Pop choir

joeyancho

We are cruising the Ruby on October. My sweetie enjoys singing. Does Princess still have the passenger choir?

They still have Pop Choir in their activity basket. If your cruise is less than 7 days it probably will not be offered, not enough time. For the 7 day Mexico it may be offered as there are 3 sea days. Check the Princess Patter each day for time and location.

What kind of songs do they sing?

On my recent one in March we did: It’s not unusual, What a night, We are the champions, Waterloo, and Sweet Caroline. The one before when it was 50th anniversary we did songs from the Sound of Music which I absolutely loved!

What kind of songs do they sing?

Sadly, horribly, and to the disgust and horror of every onboard entertainer and the Princess band, they will most definitely do Sweet Caroline. The crew and staff all hate the song and the pop choir is taught to sing it in a particularly annoying manner (which is not how Neil Diamond sings it). Neil Diamond doesn't "sing" the instrumental part after the words "Sweet Caroline" nor does he fist pump; the air and say "So Good! So Good! So Good!".

Sara, who was the musical director on Emerald Princess last year on our 28 day cruise told an audience, "I'm often told it seems like I must really love my job because I always look so happy when playing. Well, believe me, if you ever see me playing Sweet Caroline I am not having a good time." Then she asked the audience (this was in Explorer's), "Do you people like that song?" She got a lot of loud replies of, "YES!". She then looked at the crowd and asked, "WHY?". (By the way, Sara is well known and widely respected. She was being absolutely serious when she couldn't understand why people like the song.) I've asked many of the guest performers as well as many of the Princess band members (they often perform as smaller groups in the Piazza, and the main bars so they are readily approachable) and, as far as I can gather, they all wish the song would go away.

Please don't get me wrong. I understand that singing is one of the most fun activities there is and it can be a wonderful thing to do. It can bring joy to people who are doing the singing and make them feel absolutely wonderful. I just wish (along with the musicians on the ships) that the Princess Pop Choir would drop that particular song or at least stop teaching people to mangle it. For what it's worth, there will be many passengers who will enjoy the performance and who have learned the "Princess way" of singing that particular song.

To the OP: I hope your wife has a fantastic time singing with the choir. I have always been someone who sings a lot and my children (well, two of the three anyway) were choir members in school. The youngest still sings all the time. I hope she enjoys every minute of the experience even if they continue to beat that dead horse of a song.

Lol my husband did pop choir on our last cruise. He had a blast but most assuredly he a several others irritated those who made it clear they could sing. So my husband can’t sing and he and I would guess several others were there to do something fun. At one point some lady even asked the director to go over pitch as “some people are off”. Well I can guarantee my husband doesn’t even know what pitch is. But fist pumps and graceful arms, he did it all and had a blast. Guarantee he will do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On my recent one in March we did: It’s not unusual, What a night, We are the champions, Waterloo, and Sweet Caroline. The one before when it was 50th anniversary we did songs from the Sound of Music which I absolutely loved!

The problem is that these are the songs that have been used ever since the Pop Choir was introduced several years ago (with the exception of the Sound of Music ones for a few months).

It is time to select different material. Those who have participated several times would like new material. And certainly those who have heard the Pop Choir several times would love to hear something different.

"Sadly, horribly, and to the disgust and horror of every onboard entertainer and the Princess band, they will most definitely do Sweet Caroline. The crew and staff all hate the song and the pop choir is taught to sing it in a particularly annoying manner (which is not how Neil Diamond sings it)."

When I did this song in Pop Choir the leader told us not to do the so-goods and the trombone part. We were told that is the audience part.

I have done Pop Choir a few times and have dropped out of it a few times. How enjoyable it is for me really depends almost totally on how musically trained and proficient the leader is, as well as the songs they select. They have maybe 4 or 5 different sets which they can use as printed or mix songs from different sets.

The problem is that these are the songs that have been used ever since the Pop Choir was introduced several years ago (with the exception of the Sound of Music ones for a few months).

It is time to select different material. Those who have participated several times would like new material. And certainly those who have heard the Pop Choir several times would love to hear something different.

Yep. There are some long time Princess cruisers who loved the Pop Choir but gave up participating as the songs never seem to change.