RCI Policy on Pregnant Cruisers - Doctor's Note Required?

I've found several threads on this, but unfortunately nothing current. We'll be traveling with someone who is pregnant (8-9 weeks at time of cruise) and completely understand the risks related to Zika and anything else, and we have read the policy on not allowing anyone turning 24 weeks or more on the cruise. In my efforts to help them research, I've come across several old comments regarding a requirement of a doctor's note requirement for pregnant women to cruise that states that they are in good health, fit for travel and at a low/no risk. However, I can't find anything on RCI's FAQ or other pages stating that this is currently a requirement

Does anyone know if RCI *currently* has a requirement of a doctor's note for pregnancies less than 24 weeks? I can certainly contact RCI myself, but I have found I may get a different answer each time I ask. Hoping someone with first hand recent experience can chime in.

Bob is right as always, but documentation is always helpful. I'd strongly suggest you get a doctor's note, just in case.

I agree as well. Small effort to get a note from the doctor and much better safe than sorry.

The only reason they do not want any pregnant ladies at 24 weeks or above is that the fetus is viable, at 8-9 weeks the fetus is not viable so i don't think you will need a note. If you are 20 weeks or more I would get a note.

You certainly do not need a note at 8-9 weeks. Who would know unless you told them?

Well that was kind of my thought, too. But none of us have ever cruised with RCI, and they *do* say that there's a health questionnaire at check in.

Thanks all for the quick replies. I've advised her to see if her doctor will fax or email her a note of some sort just as a precaution. However, not sure that will happen either, as she will not have even had her first appointment by the time we all cruise.

I heard her interview on FOX NEWS today and you can't blame the cruise lines or the cops. She should have checked the restrictions prior to sailing, which she claims she didn't. But, she did get a note from her MD saying it was OK to travel. HOWEVER, she forgot it and left it at home. Bottom line she should have said she was 23 weeks and nobody would have cared or she should have read the rules and not gone.

She admits her Dad raised his voice to the check in desk people. Not sure exactly why they called the Sheriff, but desk people felt they needed to. Yes, the optics of assault rifle totting cops doesn't look good, but that's their equipment and they aren't taking it off unless there is a secure place to store it.

Sorry this is a non-issue.

My wife cruised on Independence when she was 21 weeks and returned just before 24 weeks. We clarified the situation with RCCL prior to travel and got a note from her GP. When we got to the port, there was a lot of head scratching and we were asked to take a seat. The doctor got off the ship and tried his best to convince us not to travel. It took a lot of persuasion on our behalf to let him agree to this. Both my wife and I are doctors and I think that this helped a bit. It is worth noting that the ships doctors are usually from an emergency medicine background and therefore often have little experience at antenatal care. The previous poster is correct in that 24 weeks is a potentially viable fetus and that is why there is the cut-off. However 8-9 weeks is still risky for ectopic or miscarriage.

Sent from my D6603 using Forums mobile app

My wife cruised on Independence when she was 21 weeks and returned just before 24 weeks. We clarified the situation with RCCL prior to travel and got a note from her GP. When we got to the port, there was a lot of head scratching and we were asked to take a seat. The doctor got off the ship and tried his best to convince us not to travel. It took a lot of persuasion on our behalf to let him agree to this. Both my wife and I are doctors and I think that this helped a bit. It is worth noting that the ships doctors are usually from an emergency medicine background and therefore often have little experience at antenatal care. The previous poster is correct in that 24 weeks is a potentially viable fetus and that is why there is the cut-off. However 8-9 weeks is still risky for ectopic or miscarriage.

Sent from my D6603 using Forums mobile app

I'm a nurse in a Level 3 NICU, and 23 weeks is the new 24 weeker .

I personally wouldn't travel at that gestation, but if I did I would make sure I had the top level travel insurance with medical evacuation to get to a decent medical facility and that it would cover the neonate.

Just bring a note. No need to even mention anything as you are within their rules. Just have it filed away in case.

The wife and I went when she was very early in pregnancy. No worries. But bring nausea medicine for her that is approved by the dr just in case. The motion could trigger that.

As for insurance just check on what your existing insurance covers. Ours cover evacuation etc and so do a lot of other policies. Many buy travel insurance not realizing how well they are cover already. And we are talking about highly unlikely scenarios so if you covered already then convenience of filing claims really shouldn’t drive your decision.

I'm a nurse in a Level 3 NICU, and 23 weeks is the new 24 weeker .

I personally wouldn't travel at that gestation, but if I did I would make sure I had the top level travel insurance with medical evacuation to get to a decent medical facility and that it would cover the neonate.

My wife and I will be cruising this May at 22/23 weeks (Bermuda, so no Zika risk). We did call RCI, and they said no note from her MD is needed (though we already got one, just in case).

Interestingly, her OB not only said she's fine to travel at 22/23 weeks, but said she actually encourages moms-to-be to travel up to 30 weeks --- especially cruises (before the cruise line cutoffs, obviously). Her belief is that expecting moms really need to get away and relax a little bit.

Either way, we're looking forward to our 5 nights away from work, emails, nursery renovations and Babies 'R' Us sales.

My wife and I will be cruising this May at 22/23 weeks (Bermuda, so no Zika risk). We did call RCI, and they said no note from her MD is needed (though we already got one, just in case).

Interestingly, her OB not only said she's fine to travel at 22/23 weeks, but said she actually encourages moms-to-be to travel up to 30 weeks --- especially cruises (before the cruise line cutoffs, obviously). Her belief is that expecting moms really need to get away and relax a little bit.

Either way, we're looking forward to our 5 nights away from work, emails, nursery renovations and Babies 'R' Us sales.

Interesting take. Our drs certainly didn’t encourage cruising but didn’t have a problem with it either. The issue is the extreme remoteness causing lack of immediate specialty care if needed. I can’t imagine a dr that encourages that while pregnant if for no other reason than to avoid stupid law suits.

current RCL health form has a statement on the bottom about pregnancy, and your signature says the information is complete and truthful.

I don't have a copy in front of me, but I always have to laugh when filling out the form.

Interesting take. Our drs certainly didn’t encourage cruising but didn’t have a problem with it either. The issue is the extreme remoteness causing lack of immediate specialty care if needed. I can’t imagine a dr that encourages that while pregnant if for no other reason than to avoid stupid law suits.

I'm sure there are cruises she advises against --- I can't see her being all enthusiastic if we had said a TA or something to a Zika area. I think the limited time at sea helps, because she did ask how long the trip, where we are going, how many days at sea. But she did say that she encourages expecting moms to travel.

current RCL health form has a statement on the bottom about pregnancy, and your signature says the information is complete and truthful.

I don't have a copy in front of me, but I always have to laugh when filling out the form.

That just protects them if you try to sue them later after fibbing in the form.