What broadway play?

George C

3 hours ago, Nitemare said:

We will be in NYC next weekend and we still have zero tickets.  A few ideas we are mulling, and I belong to TDF, so hope something shows up or we will be hitting the TKTS lines for the first time in many many years.

What about "Six" in previews starting Feb. 13?  I don't know anything about it other than the subject sounds interesting (and it's also on some NCL ships!).  

1 minute ago, Turtles06 said:

What about "Six" in previews starting Feb. 13?  I don't know anything about it other than the subject sounds interesting (and it's also on some NCL ships!).  

We saw that in Cambridge last fall

It is much fun, but it is also barely 75 minutes,  if that.  Going to ge a huge hit for the younger and female crowd, but good for everyone. 

1 minute ago, Nitemare said:

We saw that in Cambridge last fall

It is much fun, but it is also barely 75 minutes,  if that.  Going to ge a huge hit for the younger and female crowd, but good for everyone. 

Glad to know it's fun, but that's is pretty short for Broadway! 

On 2/3/2020 at 6:33 PM, markeb said:

That will be interesting. He's mostly a Broadway director, so the camera crew and cinematographer become VERY important.

I saw Springsteen on Broadway on Broadway, and have watched the Netflix production. They are different, but very complementary. Something totally different than the live productions of Sound of Music, etc., that have been on television recently. Capturing Hamilton on film and respecting the theatrical production has to be a challenge. Even in the opening number, when Hamilton answers to "what's  your name?" and your eye goes to him, there is a lot happening elsewhere on stage, so you gain and lose on a tight shot (no, not now nor have never been "in the business", just enjoy when it works well) as you want to see Hamilton's face at that point.

And, yes, I"ll go see it. And probably immediately try to get tickets to a live performance... 

I just watched Springsteen on Netflix.It was the right price to see him rather than $300 for an orchestra seat on Broadway.

38 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I just watched Springsteen on Netflix.It was the right price to see him rather than $300 for an orchestra seat on Broadway.

I thought it was the best $400/seat I’ve spent. Different strokes. 

• Like 1

We had the $75 seats for Springsteen.  Show was great from up there.

Saw Plaza Suite last night in Boston, with Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick.  Neil Simon doesn't age well.  I expect average reviews, at best, and it will sell well at first due to the casting, but not much beyond that.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, markeb said:

I thought it was the best $400/seat I’ve spent. Different strokes. 

Bruce comes out wearing jeans and a tee shirt and the appearance of just a regular guy yet if you want to see him in concert or in a theater you have to pay big bucks.

Graham Nash appears in concert and to see him in a great seat it is $65.You can see Arlo Guthrie for $10 .

Would have loved to have seen Bruce on broadway saw him in Dallas in 1985 with great seats. Love music like his and Dylan which is why we will see Girl from the north country. Going on a music cruise this Saturday with America, Todd Rundgren, Pablo Cruise , Rita Coolidge, Jefferson Starship and many others , cool thing is being able to talk to them and getting cds and albums signed. 

On 2/8/2020 at 11:26 AM, Nitemare said:

We will be in NYC next weekend and we still have zero tickets.  A few ideas we are mulling, and I belong to TDF, so hope something shows up or we will be hitting the TKTS lines for the first time in many many years.

Saw Beetlejuice this past week and loved it.  Also loved Book of Mormon

• Like 1

GeeGee, we loved Book of Mormon but just to let you know  I think you really need a good sense of humor to enjoy it. Also has some Rough language. We were originally going to take my Sister and BIL, but they couldn't go when we were getting tix. We were SO glad they weren't with us at the show. Because of their personalities  (I am not judging, I'm just saying) they would not have enjoyed it and probably not made it through the show.  But we thought it was hilarious.  So different strokes! I just thought I would mention it.

Many good suggestions on this thread.

Enjoy your time in the city!

2 hours ago, George C said:

Would have loved to have seen Bruce on broadway saw him in Dallas in 1985 with great seats. Love music like his and Dylan which is why we will see Girl from the north country. Going on a music cruise this Saturday with America, Todd Rundgren, Pablo Cruise , Rita Coolidge, Jefferson Starship and many others , cool thing is being able to talk to them and getting cds and albums signed. 

This sounds awesome:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Bruce comes out wearing jeans and a tee shirt and the appearance of just a regular guy yet if you want to see him in concert or in a theater you have to pay big bucks.

Graham Nash appears in concert and to see him in a great seat it is $65.You can see Arlo Guthrie for $10 .

Like too many theater tickets, live music has gotten insane. Billy Joel at MSG tickets appear to be "dynamically priced", and are as high as $600. That's in MSG! Bizarrely, The Who (or what's left of them) appear to actually be reasonable at $134 in the lower bowl of seats in Dallas this spring. Bruce actually held the line at $95 for probably ten years, and the Pit in 2016 was $150. The Broadway show was the only truly expensive show, at least if you could get face value tickets. I think I priced the Stones once and nearly had a heart attack. 8-10 years ago Fleetwood Mac, without Christine McVie, was getting $450/seat on the floor in DC. Similar for Paul McCartney at FEDEX Field.

While I love the show, Hamilton pricing is crazy, and too many shows are now doing some form of premium pricing. Sometimes that's proximity to the stage, and sometimes it's just an upcharge to be on the aisle. Springsteen on Broadway was comparable  to Hamilton for pricing, and at the time, was actually a harder ticket to get.

Just like NYC, I can see all the $25-50 bands I have time for, some new, some like Arlo, at the 9:30 Club, The Anthem, and several other venues around DC. I think I paid $35 to see Nils Lofgren this spring, and something similar to see Max Weinberg in a venue with less than 350 seats.

George's music cruise actually sounds kind of interesting. It's been almost 30 years since I saw America at a USO show in Korea!

12 hours ago, George C said:

we want to see several plays in May, normally we just get tickets from tkts booth and are happy with them, what is best site if we want to prebuy tickets for a show? Thanks

We use Broadwaybox (got tix thru them last night for Medea this weekend), Playbill and Theatermania, but ONLY the discount sections of those sites.  All fully legit sites that give you codes you use on the theater's own site or at Ticketmaster or Telecharge

• Like 1

12 hours ago, markeb said:

Like too many theater tickets, live music has gotten insane. Billy Joel at MSG tickets appear to be "dynamically priced", and are as high as $600. That's in MSG! Bizarrely, The Who (or what's left of them) appear to actually be reasonable at $134 in the lower bowl of seats in Dallas this spring. Bruce actually held the line at $95 for probably ten years, and the Pit in 2016 was $150. The Broadway show was the only truly expensive show, at least if you could get face value tickets. I think I priced the Stones once and nearly had a heart attack. 8-10 years ago Fleetwood Mac, without Christine McVie, was getting $450/seat on the floor in DC. Similar for Paul McCartney at FEDEX Field.

While I love the show, Hamilton pricing is crazy, and too many shows are now doing some form of premium pricing. Sometimes that's proximity to the stage, and sometimes it's just an upcharge to be on the aisle. Springsteen on Broadway was comparable  to Hamilton for pricing, and at the time, was actually a harder ticket to get.

Just like NYC, I can see all the $25-50 bands I have time for, some new, some like Arlo, at the 9:30 Club, The Anthem, and several other venues around DC. I think I paid $35 to see Nils Lofgren this spring, and something similar to see Max Weinberg in a venue with less than 350 seats.

George's music cruise actually sounds kind of interesting. It's been almost 30 years since I saw America at a USO show in Korea!

Do you think that America 30 years ago would ever consider performing on a cruise ship .I think not.

3 hours ago, Nitemare said:

We use Broadwaybox (got tix thru them last night for Medea this weekend), Playbill and Theatermania, but ONLY the discount sections of those sites.  All fully legit sites that give you codes you use on the theater's own site or at Ticketmaster or Telecharge

If anyone is in NYC and has time there are wonderful theaters outside of Manhattan.

The Heights Players in Brooklyn,very close to Manhattan has been around more than 60 years.They have great productions .There are also theaters all over Long Island,about an hour railroad ride from Manhattan.

One of my favorite all time plays is Man Of LaMancha.I saw a production at thevWestchester County Playhouse that was actually better that the one on Broadway.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Do you think that America 30 years ago would ever consider performing on a cruise ship .I think not.

They seemed to be enjoying themselves, had a chance to talk to one of them in suite lounge. Micheal McDonald and his wife was also on recently along with Boz Scaggs. I know Arlo was mentioned he is on flower power cruise next month which also has Zombies who recently went into rock and roll hall of fame. 

On 1/31/2020 at 9:26 AM, Turtles06 said:

I hope you like West Side Story. One of my friends just saw it and really disliked it. 😮

On 1/31/2020 at 10:28 AM, Turtles06 said:

It's definitely a classic, one of the best shows ever.  I think the issue is that they have sort of "modernized" it, and it's not a classic production.  (They are not using Jerome Robbins's choreography, for one thing.)   One example my friend gave was that there are videos playing behind the actors, which she found incredibly distracting.  ("I Feel Pretty" has been removed, as has the "Somewhere" ballet.) 

A little update here.   Another one of my friends has just seen West Side Story and really, really liked it.  He said that initially, the videos were incredibly distracting and he wondered how he was going to sit through the entire show. But then things improved.  Since it's been a few weeks since my first friend saw the show, I suspect they have been doing some real tinkering during this preview period. 

BTW, this version of WSS is performed without an intermission, and the total running time is about an hour and 40 minutes.  My second friend thought this was an excellent way to stage the show.  He also enjoyed the new choreography.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2020 at 8:57 PM, Turtles06 said:

A little update here.   Another one of my friends has just seen West Side Story and really, really liked it.  He said that initially, the videos were incredibly distracting and he wondered how he was going to sit through the entire show. But then things improved.  Since it's been a few weeks since my first friend saw the show, I suspect they have been doing some real tinkering during this preview period. 

BTW, this version of WSS is performed without an intermission, and the total running time is about an hour and 40 minutes.  My second friend thought this was an excellent way to stage the show.  He also enjoyed the new choreography.

A play without an intermission could be a problem for disabled people who require a rest room.When I go to see it in May I will not be able to have any liquids at lunch prior to the show.

On 2/10/2020 at 6:30 PM, George C said:

we want to see several plays in May, normally we just get tickets from tkts booth and are happy with them, what is best site if we want to prebuy tickets for a show? Thanks

Go to the official webpage of the show. You can usually call the box office. It will also direct you to which internet ticket service is selling for them. Usually Telecharge or Ticketmaster. Google is set up so the ads come first and it might not be official webpage but a secondary seller that adds huge fees. 

Playbill.com is good to see all the shows listed and be directed to the right place to purchase. 

1 hour ago, Got2Cruise said:

Go to the official webpage of the show. You can usually call the box office. It will also direct you to which internet ticket service is selling for them. Usually Telecharge or Ticketmaster. Google is set up so the ads come first and it might not be official webpage but a secondary seller that adds huge fees. 

Playbill.com is good to see all the shows listed and be directed to the right place to purchase. 

Also Theatermania.com

We saw and greatly enjoyed both Cambodian Rock Band at Signature Theater ($35!) and Madea at BAM (Much more $).

Neither is "fun" although Rock Band could have easily gotten much darker.  Both are basically tragedies (if you know your Greek tragedies, you know Medea), although Rock Band does leave you with hope at the end.  Excellent acting in both, especially Bobby Cannavale and Rose Byrne (real life couple) in Madea. 

Ended up doing the Tenement Museum on Sunday night instead of racing to TKTS for a Sunday show and that was a good choice as we had never been to there before.

6 hours ago, Nitemare said:

We saw and greatly enjoyed both Cambodian Rock Band at Signature Theater ($35!) and Madea at BAM (Much more $).

Neither is "fun" although Rock Band could have easily gotten much darker.  Both are basically tragedies (if you know your Greek tragedies, you know Medea), although Rock Band does leave you with hope at the end.  Excellent acting in both, especially Bobby Cannavale and Rose Byrne (real life couple) in Madea. 

Ended up doing the Tenement Museum on Sunday night instead of racing to TKTS for a Sunday show and that was a good choice as we had never been to there before.

The Tenement Museum is a wonderful experience.We went twice.The first time was part of a tour that included food tasting from some wonderful restaurants,bakeries and ice cream parlors in the area.We have been to BAM many times.We saw a wonderful production of Waiting For Godot there.

Edited by lenquixote66

On 2/11/2020 at 11:27 AM, George C said:

They seemed to be enjoying themselves, had a chance to talk to one of them in suite lounge. Micheal McDonald and his wife was also on recently along with Boz Scaggs. I know Arlo was mentioned he is on flower power cruise next month which also has Zombies who recently went into rock and roll hall of fame. 

These cruises allow you to see quite a few of the oldies groups and see them all together both onstage and in the buffet having breakfast.  Good for you

On 2/21/2020 at 10:41 AM, AF-1 said:

These cruises allow you to see quite a few of the oldies groups and see them all together both onstage and in the buffet having breakfast.  Good for you

We just got back today from our third rock and romance cruise, amazing music , ran into Steven Bishop in elevator Todd Rundgren was amazing,  along with America and Jefferson starship and so many others , already booked next years cruise.