Cabin Door Decor

jenni belle

When we went on our first cruise in 2013, my youngest was 6 years old. We put a note on the door saying she was on her first cruise and wanted to see where everyone was from. I'm glad I brought extra paper because she ended up getting 2 full sheets of 12x12 inch scrapbook paper FILLED with sweet little messages to her written by people from all over the world. It is a treasured keepsake for her now. It also helped her pick out her door from the endless line of cabin doors that look exactly the same!

Ā 

I love this and it gives me a great idea! I think I'll print out a map of some sorts so people can mark where they're from. Awesome!

We don't decorate cabin doors, hotel doors, or doors at AI resorts. Do not see the point nor are we interested in carrying any decorations in our bag.

Ā 

When DW retired as an Elementary School teacher she told me she had decorated her last door and wore her last lanyard :).

Ā 

For those that are into decorating cabin doors, we have often wondered if they do the same when they go to a hotel.

Ā 

Hank

For those that are into decorating cabin doors, we have often wondered if they do the same when they go to a hotel.

Ā 

On Disney ships, you'll see many, many doors decorated quite extensively. Of course, folks at Disney World resort hotels sometimes decorate their doors, their windows, their rooms...it can get a bit much.

It makes sense for children, the visually impaired and groups that want to communicate with a white board. Other than that, I don't quite understand it. Whatever you do, no tape and no involving the cabin steward. They work hard and don't need extra tasks, not even for money. I am not sure if flammable decorations are permitted.

I also hoped to leave our cabin attendant a few dollars to help me decorate the inside with things i'll bring - has anyone had any luck with that? I don't know if I'm asking for too much. Even if they did a cute towel animal (do they still do that??) I would be appreciative.

Ā 

It isn't in their job description to spend time decorating cabins.

Ā 

DON

I have never decorated our cabin door. No problem fining our cabins...... The door ARE ALL numbered in roper consecutive order. If you can count :) No problem. Look at the numbers on the doors and BINGO, you will find yours.

I have never decorated our cabin door. No problem fining our cabins...... The door ARE ALL numbered in roper consecutive order. If you can count :) No problem. Look at the numbers on the doors and BINGO, you will find yours.

Ā 

A poster on another door decorating thread used the excuse that when their kids couldn't yet read, the decorations helped them find their rooms. My question to them - which went unanswered - was "Why were your kids, who were too young to read, being allowed to roam the ship unsupervised?".

Ā 

Dead silence.

That doesn't seem like a difficult question. I'd probably say: "I don't. When we go back to the cabin I let them take the lead to try and find our room". It probably leads to further discussion or something.

Ā 

Then again, maybe that poster DOES let their kids roam the halls unsupervised, hence the silence.

• 4 weeks later...

We usually cruise with other family and friends and when the kids are going I make personalized dƩcor for everyones cabin doors. Everyone loves it and I have fun doing it :-) Working on a few ideas for our upcoming cruise in November - 7 cabins as of right now.

Well as a person who decorates her door I can tell you that I do it because it is fun!! I can find my door just fine with out decorations but it always makes me smile when I see my door all done up. I am a paper artist and I love making something special for each cruise. Cruises are different from other types of vacations. I think we get a bit attached to our home away from home and decorating the door is just one way some of us choose to express our selfs and to have fun on our vacation.

We never have, and never will. We appreciate the efforts the cruise line designers have gone through and enjoy the decor they present to us. We don't see the need to modify or dilute those designs for our own self indulgence. Besides, we never see this in hotels, so not quite sure why people feel the need to deface their doors on a cruise ship. :confused:

Ā 

As for finding our stateroom - that is what the cabin numbers are for.

+1

(Although I guess if you're 5 years old and your idea of 'travel' is having a gigantic sleepover it might appeal to some.)

I can maybe, possibly, sort of understand the desire to decorate your room or door when on a boring, no scenery, nothing to do, drudgery kind of trip that can't be avoided. But on a cruise ship, with all the fun activities available to us, all the visual beauty of the ship, all the sightseeing excitement at port stops, all the dining out opportunities every day, I simply can't understand the need to tape a bunch of junk to a door to make a cruise enjoyable. Isn't there enough already going on without having to add your own decorations to make your cruise worth while?

Ā 

I just don't get it! :confused:

Edited by SantaFeFan

I can maybe, possibly, sort of understand the desire to decorate your room or door when on a boring, no scenery, nothing to do, drudgery kind of trip that can't be avoided. But on a cruise ship, with all the fun activities available to us, all the visual beauty of the ship, all the sightseeing excitement at port stops, all the dining out opportunities every day, I simply can't understand the need to tape a bunch of junk to a door to make a cruise enjoyable. Isn't there enough already going on without having to add your own decorations to make your cruise worth while?

Ā 

I just don't get it! :confused:

My kids really love seeing the decorations on "their" door. And the fact that they love a little thing like that is enough reason for me to roll with it. Now, I can't see myself ever going full Mr. Bean (or full DCL) with the decorations. Or doing it on a cruise without the kids. But a couple of decorations on the door plus a whiteboard suffices. IMO, it preserves much of the door's visual beauty.

Ā 

We just got back from Eastern Europe, and tried decorating the door of the train we were on.......lemme tell ya, leaning out the window at 60 mph was precarious. clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

lol.

I've been on dozens and dozens of cruises, never had a thought to deocrate our door We always found our ca in jus t fine. Every cabin has a numbe,r and gthey run in proper order O ne only needs to know how to count in order to easily find their cabin. :)

• 2 months later...
I've only decorated our cabin door for holiday cruises--Christmas, Valentine's, and St. Patrick's. We've had neighbors comment how seeing our decorations helps them find their rooms.

Ā 

I've always decorated the outside of our door to commemorate something special (birthday, anniversary, etc.) or just a fun Party Store decoration (flamingo). This is our first Christmas cruise and want to have some fun--I was happy to see that you do the same.

Well as a person who decorates her door I can tell you that I do it because it is fun!! I can find my door just fine with out decorations but it always makes me smile when I see my door all done up. I am a paper artist and I love making something special for each cruise. Cruises are different from other types of vacations. I think we get a bit attached to our home away from home and decorating the door is just one way some of us choose to express our selfs and to have fun on our vacation.

Ā 

Totally agree: that's our "home" for however many days, and makes it ours. No one has to look if they don't want to, and they can snicker if it makes them feel better. Plus, I paid for the use of that door!

Totally agree: that's our "home" for however many days, and makes it ours. No one has to look if they don't want to, and they can snicker if it makes them feel better. Plus, I paid for the use of that door!

Ā 

Thank you prudence1...after reading some of these posts I became dissuaded from decorating for our after Thanksgiving cruise, BUT, you have made me again see the light! I always decorate our home the Friday after Thanksgiving (just cannot do Black Friday shopping anymore ) so that cabin door and inside, too will reflect the Christmas season. Repositional wall decor doesn't take up much suitcase room! šŸŽ„šŸŽ„šŸŽ„