Cancel 1 of 3 in a cabin and keeping cabin

Help- if 1 person in a group of 3 is a no show and we cancel a day before sailing RCCL is telling us the fare for the cancelled guest will be refunded even if after final payment without a penalty as long as the other 2 still cruise. Since there will only be 2 left in the cabin they can make us move to a double cabin.

We REALLY want to keep the cabin we have because its the only one that connects to a D8 cabin that my husband and son are in. We have 4 cabins in a row since we booked so early.

Anyone have any experience with canceling like this? Do they truly make you move to a different cabin at the last minute, can we cancel at the time of checking in and still get a refund?

You used to be able to cancel and get a full refund up to 14 days prior to sailing and I suspect that is still the case. I seriously doubt the information that you received on getting a full refund up to one day prior to sailing.

You do run the slight risk that they will make you move to a double occupancy cabin though.

You can just have the third be a no show and get a refund of port fees and taxes.

Wait until your 15 days out and call Royal, Don't think they would boot you out considering you have four cabins in a row. Fourteen days out the ship is pretty much full. If you call and don't get the answer your looking for just say thanks and call back a hour later. happy cruising

... RCCL is telling us the fare for the cancelled guest will be refunded even if after final payment without a penalty as long as the other 2 still cruise. ...

Ask RC to send you that in writing.

If one person in a group of three is a no-show, why on earth would anyone think that individual is entitled to a refund? Furthermore, three and four person staterooms are very valuable, both to those of us that seek them out, and to RCI in terms of revenue. So yes, I would assume they would either NOT refund anyone, or if they even considered doing so, they would relocate you to an equivalent stateroom that holds two people. Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll refund it (although I can't imagine why) and leave you there.

Am always confused when this subject comes up. DH and I always sail in a balcony or suite and in most instances they are cabins for 4. Have we just been lucky? January cruise was JS and April cruise was GS and just the 2 of us were in the cabin. I guess if they needed the cabin they might move you but just because one opts out should not mean automatic cabin change. What is wrong with my thinking?

Am always confused when this subject comes up. DH and I always sail in a balcony or suite and in most instances they are cabins for 4. Have we just been lucky? January cruise was JS and April cruise was GS and just the 2 of us were in the cabin. I guess if they needed the cabin they might move you but just because one opts out should not mean automatic cabin change. What is wrong with my thinking?

It seems that Royal applies the minimum occupancy requirement only to certain sailings.

Well I was too worried to get kicked out of the cabin that connects to family so rebooked us all in a different block that cost a bit more but is guaranteed. I just wasnt willing to take the risk and online it wouldn't give me D5 cabins as an option, even though I willing to pay a bit extra per person.

My experience has been that Royal will not refund if the 3rd guest has to cancel if you are past final payment. As Bob said, get that in writing somewhere. There’s really no need to “cancel” the guest, just have them not show up. Taxes and port fees will be refunded, but not the fare. You will not be charged gratuities for them either.

If you are before final payment and cancel, depending on your sailing they may want to reclaim the room and put you in a room for 2, but I would expect that would be unlikely.

Last year DH had to cancel after final payment. We were 3 in a triple cabin on Allure. We cancelled him off the reservation at 15 days before sailing and received a full refund for his cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Help- if 1 person in a group of 3 is a no show and we cancel a day before sailing RCCL is telling us the fare for the cancelled guest will be refunded even if after final payment without a penalty as long as the other 2 still cruise. Since there will only be 2 left in the cabin they can make us move to a double cabin.

We REALLY want to keep the cabin we have because its the only one that connects to a D8 cabin that my husband and son are in. We have 4 cabins in a row since we booked so early.

Anyone have any experience with canceling like this? Do they truly make you move to a different cabin at the last minute, can we cancel at the time of checking in and still get a refund?

If one person in a group of three is a no-show, why on earth would anyone think that individual is entitled to a refund? Furthermore, three and four person staterooms are very valuable, both to those of us that seek them out, and to RCI in terms of revenue. So yes, I would assume they would either NOT refund anyone, or if they even considered doing so, they would relocate you to an equivalent stateroom that holds two people. Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll refund it (although I can't imagine why) and leave you there.
There is a big difference between being a no show and cancelling 1 person the day before the cruise. Regardless of which one, there would be no refund ecept for taxes. Very unlikely you would be moved so late before the cruise

Well I was too worried to get kicked out of the cabin that connects to family so rebooked us all in a different block that cost a bit more but is guaranteed. I just wasnt willing to take the risk and online it wouldn't give me D5 cabins as an option, even though I willing to pay a bit extra per person.

What is guaranteed?

We cancelled one in a cabin for 3 and didn't get the refund. Someone else said they did. It's been several years since we had this happen and we didn't have travel insurance. We now never cruise without a "cancel for any reason" policy. They did, however, let us keep the connecting cabin with 2, rather than the three.

Snit, I may be wrong, but it seems this is a fairly new occurrence. With the redesignation of stateroom categories, RCI has distinctly differentiated double and quad occupancy rooms into specific unique categories. You are correct that it used to all be one.

Honestly, I like it. I think a lot of times a quad room was booked by two without any intention, but simply because they were all identified the same way. I now travel with at least six and up to twelve people (often have the teens bring friends). So having those staterooms a little more available is a huge plus.

EDIT: Suites are a different beast altogether, as pretty much every JS, GS or OS are for up to four people, but obviously not restricted to such.