Question about drink package?? Son cannot drink for health reasons.GF wants drink pac

Galleon1234

I've heard of lots of people presenting valid confirmation of their inability to drink from doctors and other legitimate sources- medical issues, pregnancy, recovering alcoholic... I've never heard of Carnival lightening up the rules to allow them to not purchase Cheers... without exception that I know if, all passengers over 21 in the cabin must buy Cheers.

Ok that is a shame CARNIVAL. RCCL will allow it in certain situations. No one else needs to reply

Thanks

I'm going to reply anyway because I have seen people say on these forums that Carnival has made an exception for people who have valid medical proof. I wish I could remember the thread they were talking about it. It was within the last month and in a thread about Cheers, that's all I remember.

Ok that is a shame CARNIVAL. RCCL will allow it in certain situations. No one else needs to reply

Thanks

Could put Cheers pax in one cabin and nonCheers pax in another Cabin. Obviously only works if you’re traveling with others.

I thought I had read the same thing. Carnival loses if they do not allow exceptions. Probably many couples in the same situations.

How does Carnival “lose”? If the GF doesn’t get the drink package, she’s not going to drink at all? What’s the big deal to just pay as you go for drinks?

They lose because she may only drink a few drinks per day or maybe not even one on some days. Cheers cost $51.95 per day. Let's say her cruise is 7 days. If she bought Cheers, she would pay $363.65. If she limits herself to say 5 drinks a day at $8 per drink she would have spent $280. Carnival just lost $83.65. A huge loss? No, but that's how Carnival would lose.

How does Carnival “lose”? If the GF doesn’t get the drink package, she’s not going to drink at all? What’s the big deal to just pay as you go for drinks?

And if the BF doesn't drink at all, wouldn't it be cheaper for her to buy her own ( or him buy her drinks) than put out double the $ for her to get her selfish way?

As far as I know even Royal Caribbean Now does not make exceptions but I could be wrong

They will actually, but the other person has to buy the refreshment package, not the soda package, but the step up from that.

However, due to people showing "documentation" that they can't drink and the rules get lifted, the true cheaters attempt to share a package and therefore cruiselines will implement what Carnival has and not give any exceptions.

Quite honestly, with the price and restrictions that Carnival and Princess have I don't feel that the drink package is worth it. On Royal though, they often do discount their drink packages prior to sailing and you can find the package for about $42/day.

They will actually, but the other person has to buy the refreshment package, not the soda package, but the step up from that.

However, due to people showing "documentation" that they can't drink and the rules get lifted, the true cheaters attempt to share a package and therefore cruiselines will implement what Carnival has and not give any exceptions.

Quite honestly, with the price and restrictions that Carnival and Princess have I don't feel that the drink package is worth it. On Royal though, they often do discount their drink packages prior to sailing and you can find the package for about $42/day.

Thanks for the clarification. I knew both had to buy a package on Royal didn't realize they didn't have to be the same package

We were able to get an exception when my wife was pregnant back in 2014. We asked at guest services when on board, they called management and the head food and beverage officer met us and he personally took us over to the atrium bar and rung it up for just me. He also reminded me with a wink that my card also was good for unlimited virgin drinks and sodas but my wife’s would be charged like usual.

I know it’s not common to get an exception, but the point is that it never hurts to ask when on board. We really appreciated it.