How far out do they offer an up-grade (if they do)?

kelbell

This will be only our second cruise on Carnival, (we are loyal RCC).

We always book a balcony, but this cruise we booked an interior (deck 7)hoping for

an up grade. I'm thinking it like hitting the lottery.. The cruise is out of Tampa, Paradise

and not till Jan/20. SOOOO my question is , if they do offer when do they offer?

Still not sure if I will like an interior. could be my "one and done" lol

If there is an upgrade/upsell offer, it will likely be from inside to ocean view. As to "when?", we've only received one previous upsell offer and it came about 10 days prior to sailing. We passed on it as the upcharge was a little too steep for us.

Edit: the OP asked how soon upgrades/upsells might be offered and I overlooked it. I mention our experience above but beyond that, I think it will vary: generally (given reports by people on this board) it will come well after final payment date and fairly close to sailing date as that's when they really want to fill unsold cabins. If your sailing is not until next January, I would not expect anything later this year.

Edited by joepeka

Received an upsell today for the July 8 Vista sailing. Currently have a midship balcony on deck 8 offered a spa balcony on deck 14 for $150. Declined, prefer midship, lower deck as we use the stairs majority of the time. May try the spa in a future sailing, not a priority for us. :Dclear.png?emoji-grin-1677

I received an upgrade offer for inside to Balcon Deck 10 on Conquest August sailing yesterday too for $148. I jumped on it, BUT I will tell you this, don't hold your breath.... we have cruised 30 times with Carnival and that was our very first upgrade offer.

On my last cruise, we were offered an upgrade from a deck 6 balcony to a deck 7 suite ONE DAY before departure. In fact we were already in Miami and driving around in Everglades NP when they called us. Upcharge was $100pp for a 4-day.

Upgrade is free.....a PRpromo from cruiseline to open up a lower catagory to sell. Upsell is a phone call or email and you psy to bump up catagory. Upgrade as rare as a unicorn these days, upsells common on slow selling cruises or if a consolidator turns back a block of cabins.

I don't agree with that interpretation. If you move up a category that is an upgrade whether you paid for it or not.

But if what you paid originally + the upgrade price = about what it would’ve costed to book that room to begin with...it’s an upsell in my opinion.

I got our offer Tuesday. We sail Saturday. It was from a balcony to a suite. They had two cancellations that morning. I normally wouldn't have taken it (more money than I usually spend), but it's my husband's 50th birthday Sunday. ;) I took it. Our friends called and took the second one.

We are sailing in 35 days and haven’t received an up-sell email. I decided to just call and upgrade myself. What a fiasco that was! They were trying to charge me $100.00 to upgrade my cabin from an interior to 6A ocean view. I was willing to pay the difference in fares, but they wanted to charge me an additional $100.00 fee to do so. I spent 56 mins on the phone disputing with them! Finally got someone who was helpful and finally got me the paid upgrade at a better rate then I originally called on and minus the 100$ change fee!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums