Solo over 55

roughshot60

I hope your brother was just kidding.   I am 60 and I only cruise solo. Life brings us all different things. My family is very small and all love to cruise.  So they know I go on my own and at this point, all they say to me is BON VOYAGE:classic_smile:.....after cruising on my own since 2003, IF (that is a BIG IF), if something ever happened to me? At least I would be going out on MY terms...….in my most peaceful place in the world......on a ship on the seas. It may sound morbid to some of you, but I am happier on cruiseship than here on land...…...it is just the way it is for me.

• Like 4

Yes, I hope your brother was kidding.  If not, tell him you're in good company!

I'll be 74 when I take my 6th or 7th solo cruise in Aug.  And I've already booked my 75th b'day cruise for Spring 2020.

My (small) family just says "have fun & be careful."

ENJOY!

8 hours ago, Lois R said:

I hope your brother was just kidding.   I am 60 and I only cruise solo. Life brings us all different things. My family is very small and all love to cruise.  So they know I go on my own and at this point, all they say to me is BON VOYAGE:classic_smile:.....after cruising on my own since 2003, IF (that is a BIG IF), if something ever happened to me? At least I would be going out on MY terms...….in my most peaceful place in the world......on a ship on the seas. It may sound morbid to some of you, but I am happier on cruiseship than here on land...…...it is just the way it is for me.

My brother is a real pain in the ***   Since our dad died, he thinks "he's head of the family"  and is full of much unwanted advice that I ignore...LOL   Many times I take it with a grain of salt.  I know he is doing is best looking out for his little sis, but it is frustrating at times.  I keep reminding him that I must be doing something right with my life.  I managed to hold a steady job, buy 3 automobiles by myself,   and save for retirement.  One day he might listen to me!! LOL  

• Like 2

I cruised solo for the first time in January. I liked it so much that I’ve booked a solo B2B for next January.  I’ve done several family cruises but found that I prefer solo. My family was a little worried when I told them, I waited til 3 weeks before the trip to tell them. This time I told them as soon as I booked for January. They don’t have a problem, they know that I’m very careful and don’t put myself in risky situations. For me solo is my way to cruise from now on.

8 minutes ago, titansrobin said:

I cruised solo for the first time in January. I liked it so much that I’ve booked a solo B2B for next January.  I’ve done several family cruises but found that I prefer solo. My family was a little worried when I told them, I waited til 3 weeks before the trip to tell them. This time I told them as soon as I booked for January. They don’t have a problem, they know that I’m very careful and don’t put myself in risky situations. For me solo is my way to cruise from now on.

Good for you:classic_biggrin:!!!!  Glad you loved it!!  I am sailing again in April (solo of course). I am trying Azamara for the first time and from everything I have read, I am planning to have a wonderful cruise:classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, Debbborra said:

I tend to be shy, reserved and introverted. What's the best way to meet people on a cruise when you go solo?

Eat at Traditional dining in the Min Dining Room -- table for 6-8.  Give it 2-3 days; if you're not hitting it off w/the other people after that, ask the Matre d' to move you. 

At Anytime Dining, you're starting all over w/new folks every night (not my thing).  Also, join a group at games (trivia, etc. -- check the Patter daily). [I follow my own advice for dinner but not for games; don't care for them.]

And don't be afraid of ALONE time!  Do you spend every minute w/other people at home?  Give yourself time to sit, read, watch the sea -- whatever you find relaxing.

• Like 1

I'm from Sydney, Australia and have been cruising solo for over ten years (am 64).  Have never had a problem being lonely, apart from the times I've caught a respiratory bug on board and been sick for several days...but enough about that.

Always seek out the group for solo travellers on the ship, which you'll find via the daily newsletter.  In my experience, NCL looks after solos the best with a dedicated crew member, which most of the other cruise lines don't.  However, there's almost always a solo get together on the first or second day of a sailing and you'll usually find the group in one of the bars - but it might only be two or three, don't expect a big crowd and you won't be disappointed.  I've met some lovely people this way who make good dinner and clubbing companions. 

Plus you might meet some other solos on the organised excursions (I take private tours arranged in advance via CC roll calls).  However, I wouldn't count on this as I've found that there are not usually many solos on organised excursions - though it often makes getting a seat at the last minute much easier.  You'll probably get to talk to a lot of couples and families this way, but I find that it's usually me that has to start the conversations!! 

Edited by msdunn
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Debbborra said:

I tend to be shy, reserved and introverted. What's the best way to meet people on a cruise when you go solo?

I suffer from and sometimes enjoy the same affliction.  I just got back from my 2nd solo last Sunday.  I went to every solo meet and went to the MDR with the group 3 times and found someone at the solo meet to eat with a couple other times.  I also went to Cruise Critic Meet and Mingles and Veterans meets.  In short I went where there were people that I shared some interest with.  The Roll Call is a great place to find someone with common interests.

One trip with the solo group to the MDR I was the lone 69 year old at a table where all the others were early 20's to mid 30's.  I still had a great time and was included in the conversations.  A couple of the young ladies from that table gave me a hug on the last cruise night.

I should have probably have mentioned going to the Facebook site for your cruise.  I absolutely do not do Facebook so I forget about it but some of the solos were already acquainted on FB before the cruise. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Debbborra said:

Hi,:classic_smile: see if there is a roll call started for your sailing and if there is, introduce yourself. Usually folks are pretty welcoming. Also, if you find activities on board that are appealing to you, join in, example would be trivia. Nice way to meet people. And if you go on an excursion, that is a nice way to chat with others too. 

Depending on the cruise line, when you go for dinner, some lines put solos or together.  I would speak with the hostess and/or Maitr'd  and let them know you would like to see if there are others who would like to dine together.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I like travelling alone. I like being able to decide where to go and when etc. I don't mind my own company. But I have had some lonely trips. 

This trip I am going with my uncle. But I'm already eyeing the next trip. 

• 1 month later...

One thing that has concerned me about traveling solo and I haven't seen it addressed is the feeling of being safe.  I have been contemplating taking a solo cruise since becoming a widow in 2018.  My family thinks I am crazy and have discouraged me from doing so.  I am 63 and currently planning a cruise with a friend who has never cruised before so not sure if this is any better.  In the past, I have always taken taxis to and from the airport but I don't think I would feel safe getting into a taxi being alone.  I think I would opt for the transfers from the cruise line for that purpose.  From what I have read, your experiences all seem positive and I am now considering booking another cruise for myself!  I look forward to relaxing on the promenade deck with a good book and coming and going as I please.   My main concern is the safety.  Have any of you that have traveled alone ever felt unsafe in your travels?

Edited by teacha50

I am 64 and divorced.  After a disastrous trip a few years ago with an old friend, I've since taken nine cruises by myself and never felt unsafe.  Since I'm in Australia and mostly take European cruises, that means crossing the world alone and I've never had a problem...even in Cairo.  (I only felt threatened by the stomach bug I picked up there within 12 hours of arriving.)  As a retiree, I travel on a tight budget and use airport buses when I arrive somewhere during the day (or early evening) to get into cities and book flights which avoid late night arrivals.  I would urge you to travel solo when/if necessary and stop worrying as - with a little bit of common sense - there is nothing to be concerned about.  Now I wouldn't do it any other way!!  

• Like 1

I never felt unsafe on my first solo in January. I stayed 2 nights in Ft Lauderdale before cruise. I took a taxi from airport to hotel and from hotel to the cruise port. The hotel was on 17th so you could walk to shopping and restaurants. When I take a taxi I take a photo of the taxi number and the driver and send to someone back home. The driver knows I do it and it gives me a sense of security. Will be traveling solo in October and January.

3 hours ago, teacha50 said:

One thing that has concerned me about traveling solo and I haven't seen it addressed is the feeling of being safe.  I have been contemplating taking a solo cruise since becoming a widow in 2018.  My family thinks I am crazy and have discouraged me from doing so.  I am 63 and currently planning a cruise with a friend who has never cruised before so not sure if this is any better.  In the past, I have always taken taxis to and from the airport but I don't think I would feel safe getting into a taxi being alone.  I think I would opt for the transfers from the cruise line for that purpose.  From what I have read, your experiences all seem positive and I am now considering booking another cruise for myself!  I look forward to relaxing on the promenade deck with a good book and coming and going as I please.   My main concern is the safety.  Have any of you that have traveled alone ever felt unsafe in your travels?

Safety?  Research, Investigate & Plan!  Your PLAN may be a bit different each trip.  Different tactics work in different places.

I take a taxi in London from the airport to the hotel (their "airport shuttle" is a bus; can't handle that with my walker/luggage); no problems.  Last year, I had a free afternoon in London & took a taxi (booked by the hotel) to Windsor for a few hours -- great. 

In Chile, I pre-booked a car service (recommended here on CC) to meet me at the airport & to the hotel. SO glad I did: my flight was 12 hrs. late, but the driver was there, sign in hand (I'd contacted my DD who contacted the car service).  I used the same service in B. Aires at the end of the cruise.

This summer, I'll be flying into NYC the morning of the cruise, so I'm using the Princess transfer bus; it's the easiest this time.

On the ship, I use the same common sense that I do at home, around town.   Mostly I take ship's excursions, but will do private tours (from my Roll Call).  In a familiar port, I may book a tour on my own or simply wander on my own.

Know your comfort level; have a plan; & wear a whistle if it makes you feel better!

Interesting to read these posts;  I have only cruised twice so far - with my then 14- yr old son in 2007 and with my mother in 2010.  I am going solo in Nov 2020 on Breeze for 8 nights, and can't wait!  I am 60, divorced, and very independent.  If I don't have a friend or date to go somewhere I want to (movie, concert, restaurant, etc) I am very comfortable going solo

I will probably try NCL's solo cabin (the Haven?) as well in the future

• 3 weeks later...

I am new to cruising and just completed a reposition from LA to Vancouver, BC on May 12, 2019.  My next cruise will be Vancouver to Alaska this fall if I can find a reasonable solo ticket. Is it best for solo cruisers to check trips out through a travel agent? 

I personally always use a travel agent (TA) & have for 40 years (not the same one).  A TA is your advocate if there's nay issue.

A  "reasonable solo ticket" to Alaska is something like a unicorn.  Alaska is such a popular cruise that it's supply & demand all the way. Many of the 2019 Alaska cruises are sold out.  Work with a TA & look for last minute deals (if you don't have to fly to Vancouver.

Good luck!  You'll LOVE Alaska!  I just booked my 5th AK cruise, for next year.

On 4/17/2018 at 2:57 PM, roughshot60 said:

Some

Love reading all the positives on solo cruising.

I am going on my first SOLO cruise next month on HA. I am super scared!  

I married at the age of 18 and have never been by myself until 3 years ago that my husband passed away.

I have to learn how to fly, even if it’s only with one wing.

Having second thoughts about picking a 12 day cruise...can’t go back now everything is paid.

Any word of advice from you brave mariners?

6 hours ago, Gr8mom said:

I married at the age of 18 and have never been by myself until 3 years ago that my husband passed away.

Having second thoughts about picking a 12 day cruise...can’t go back now everything is paid.

I'm sure you will be fine.  First thing after boarding is to look for the newsletter in your cabin.  Find the solo gathering which is usually on the first evening, or 2nd day, and be sure to go along.  It is a good opportunity to meet others and have companions for dinner and/or activities aboard.  

Have you also joined the relevant roll call here on CC for your cruise?  That's a good way to organise tours with other travellers and save some money as private tours are often better and certainly cheaper than those offered by the ship.  I am doing just that for my HAL cruise on 2nd August ex Amsterdam.  Enjoy!!

14 hours ago, Gr8mom said:

Hi, Gr8mom

I've been cruising solo to Europe & S. America for several years now; I leave for Canada & Greenland in Aug.  It's both liberating & a bit daunting.

If you do a "solo cruisers" search here on CC, you'll find dozens of posts about this adventure -- 99% of them positive.  Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2019 at 7:23 PM, Madgey said:

I am new to cruising and just completed a reposition from LA to Vancouver, BC on May 12, 2019.  My next cruise will be Vancouver to Alaska this fall if I can find a reasonable solo ticket. Is it best for solo cruisers to check trips out through a travel agent? 

Last august I was looking for 2019 cruises and the TA quoted me a great rate for Sept 2018. If you can leave on short notice there might be some deals available.

I did a mock booking on Royal yesterday as a solo with BOGO 50 off, over 65 disc, and them did a booking for two.

The booking for two was less. I guess some people book for two and when the second is a no show you get the port taxes and fees back. Booking for two can sometimes also get available rooms that they won't give to a solo.

Thanks for all the tips! I have enjoyed reading the posts and plan to speak with a TA soon and will share any new information I discover.

Edited by Madgey
Post was too short

• 2 weeks later...

I went solo to Alaska on Carnival and returned last week.  My sister and I always cruise together but she had no interest in Alaska.  I am former law enforcement and very independent.  I can tell you, it is VERY safe on a cruise.  My solo cruise was great!  I was able to read my book when on the ship.  I met so many people and since the Carnival Legend is a smaller ship, I would see them through the week.  I had anytime dining and each night I asked to dine by myself.  I either watched the crowd, or played games on my phone!  Haha.   This was my 10th cruise, but first alone.  I even flew from Philly to Seattle.  You will have  blast........and a cabin for yourself!

Edited by JerseyHorseLover

I did my first solo cruise in January 2018 as a retirement present to myself. I was on the Norwegian Epic and, even though I was in a balcony room and not one of the solo studio rooms, I still went to the gathering in the studio lounge each night. I met some great people and was always with a group for dinners and shows. During the day, when not on excursions, I had breakfast and lunch at the buffet and spent a lot of time sitting on my balcony reading and watching the water, which was perfect for me. What I love most about cruising is that I can do as much or as little as I want. 

Edited by 52Daffodils