Seagrass at Maya Chan - seasonal problem?

FarreyFamCruzin

We were in Costa Maya about 2 weeks ago and visited Maya Chan. While the people at Maya Chan did give us fair warning that they were dealing with sea grass on the beach and gave us an opportunity to opt out with a full refund, we moved forward and went to anyway.

We were extremely surprised when we arrived that the sea grass problem was really a wall of sea grass that was probably 1 foot deep and 1 1/2 - 2 feet in depth. Due to the wind that day, we also dealt with a significant odor of decaying plant material (think garden fertilizer).

While I still had a relaxing day at Maya Chan, the sea grass diminished the experience of my family members enough that they are considering not getting off the ship in Costa Maya when we visit again in November. We talked about finding another location, but my recollection is that the entire shoreline was covered - so we’d have the same issue anywhere we’d go.

Is the seagrass a seasonal problem? Is a different beach club that would have less impact due to currents and tides? We are beach people so missing an opportunity would be disappointing to me... Any help you can give is appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were in Costa Maya about 2 weeks ago and visited Maya Chan. While the people at Maya Chan did give us fair warning that they were dealing with sea grass on the beach and gave us an opportunity to opt out with a full refund, we moved forward and went to anyway.

We were extremely surprised when we arrived that the sea grass problem was really a wall of sea grass that was probably 1 foot deep and 1 1/2 - 2 feet in depth. Due to the wind that day, we also dealt with a significant odor of decaying plant material (think garden fertilizer).

While I still had a relaxing day at Maya Chan, the sea grass diminished the experience of my family members enough that they are considering not getting off the ship in Costa Maya when we visit again in November. We talked about finding another location, but my recollection is that the entire shoreline was covered - so we’d have the same issue anywhere we’d go.

Is the seagrass a seasonal problem? Is a different beach club that would have less impact due to currents and tides? We are beach people so missing an opportunity would be disappointing to me... Any help you can give is appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The seaweed (causing decaying smell) is seasonal and dependent on winds and currents and seems to have been bad this year from mid- February. We were in Costa Maya end of January- no problem; End of February quantity quite bad, although not the worse we have smelt while visiting the Caribbean, perhaps it is now decaying more?

The sea grass is permanent but I don’t know if it increases and decreases with the seasons.

If the seaweed is bad again this year it affects other ports as well as Costa Maya.