Melbourne

laurieb

Thank you Hawka!

The restaurant menu looks very good; I'm assuming they have a great selection of Australian reds on offer.

We'll be looking for the penguins during the day too; thanks for the tip!!

I'm looking at a tour for kangaroo and koala interaction; found the following for a tour but it doesn't say specifically where this is. any guesses?

"Walk amongst large free ranging "mobs" (groups) of wild kangaroos. Spot Emus, Cockatoos and other unique Australian wildlife on the grassland, in the bush and around the billabongs of Melbourne's Western Plains. Visit an open forest in a National Park that is home to a large and healthy population of wild koalas. The koalas research project ensures that on most days you'll have multiple sightings of these delightful creatures.

Within easy reach from the center of the city of Melbourne, these environments provide the perfect introduction to Australia's unique wildlife and indigenous culture. The area you walk through is of great significance to the local Aboriginal People of the Wathaurong Tribe. Freshwater lakes and billabongs nearby provided a rich food source for them, and some signs of their occupation still remain."

Thank you Hawka!

The restaurant menu looks very good; I'm assuming they have a great selection of Australian reds on offer.

We'll be looking for the penguins during the day too; thanks for the tip!!

dont know about the wine looking at drinks menu has south Aust wine mornington wine so yeah sounds like a few aussie ones mixed with nz ones and i did see an italian one too so a good selection

http://www.topolinos.com.au/wine.html

I'm looking at a tour for kangaroo and koala interaction; found the following for a tour but it doesn't say specifically where this is. any guesses?

"Walk amongst large free ranging "mobs" (groups) of wild kangaroos. Spot Emus, Cockatoos and other unique Australian wildlife on the grassland, in the bush and around the billabongs of Melbourne's Western Plains. Visit an open forest in a National Park that is home to a large and healthy population of wild koalas. The koalas research project ensures that on most days you'll have multiple sightings of these delightful creatures.

Within easy reach from the center of the city of Melbourne, these environments provide the perfect introduction to Australia's unique wildlife and indigenous culture. The area you walk through is of great significance to the local Aboriginal People of the Wathaurong Tribe. Freshwater lakes and billabongs nearby provided a rich food source for them, and some signs of their occupation still remain."

if you mean touching them that may not happen with Koala's not many places get to hold them these days kangas maybe lucky to touch them what ever you do dont feed them human food that is causing troubles in places where people have done so . that maybe a look or photo only thing too but i am only guessing

"Get up-close to native wildlife"

• this you maybe lucky on that bit but havent done this tour so dont know

Not sure, but at a guess could be Brisbane Ranges NP ... there certainly is (or at least was) a koala research project in Brisbane Ranges. Maybe Serendip Sanctuary as well.

Not sure what sort of “interaction” you’d get - I’d suspect sightings, rather than “up close and personal” - roos might approach if they’re used to humans (usually because they’ve been fed by tourists, which creates a whole host of problems. Koalas generally are not able to be handled by the public - I think Qld, possibly South Australia are the exceptions. Not as cute as they look either...they’ve got bloody big claws and they bite (though not as dangerous as drop bears ...)

It sounds like the Brisbane Ranges National Park which is west of Melbourne. What is the tour company or website offering this tour?

Leigh

Trying to decide which is the best area to book our airbnb. I've narrowed it down a bit to 3 choices. One in Fitzroy, one close to Queen Victoria Market, and the other in Carlton close to the Uni. Here's a link if someone in the Melbourne area could give some insight, I would greatly appreciate it. I've looked and researched, and looked again - and I still can't make up my mind. Or if you have another suggestion, please share! Here's the link to the my list of "favorites"

https://www.airbnb.com/wishlists/311289602 . I did finally decide on a time frame : March 27 - April 6th, after discovering that the first date I chose was in the middle of the Wine and Food Festival! Too many people for me.

Lee Ann

Trying to decide which is the best area to book our airbnb. I've narrowed it down a bit to 3 choices. One in Fitzroy, one close to Queen Victoria Market, and the other in Carlton close to the Uni. Here's a link if someone in the Melbourne area could give some insight, I would greatly appreciate it. I've looked and researched, and looked again - and I still can't make up my mind. Or if you have another suggestion, please share! Here's the link to the my list of "favorites"

https://www.airbnb.com/wishlists/311289602 . I did finally decide on a time frame : March 27 - April 6th, after discovering that the first date I chose was in the middle of the Wine and Food Festival! Too many people for me.

Lee Ann

Lee Ann, the link you provided goes to a sign in page. Could you copy and paste the ones on your wishlist?

All three are are close to the city, I would probably choose the one near Queen Vic market just for the convenience but that is without knowing anything about the exact position or the property. All are close to public transport.

Leigh

Lee Ann, the link you provided goes to a sign in page. Could you copy and paste the ones on your wishlist?

All three are are close to the city, I would probably choose the one near Queen Vic market just for the convenience but that is without knowing anything about the exact position or the property. All are close to public transport.

Leigh

Didn't think about needing a password. At an event, but will post when I get home.

Leigh

Hi Leigh,

Let's see if this works any better ;p

Entire apartment · 1 bedConveniently Located 1bd ApartmentPrice$99per night52 reviews52 · Superhost

Entire apartment · 1 bedTreehouse apartment in FitzroyPrice$100per night255 reviews255 · Superhost

Entire apartment · 2 bedsCiao! CarltonPrice$85per night3 reviews3

Modern City Living at a Heritage Fitzroy Flat ( I can't get a direct link to work. And if I'm not mistaken this in a scene from Offspring: the bench that Zara told Jimmy she was pregnant

Our biggest criteria are : it's a safe neighborhood/area, convenient trams/etc, and can walk to city sites.

Thanks so much for taking time to assist in my quest!

Lee Ann

Lee Ann,

I looked at the links you provided. It's difficult to say much about the areas the three apartments are in as we don't know the exact addresses. All are close to public transport. But like any big city, just be aware of your surroundings and take care. From the photos I liked the Carlton one the best and it seemed to have the best facilities. It also has been newly decorated. It is close to Lygon Street which is well known for its Italian cafes and restaurants.

Good luck in your choice of apartment and your holiday in Melbourne.

Leigh

Lee Ann,

I looked at the links you provided. It's difficult to say much about the areas the three apartments are in as we don't know the exact addresses. All are close to public transport. But like any big city, just be aware of your surroundings and take care. From the photos I liked the Carlton one the best and it seemed to have the best facilities. It also has been newly decorated. It is close to Lygon Street which is well known for its Italian cafes and restaurants.

Leigh

those Italian restaurants yum

http://www.donninis.com.au/

had a meal here and its awesome as loved it been there twice want to go back its the best

there maybe one that isnt great check reviews there is one down st i have forgotten name that i would not go to but i have been o this one and Tiamo as well and they are both great

Lee Ann,

Leigh

Thanks for taking your time to check these out.

Not having the addresses does make it difficult. The Carlton one is my DH's favorite.

I try to blow up the given map areas to get an idea of the cross streets, then look them up on Google's satellite maps. Some times I can actually figure out where they are by comparing photos of the building or areas. That's how I found the Beswike Terrace was the same site as the scene from Offspring - it's the same bench/foliage/signage. Can you tell I have just a tiny touch of OCD?? It's served me well as a nurse, not so much as a travel planner :confused:

I do have another question - if you're up for it..... The AFL games will have started so we will definitely attend a game. Looking at the schedule, there are many matches played on the same day. Are the tickets for a specific game time or do you get to stay for all the games being played?

those Italian restaurants yum

http://www.donninis.com.au/

had a meal here and its awesome as loved it been there twice want to go back its the best

there maybe one that isnt great check reviews there is one down st i have forgotten name that i would not go to but i have been o this one and Tiamo as well and they are both great

Thanks so much for the recommendations!

Italian is probably our favorite cuisine. I checked out the menu - YUM! I have this feeling we could eat at a different place for each meal for every day we are there, and not get off the same street!

Thanks for taking your time to check these out.

Not having the addresses does make it difficult. The Carlton one is my DH's favorite.

I try to blow up the given map areas to get an idea of the cross streets, then look them up on Google's satellite maps. Some times I can actually figure out where they are by comparing photos of the building or areas. That's how I found the Beswike Terrace was the same site as the scene from Offspring - it's the same bench/foliage/signage. Can you tell I have just a tiny touch of OCD?? It's served me well as a nurse, not so much as a travel planner :confused:

I do have another question - if you're up for it..... The AFL games will have started so we will definitely attend a game. Looking at the schedule, there are many matches played on the same day. Are the tickets for a specific game time or do you get to stay for all the games being played?

I do the same with Google! Re the AFL games. Yes the season will have started by then. There is only one game on at any venue. There are 18 teams - 10 from Victoria (where the league originated from the the Victorian Football League, 9 of which are in Melbourne and one at Geelong. Then there are two teams each from Queensland, New South Wales, South Australia and West Australia, based in their capital cities. There will usually be 4 games in these cities and the other five in Melbourne/Geelong. The games are usually played Friday evenings, Saturday afternoon and evening and Sunday afternoon starting at different times. There are 2 stadiums in Melbourne and 1 in Geelong.Sometimes games will be played on a Thursday evening or Monday afternoon if a public holiday. You should be able to purchase tickets once you arrive in Melbourne The fixture for 2019 will be released in October so keep an eye out for it.

My family are members of their respective clubs - Essendon Bombers for myself, daughter and grandson and Melbourne Demons for husband, son and granddaughters so we attend all of their games played in Melbourne.

If you have any questions please ask.

Leigh

I do the same with Google! Re the AFL games. Yes the season will have started by then. There is only one game on at any venue. There are 18 teams - 10 from Victoria (where the league originated from the the Victorian Football League, 9 of which are in Melbourne and one at Geelong. Then there are two teams each from Queensland, New South Wales, South Australia and West Australia, based in their capital cities. There will usually be 4 games in these cities and the other five in Melbourne/Geelong. The games are usually played Friday evenings, Saturday afternoon and evening and Sunday afternoon starting at different times. There are 2 stadiums in Melbourne and 1 in Geelong.Sometimes games will be played on a Thursday evening or Monday afternoon if a public holiday. You should be able to purchase tickets once you arrive in Melbourne The fixture for 2019 will be released in October so keep an eye out for it.

My family are members of their respective clubs - Essendon Bombers for myself, daughter and grandson and Melbourne Demons for husband, son and granddaughters so we attend all of their games played in Melbourne.

Leigh

i will second this i am a hawk member i go to all melb games tickets go on sale i think around march if i remember right and yes fixture comes out October sometime

My favourite Italian around Melb:

La Spaghettata on Lygon St Carlton

Spaghetti St on Bourke St in CBD (complete with old sewing machine tables and an old man with an accordion)

Maccaroni Trattoria in Manchester Lane off Collins St

All unpretentious good old fashioned proper italian.

Leigh

I have a question Leigh, or any of the AFL fans, when I go to a Rugby League game up here, there are almost always earlier games, sometimes just one sometimes two, or in the local comp three early games. reserve grade etc, having never been to a major AFL game live, is it the same or just 1sts.

I have a question Leigh, or any of the AFL fans, when I go to a Rugby League game up here, there are almost always earlier games, sometimes just one sometimes two, or in the local comp three early games. reserve grade etc, having never been to a major AFL game live, is it the same or just 1sts.

Usually just the 1sts Mr GUT. In the old days of the VFL when all the clubs had reserves and U19s it was the same as the rugby league. But no more unfortunately. Very occasionally there will be a curtain raiser but not often.

Leigh

Spaghetti St on Bourke St in CBD (complete with old sewing machine tables and an old man with an accordion)

havent tried that one, will have to one day , have had mona lisa i think its called it was nice too,

there is one not far from that one that i would not go to but forgotten name

I can absolutely recommend Macaroni Trattoria off Collins Street (it's literally steps off the tram line) and is fantastic.

LaCamera Southgate is excellent as well, but I definitely suggest making reservations.

Spaghetti Tree on Bourke Street is a classic old Italian restaurant, and would be below the others on my list, but still worth a visit if you're in the area. Pellegrini's is a great little coffee bar practically across the street from Spaghetti Tree and well worth the visit for the classic Melbourne coffee feel. They serve meals at the counter as well.

WOW - I thought I was lost before trying to figure out how AFL games run :confused:. You guys are speaking a foreign language, LOL! Here in the states no matter the pro sport (except maybe tennis) it's almost always only one game for any one day and time.

So...when you get a ticket for an AFL game for a particular date, do you get to attend the earlier "rounds" plus the main game later that day? Do different ticket prices allow you to multiple games? Or a better seat in the arena? What area in the stadium is the best place to sit? Fixture means schedule of games right?

ellieanne, PerfectlyPerth and Hawka - I'm hungry already! I've had added these to my growing list. Keep those suggestions coming :D

Black Cat Cafe at 252 Brunswick ST in Fitzroy: The "Modern City Living" airbnb that I'm looking at is located virtually right behind it. The door to the building is right past the bench by the cafe's front door. I really like this place, but it does have some graffiti on the front door's facing. I know that artistic graffiti is one of Fitzroy's claims to fame, however this just looks like regular signature graffiti that in my city would designate a not so good part of town. My question then would be: should I let that influence my choice?

Thoughts? I promise to pick a place soon and not bug y'all too much more about it.