Is Navigator of the Seas that awful?

tobyt

We are considering a 9 day to the ABC islands next March with some non cruising friends. As the planner of the group I am growing fearful with the awful reviews of late. We know this is not the newest, largest or the shinest of ships but since it is going for a refurbish next January curious what is so awful? Many of the latest reviews seem to be about the new menus but since that is a fleet wide change and could change again by 2019 I am trying to be open minded. Please help me if there are enough redeeming qualities on this ship please chime in!

I just got off and thought food and service were good, but entertainment lacking. Overall appearance in public spaces quite good actually. We had major issues with our room that were not fully resolved onboard and are working with our TA now to get resolved. Not awful by any means, still a big fan of this class of ship

I can’t speak to recent cruises, but we have been in Navigator twice in the last 5 years and loved it. It is probably our favorite of the RCI ships so far. Large enough to have plenty of entertainment and food options without being overwhelming.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry not tech savvy enough to link the many less than favorable ones from March...but if takes a look on the review area most are pretty low rated esp. the last 10-12 in the March timeframe....they are pretty lackluster...we have done both Allure and Oasis so I know this will be a smaller less bells sandy whistles ship but kind of fearful. One of the non cruisers will hold my feet to the fire if he is unhappy!:o

I've only heard that she is looking a little tired. She is due for a drydock early next year. We generally avoid ships that are going into drydock within the yera because things tend to fall to the wayside with the mentality that they will be fixed in drydock.

You will be after the upcoming drydock, I wouldn't worry.

Large enough to have plenty of entertainment and food options without being overwhelmin

Completely agree JT...did the ABC cruise last January, 2018 on NAVI and had a ball. Large enough to be fun but not so large as to wear you out! Plenty of things to do and places to go (or sit!)

We were on Navigator 2 years ago and she was very tired looking in places. The sun loungers were filthy and people we sun bathing on the floor on sea days as there too few beds. The food in the MDR was disappointing as was the entertainment. It wasn't awful but not our favourite cruise. This was our second cruise on Navigator the first about 10 years ago and it was one of the best cruises we have taken.

We are on her now, three days out in the Atlantic heading to England.

I have been critical of Royal cruises in the past and am not an all or none type of reviewer.

I have found this cruise and boat quite good so far.

The MDR has provided two excellent dinners so far. Good beef, properly cooked. Upbeat service. They have also done a good job at lunch.

The Windjammer, however, is a mess. Tables are put together into tables for eight and there is no room to walk. The place is also too crowded to find a place to sit. It is also way too hot from the steam tables. The food was weak.

There are something like 1500 Diamonds and above on the cruise. They have used the whole 14th floor for happy hour. There are many available waiters and I have been asked if I needed another drink about every five minutes.

They have also loaded three drinks on our cards for happy hour and these can be used at any bar including the MDR and Windjammer.

So, they have done a great job with all the elites.

In short, given the declines in the last 3 or so years fleet wide, this boat is doing most things well. I will sail her again.

Just off the Navigator and I actually thought the entertainment was better then average except the karaoke play list is awful. The CD is not around much but that's no biggy to me. The Vegas tenors were absolutely the best.

Food was mediocre but I still gained weight. I think the new menus leave a lot to be desired.

Our stateroom attendant was better then average.

We would book her again, no worries. The islands are great with lots of sea days to relax.

We did the nine-night ABC island Navigator cruise this past March. Have been on most of the Royal ships and this one did not disappoint. Would have no problem going back whatsoever. No, it is not Oasis class; so if that is what you are looking for, you might be disappointed. However, I would highly recommend Navigator, especially since you will be on her after the refurbish.

We have never had a bad cruise.

We have experienced a lot of bad things on cruises, mostly from fellow passengers and occasionally from crew/staff. We don't let any of it bother us. We have had outstanding meals, and meals that started out meh but we made better. Remember there is food everywhere if your MDR dinner was horrible don't eat it, and either order something else or go to the WindJammer.

It is possible to adjust the environment around you by just being friendly. Don't just walk up to a bar and show them your empty beer bottle (see this all the time). Walk up smiling and say hi, ask them about their day, tell them you are having a blast and thank them for being a part of it, then ask, "When you have a second I'll take another Dos Equis". Then, tip them afterwards (or don't if it isn't your thing). Don't reserve this attitude just for your servers, use it on all the crew and your fellow passengers.

I ignore all parts of reviews except those dealing with specific things about the ship. Half the seats in theater broken, Omelet station in WindJammer broken and it doesn't look like they are going to fix it any time soon, Sky Bar closed and boarded up. These are things that would make me rethink a cruise.

The food was awful (subjective), the shows were terrible (subjective), elevators crowded (ya think?), crew were rude (were they? or did you receive a legitimate "NO" to your request or was your request unreasonable).

We have never had a bad cruise.

We have experienced a lot of bad things on cruises, mostly from fellow passengers and occasionally from crew/staff. We don't let any of it bother us. We have had outstanding meals, and meals that started out meh but we made better. Remember there is food everywhere if your MDR dinner was horrible don't eat it, and either order something else or go to the WindJammer.

It is possible to adjust the environment around you by just being friendly. Don't just walk up to a bar and show them your empty beer bottle (see this all the time). Walk up smiling and say hi, ask them about their day, tell them you are having a blast and thank them for being a part of it, then ask, "When you have a second I'll take another Dos Equis". Then, tip them afterwards (or don't if it isn't your thing). Don't reserve this attitude just for your servers, use it on all the crew and your fellow passengers.

I ignore all parts of reviews except those dealing with specific things about the ship. Half the seats in theater broken, Omelet station in WindJammer broken and it doesn't look like they are going to fix it any time soon, Sky Bar closed and boarded up. These are things that would make me rethink a cruise.

The food was awful (subjective), the shows were terrible (subjective), elevators crowded (ya think?), crew were rude (were they? or did you receive a legitimate "NO" to your request or was your request unreasonable).

Great perspective!

100% agree with you!!

I am onboard now. A few things I found that are positive so far. Boarding was quick I stepped out of the cab at 12:20 and was stepping onboard at 12:30. Lines in the terminal were short at that time. Sparkling wine was handed out if you used boarding door A. The crew onboard are friendly. In balcony and js staterooms they have created a bit more room by removing the coffee table. A smaller wicker table is available by request There were enough drink servers in the theatre before the show to serve both floors

Just off the 9 night on Navigator and we thought the ship looked great, everything was kept very clean and the crew was outstanding. Food in Windjammer was above average as we ate most meals there. Entertainment could have been better. We didn't care for the DJ at all, it felt like he was playing to spring breakers, and music was just way too loud, the demographic seemed to be mostly middle age and up so it just didn't fit. We were able to find loungers on deck 12 forward, away from the noise.

I am hearing they will be adding staterooms at the next drydock which I think is a huge mistake. If they take away public space and add more passengers I can see it being way too crowded.

I went on Navigator's 9 night ABC at the beginning of April. The ship is beautiful and in very good shape. I don't think it's even in need of maintenance. The food was mostly not good. A few standouts, but mostly not good. Entertainment was lacking. BUT the ports are amazing, the crew aims to please, and if you have good weather like we did, you can't beat it. Just don't go expecting an action packed trip with amazing food. Most people who ate in the Windjammer for dinner liked it and if I had to do it again, I would do that most nights because the MDR was, for the most part, not good. If you go to relax, it's a great option. But this is not the action-packed ship it was before the Oasis-class debuted.

We just got off Navigator on Sunday. Fabulous cruise. I agree the new dining room menus have limited options but we always found something to eat and thought the quality was good. Our wait staff, including the head waiter, in MDR were awesome as was our cabin steward. Diamond lounge and all of viking were full of diamonds and above every night but again service was great. I thought entertainment was ok. Really not into jugglers and hypnotist. Music on promenade most nights was also good. Embarkation was a mess but disembarkation went smoothly, Would gladly cruise navigator again.

Hmm. First RCI cruise was on Navigator and now Diamond. Have been on Navigator 5 times and loved staff and treatment. Much better than larger ships. Plus cruising to ABCs. No brainer - would do it again in a minute.

Love the navigator sailed her about 5 months ago for third time, would love to sail her again, ice show is always great. There was a very talented singer guitar player in pub on last trip Henry hood. Izumi was really nice.

Sorry not tech savvy enough to link the many less than favorable ones from March...but if takes a look on the review area most are pretty low rated esp. the last 10-12 in the March timeframe....they are pretty lackluster...we have done both Allure and Oasis so I know this will be a smaller less bells sandy whistles ship but kind of fearful. One of the non cruisers will hold my feet to the fire if he is unhappy!:o

There have to be more than a thousand reviews of Navigator ship and cruises, don’t you think looking at only 2 days worth might be too small a sample size?

For us the Navigator was bad enough that we have not been RCCL since September 2014. We are going to give Royal Caribbean another chance next month, but if the issues are the same, then it is back to Princess for us.

We were in a RFS and spent a pretty penny, but the service was abominable and the cabin was filthy. The Concierge was no help as he was too busy falling all over some Pinnacle passengers and basically ignoring the rest of the suite guests.