Fishing

guinness67

I will be visiting the Southern Caribbean this June on the AOS (with wife, 5 year old, MIL, and FIL). While my wife, son, and MIL enjoy the beaches, my FIL and I have been talking about doing a little catch and release wade fishing. While fishing will not be the focus of our trip, the beautiful waters will be difficult to pass up.

Does anyone have any recommendations on flats that are not too far off the beaten path in St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Aruba, or Curacao? Although I know my opportunities will be limited, I don't want to spend money on a guide (it looks like most of the places push the deep sea fishing) if I can help it. On second thought, just to cover my bases, any decent fly fishing guides that RCCL has recommended to you?

Thanks for your help.

I've been wondering about the same thing. In key west you can fish in a spot about half a mile from the cruise docks, and actually catch fish. I think theres a place near the docks in cozumel. Try asking the crews they would probably know.

My 8 year old son and I did the bottom fishing excursion in St. Maarten a few weeks ago and it was great. Just thought I would post this as an alternative option to the question you asked. It was also a catch and release program and was offered through Royal Caribbean.

kenden 1959,

What did the St. Maarten trip entail? How long was the trip? Clean boat with a good crew? My son will be 5 1/2 at the time and I think that he would have a blast.

I'm still going to investigate other fishing alternatives for my FIL and myself. Since we always give ourselves plenty of time to get back to the ship prior to departure from port, I should at least have time to wet a fly around the ship dock.

Of the four ports on the Southern itinerary, how many are tender ports? St. Maarten was one in 1998 and I have no idea about Aruba or Curacao. Thanks for the information.

Archived