What broadway play?

George C

2 minutes ago, markeb said:

Just received this in an e-mail from Telecharge...

"The Broadway League announced that performances will be suspended again through Sunday, September 6, 2020. Off-Broadway shows are suspended too. That means no shows will play over the summer."

Goes on to say this isn't really a surprise as much as a disappointment. Stay safe in NYC!

Was just about to post same thing, really doubt this years visit , terrible situation for all those employees, along with hotels and restaurants in area. 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2020 at 6:40 PM, markeb said:

Just received this in an e-mail from Telecharge...

"The Broadway League announced that performances will be suspended again through Sunday, September 6, 2020. Off-Broadway shows are suspended too. That means no shows will play over the summer."

Goes on to say this isn't really a surprise as much as a disappointment. Stay safe in NYC!

Frozen will not be returning . Other shows will likely not as well.The Off  and Off Broadway theaters will not survive .My sister-in-law has a very good friend who is an actor primarily in Off Bray theater.He does not think he will ever act again in this venue.

He usually supplements his income by appearances in Law and Order but they suspended their filming.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2020 at 6:44 PM, George C said:

Was just about to post same thing, really doubt this years visit , terrible situation for all those employees, along with hotels and restaurants in area. 

Frozen has closed for good, it was announced today. 

Positive news is that the Hamilton movie is dropping on Disney Plus July 3. Also there will be a sing along Grease broadcast instead of the Tony Awards. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

Frozen has closed for good, it was announced today. 

Positive news is that the Hamilton movie is dropping on Disney Plus July 3. Also there will be a sing along Grease broadcast instead of the Tony Awards. 

With John Travolta ?

20 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

Positive news is that the Hamilton movie is dropping on Disney Plus July 3.

I'm surprised it's taken so long for someone to post that on here.  🤣

I hope the first stream doesn't crash the internet.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Not everyone has a desire to see Hamilton.

I also doubt many people have Disney plus, I would love to see Hamilton live, we we’re supposed to be in nyc this week and would have seen 4 plays. Only positive is we save over 1k per day by staying home. 

1 hour ago, George C said:

I also doubt many people have Disney plus, I would love to see Hamilton live, we we’re supposed to be in nyc this week and would have seen 4 plays. Only positive is we save over 1k per day by staying home. 

Young people don’t subscribe to a cable service, they use streaming services. You’d be surprised how many have Disney Plus. On top of that anyone with young children probably subscribe too. 

Hamilton is bringing young people excited about Broadway. Broadway needs to evolve if it’s going to survive. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, George C said:

We switched cable providers in January and were offered a free year of Disney Plus but we never signed up for it.Mrs. 66 has no desire to see Hamilton.

We have tickets for West Side Story for the Wednesday matinee

7 hours ago, George C said:

I also doubt many people have Disney plus,

As a number of business articles have stated, Disney is doing this precisely to bring more potential subscribers to its Plus streaming platform. Whether or not they leave the 7-day free trial in place or make folks sign up for $6.99/month, which can be cancelled after a month, Hamilton is going to bring plenty of new eyes to Disney+, including mine.  

I’ve seen Hamilton five times, and will gladly pay 7 bucks to be able to stream the OBC.  Heck, the service charge to buy a ticket to a live show is more than that. 

30 minutes ago, George C said:

The thing.is broadway is all about live performances I have attempted to see some live performances of plays I really liked but not even close to the real thing.  

No one disagrees; there is no substitute for live theatre.   But the fact remains that many people don't live in places where they can see great Broadway shows or, if they do, many can't afford the ticket prices, which have become obscene, and I don't even mean for Hamilton.    But in terms of Hamilton, the ticket prices are insane, and this will be the only way that lots of people who really want to see this show will be able to do so.   And plenty of them have made their excitement about that very clear, including over on Twitter.

This thread here on CC is populated imho in large measure by people who not only are Broadway theatre fans but who also are fortunate to have the resources to go to the theatre (and I include myself in that).   Lots of folks don't share in our good fortune.   

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I’ve seen Hamilton five times, and will gladly pay 7 bucks to be able to stream the OBC.  Heck, the service charge to buy a ticket to a live show is more than that. 

Agreed.  We saw the OBC 3 times (twice with LMM, once with Javier Muñoz), and I'd see this if I had Disney Plus

9 hours ago, George C said:

The thing.is broadway is all about live performances I have attempted to see some live performances of plays I really liked but not even close to the real thing.  

Generally agree.  The Jesus Christ Superstar performance on TV a couple years ago was REALLY well done, so was the PBS presentation of King and I.  But many of those broadcasts do lack energy

Edited by Nitemare

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/15/2020 at 5:49 PM, George C said:

Ticketmaster is giving me a refund for my Todd Rundgren concert that was changed from May to a February, I love nyc but not in February. 

Our Senior theater group Coordinator called a few days ago to tell us that they have not decided whether they will give full refunds or credits.My wife and I paid $420 but some people paid over $1000.00.Although 3 people in the group of 54 are in their 60’s the majority are in the 80’s and 90’s.One guy passed away last month (not from Covid).

I am glad that you were able to get a refund,George.

We had many concerts postponed in Dallas, just read Carnegie hall canceled all there fall schedule. I am lucky we now have some restaurants with live music will go to one of them . Tonight on pbs there is a play called Ann about governor Ann Richards we saw it in Dallas last year . 

Edited by George C

12 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Do   not be surprised if Broadway does not open that early in 2021 especially if s second wave hits NYC in the Fall Of 2020.

58 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Do   not be surprised if Broadway does not open that early in 2021 especially if s second wave hits NYC in the Fall Of 2020.

I suspect (and fear) you're right.

We could have seen the new production of Les Mis in London over the Christmas/New Year holiday. We really have no idea now when we'll get back there...

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

22 minutes ago, markeb said:

I suspect (and fear) you're right.

We could have seen the new production of Les Mis in London over the Christmas/New Year holiday. We really have no idea now when we'll get back there...

I would not be surprised either.   (There are too many people who seem to be living in an alternate reality, though, who probably think they should be able to go to the theatre this summer.)

@markeb, sorry about that trip.  ☹️