Several questions re Vancouver and EZ Air missed flight

Worldtraveler 4727

In early July we will be returning from an Alaskan cruise. The first leg of the flight home is Vancouver to Minneapolis where we have a 55 minute layover. EZ Air said that should be enough time since we will be in the same terminal for the second flight out of Minneapolis. They also said "they think" we will go through Customs in Vancouver, so no need to worry about that in Minneapolis as we change planes. They also said that should we miss the flight, it's "their (EZ Air's) problem" and they would take care of it and get us another flight at that time, which btw will be on the 4th of July.:rolleyes:

So my questions are:

1. Disembarking in Vancouver, will we go through Customs at the airport?

2. Flying Delta and in the same terminal in Minneapolis, is 55 minutes enough time?

3. Anyone ever miss an EZ Air flight? If so, what is the procedure. I would imagine we'd be standing at the Delta counter.....how does EZAir come into it?

Thanks in advance.

As for the time, probably. I have two flights going thru Minneapolis in the next 6 months and I have less than that. But, you want to be as close to the front of the first plane as possible. Getting off the plane is the slowest part. I upgraded to first class just for that reason.

People mix up customs and immigration all the time. Immigration checks people entering the country and customs checks what you bring into the country.

You will go through USA immigration and customs in Vancouver. That happens at many many airports in Canada where they have USA immigration /customs before leaving for the USA.

You will land in Minneapolis as if it was a domestic flight.

IF the flight is on time then you will not have a problem just walking quickly to your next flight. Even if you didn't use EZ Air the airline (which one are you using? Delta?? or/?) would put you on the next available flight if you missed the first one. That is normal procedure when flying on one through ticket which has a change of planes. You should definitely make sure your flight is on the airline's web site and that you have seats selected there.

Yes, you'll do Customs and Immigration in Vancouver.

Yes, 55 minutes is PROBABLY plenty, but anything can happen....flight from Vancouver can run late, etc. If this happens, the airline will take care of you. Your responsibility is to be on the Vancouver flight on time.

I made a flight at Dulles coming in from London with literally seconds to spare; they'd already called final boarding. I'd been delayed in Customs. I was surprised to find that they'd already booked me on the next flight to my final destination as their computer showed that I wouldn't make the original booking due to Customs delay! And yes, the allowed me onto the original since they hadn't closed the door yet.

I would not be concerned, the airlines certainly do not want you to miss your flight, just as much as you do not want to....

Often they leave 15 minutes late and arrive 15 minutes early, they make up time in the air.....

But, if it happens, relax it is all part of the journey....July 4th is seldom busy at airports...most holidays are dead in the water...

I made a flight at Dulles coming in from London with literally seconds to spare; they'd already called final boarding. I'd been delayed in Customs. I was surprised to find that they'd already booked me on the next flight to my final destination as their computer showed that I wouldn't make the original booking due to Customs delay! And yes' date=' the allowed me onto the original since they hadn't closed the door yet.[/quote']

This has been happening for the last five years......we have had many close calls LGA to ORD...and have the new flight already schedule, but have had yet to use it..sometimes the gate attendants are surprised to see we made it....

Since our airport of preference in SNA(Orange Co. CA) we do a lot of connection in ORD...one time we were flying to Paris and had a 35 minute layover in ORD...needless to say we have done a lot of fast walking and even running in airports....but we have had a lot of flights wait for us especially international...when connections have been thight.....I would take a shorter connection over longer connections any day of the week. But then again I am one who flies in the day of....

The disadvantage for the OP is if there is a delay they will probably miss out on first class.

BTW if you miss an easy air flight , you have 2 options call Princess or handle it yourself....Fastest way is to handle it yourself with the airline as you are right there at the airport.

Edited by land lover

Hmmmm....our second flight is less than 1.5 hours, so not a huge deal....does the airline ever offer a compensation of any sort if originally booked in first class and that's not available on the new flight?

Depends on how you aquried your first class passage....it would be up to you to take it up with the airlines...

Hmmmm....our second flight is less than 1.5 hours, so not a huge deal....does the airline ever offer a compensation of any sort if originally booked in first class and that's not available on the new flight?

I don't know why you wouldn't get your first class seat. I assume you'll be checking in for both flights that morning. I've had tighter windows and have never lost my seat.

Delta does not know, for sure, what gate or terminal flights will arrive/depart tomorrow!! There is no way they know what terminal your flight will arrive in July. If your flight is close to on time, you will have no problem making your connection.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Delta does not know, for sure, what gate or terminal flights will arrive/depart tomorrow!! There is no way they know what terminal your flight will arrive in July. If your flight is close to on time, you will have no problem making your connection.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

At some airports, Delta doesn't know where their plane will be pulling in an hour from now! I had a 3 hour layover on my last flight. I arrived, checked the board, and it said that my connecting flight was "boarding." Went to the gate, where there was no one at the desk, but the sign said "Boarding." I'd love to know what we were supposed to board as there was no plane at the gate!

If you miss your flight, Delta will put you on the next available flight. The airlines do this all the time, regardless of how you booked. I would feel ok with a 55 minute layover.

I have flown on the 4th before and it was not a busy fly day. The days before and after, probably. The 4th is a Wednesday.

I have been flying commercial for 51 years. I have missed three flights.

1. I was late to LAX for a flight to Seattle. My fault. AA moved me to next flight at no charge.

2. 2.5 hours late out of Paris to Dallas, and missed connection to LAX. AA moved us to later flight. It was a long day. This was during the liquid scare, and Heathrow was closed. Air travel world wide was disrupted.

3. Late to ORD from Manchester, England. ORD had a tornado go through and closed for a few hours. We needed to refuel. Only flight which took off on time was our connection to LAX. AA had us go standby for next several flights (and would not let us stay overnight in Chicago). Flight we got on had only 1 first class seat, which DW got (she has higher status at AA than me) jumping 43 other standby passengers. I flew coach. Upon landing, I had an e-mail on a Sunday night from AA refunding 10,000 miles of our payment from England to LAX. A very fair resolution of something which was not American's problem.

We have also had flights within minimum connection times at JFK and at Heathrow where we arrived on time, were in first class so we were first off and could go through a shorter security line, and still were the last on board on the connecting flight. On the JFK connection, the pilot pushed back while we were still heading to our seat because he was at the end of his window to push back and he did not want to wait for a new window. Definitely not FAA approved.

Watch the movie, "Bridge of Spies." Try not to worry about things over which you have no control.

Or try flying MAC or its successor AMC. No frequent flyer miles.

If you miss your flight in MSP, I have it on good authority that the folks there speak English and take American Express. You will not suffer the fate of Charlie on the MTA.

I don't know why you wouldn't get your first class seat. I assume you'll be checking in for both flights that morning. I've had tighter windows and have never lost my seat.

OP was asking about if they missed their connecting flight and the later one they would be booked on would not have any 1st class seats available.

The first leg of the flight home is Vancouver to Minneapolis where we have a 55 minute layover. EZ Air said that should be enough time since we will be in the same terminal for the second flight out of Minneapolis.

2. Flying Delta and in the same terminal in Minneapolis, is 55 minutes enough time?

If the airline is willing to make the reservation, it means that the connection time is at least the required minimum, even if it is unrealistic in real life.

Princess once had me set up for a 45 minute connection in Chicago in the middle of winter for a domestic to international connection. No way is that realistic, but it met the guidelines. (I ended up connecting in a different city with a more realistic connecting time.)