Traveling with a minor

We are going on the Anthem in June and my dd is bringing her friend who is 17 and has a passport. Do I need something for this friend from her mom? Not sure if they require something for those over 16.

I would have a notarized letter, signed by the parents with the following info:

Approval to take the child on the cruise with all the stops listed.

Approval to make medical decisions on behalf of the child.

Approval to sign waivers on behalf of the child.

We are taking our daughter’s 18 year old friend with us and were told by multiple people at Royal Caribbean that we need a letter since she is under 21. The cruise line considers anyone under 21, and not married, a minor in regards to everything. Even though she can make all of these decisions by herself on land, we are going to have her parents give us a notarized letter just in case.

We are taking our daughter’s 18 year old friend with us and were told by multiple people at Royal Caribbean that we need a letter since she is under 21. The cruise line considers anyone under 21, and not married, a minor in regards to everything. Even though she can make all of these decisions by herself on land, we are going to have her parents give us a notarized letter just in case.

Nope. Either they're reading it wrong or you're misunderstanding what they're saying. An under-21yo can't book a room without an adult in the room or adjacent, but they are still considered a legal adult.

My son is 18yo and completely independent on the ship. He can exit in ports without an adult (when he was 17yo he had to have an adult with him to get off the ship), and he can sign his own waivers, and he can be out past curfew. He's not allowed to be on a cruise without an adult over the age of 21yo, but he's not "considered a minor" for legal purposes on board the ship itself. He is legally an adult on the ship.

Here's the info from the RC website:

Royal Caribbean International's minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings originating in North America is twenty-one (21). The minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is eighteen (18).

The Company retains the right, on rare occasions, to raise the minimum age to sail unaccompanied on any sailing when local laws require or permit such a modification.

For voyages originating in North America:

No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.

Certain other restrictions and conditions will apply; such as compliance with the age twenty-one (21) alcohol policy, and proof of marriage for underage couples or proof of active duty military status required.

Isn't it sad that you can lay your life on the line for your country, but you can't book a cabin on a vacation

Actually, those who DO put their life on the line for their country CAN book a cabin on vacation.

My 18yo will be active military in July, and after that, he will be able to book a cruise without me, even before his 21st birthday.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and
for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.