What broadway play?

George C

Just saw Hello Dolly with Bernadette Peters in May - fantastic! Hubby enjoyed it and he is not a fan of the show. Bought on TKTS for $91 each - center orchestra. Come From Away was also great. Highly recommend.

Did not enjoy Carousel - and those seats were so tight (orchestra right) that I could not cross my legs and I am only 5'5".

Just saw Hello Dolly with Bernadette Peters in May - fantastic! Hubby enjoyed it and he is not a fan of the show. Bought on TKTS for $91 each - center orchestra. Come From Away was also great. Highly recommend.

Did not enjoy Carousel - and those seats were so tight (orchestra right) that I could not cross my legs and I am only 5'5".

Glad to hear you enjoyed the first two. That production of Hello Dolly is just so glorious that I was smiling to myself for days afterward. (I saw it with Bette, but have also heard good things about wonderful Bernadette).

Come from Away is such a feel-good musical, but I sometimes have to qualify it as a suggestion if someone has never seen a Broadway musical and this is their shot. Simply, that it's a wonderful work and beautifully done, but it is missing the big staging with dancing and razz-ma-tazz that one can expect (especially given Broadway prices). I also expect this show will have a rich life in regional theaters and on tour for years to come, and it will likely still retain its glorious power.

One of the Broadway chat boards just had a thread on how seats can vary within a theater (and certainly between parts of the theater). Most often so that the rows will align up the aisles. Personally, I'm a big guy and have never had a problem in the Imperial Theater (Carousel) orchestra - but I may have been lucky - or you may have been particularly unlucky. (Sorry. But, if it makes any difference, the seats for the other classic revival, My Fair Lady, are at a theatre known for tight legroom in some rows.)

By trying to find aisle seating, where possible, and avoiding mezz seating in notorious houses (Kerr, Studio 54 to name a couple) and avoiding bulkhead seats where my toes can't go beneath the seat in front of me, I usually do OK. (I also take ibuprofen in advance if I have a non-aisle seat in the Golden or sides of the Eugene O'Neill)

- Mark

Edited by MarkBearSF

Someone mentioned Springsteen on Broadway. I’ve seen it twice and am seeing it again, obviously I’m a big fan. Since most of us crazies have seen it, demand has softened a bit, and from what I see tickets have become available at the box office the day of the show. Usually these are in the $500 to $850 per ticket range (this is the actual ticket price, not a markup). Tickets have also shown up on Ticketmaster, again, day of show. Now and then Stub Hub has last minute tickets available below face. Finally, you can sign up with Lucky Seat for a chance at a lottery seat, and those are $200 I think. Sign up about a week in advance. Several friends have gotten lucky with this. https://www.luckyseat.com/springsteen-broadway/

Someone mentioned Springsteen on Broadway. I’ve seen it twice and am seeing it again, obviously I’m a big fan. Since most of us crazies have seen it, demand has softened a bit, and from what I see tickets have become available at the box office the day of the show. Usually these are in the $500 to $850 per ticket range (this is the actual ticket price, not a markup). Tickets have also shown up on Ticketmaster, again, day of show. Now and then Stub Hub has last minute tickets available below face. Finally, you can sign up with Lucky Seat for a chance at a lottery seat, and those are $200 I think. Sign up about a week in advance. Several friends have gotten lucky with this. https://www.luckyseat.com/springsteen-broadway/

Totally BS that He charges $500 to $850 per show. That is elitist. That’s pure greed.

Totally BS that He charges $500 to $850 per show. That is elitist. That’s pure greed.

The original price range was $75 - $850. No idea the distribution. Given the shows have largely sold out over the entire run, I’d say the pricing was what the market supports, much like almost the entire orchestra for Hamilton being $600 & up.

The original price range was $75 - $850. No idea the distribution. Given the shows have largely sold out over the entire run, I’d say the pricing was what the market supports, much like almost the entire orchestra for Hamilton being $600 & up.

Believe me I understand. That is another reason I appreciated Lincoln Center Theater because it is not for profit. There is no premium seating. All orchestra seats $189.

I agree the artist has the right to charge whatever the market will bear but sad that it’s come to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had no problem getting $75 seats from one of the On sales.

Bruce has underpriced his shows compared to the market for DECADES. It was only on the last tour that front row seats topped $100, while all other acts except for a handful have been well above that since at least the 1990s

I rather Springsteen get the money than the scalpers. I am sure seeing him in a broadway theater is amazing.

Agree...I'd gladly pay a higher price to sit up close, and actually see him perform, rather than at some big stadium, where I'd be better off watching it on television...

Agree...I'd gladly pay a higher price to sit up close, and actually see him perform, rather than at some big stadium, where I'd be better off watching it on television...

Because you can afford it. And that’s fine.

And an update to the Springsteen ticket situation, a trickle of tickets have appeared on Ticketmaster for shows 7 and 8 days in the future. As always with shows like this, searching for singles might yield better results than pairs.

To clarify, I wouldn't spend $800 or anywhere near that. I just meant I would go see him in a theater for say $200., then anywhere in a stadium at any price....

We all choose the way we want to spend our money, I splurge on vacations book suites , but never paid more than 250 for a single ticket

• 2 weeks later...

So, PBS had the cast of "Escape from Margaritaville", plus Jimmy himself, on "A Capitol Fourth" tonight...

I like Jimmy Buffett. Not sure how many times I've seen him in concert. It's been awhile because he always plays the worst venue to get in and out of in the DC area...

I now know why "Escape from Margaritaville" closed its Broadway run this week, while "Springsteen on Broadway" will run through December and the Boss has a Tony...

• 5 weeks later...

At the risk of resurrecting a zombie thread...

Just picked up two for "The Band's Visit" over Labor Day weekend. I know this is based on a movie, but it just looks really cool!

I've got to start looking at the West End as well. We're doing something insane and spending Christmas in London. Looks like the theater is open Christmas Eve and Boxing Day, so...

At the risk of resurrecting a zombie thread...

Just picked up two for "The Band's Visit" over Labor Day weekend. I know this is based on a movie, but it just looks really cool!

I've got to start looking at the West End as well. We're doing something insane and spending Christmas in London. Looks like the theater is open Christmas Eve and Boxing Day, so...

The Bands Visit won the Tony for best musical. Good choice. It’s not your traditional broadway musical.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Glad to see updates, will see Christmas Carol in Dallas in December at small theater that won tony last year for best regional theater, tony is on display in the lobby, and will see Cats on the oasis in a few months

Now that the thread is revivified, thee new musicals have opened. The most promising is "Pretty Woman" which had devastating reviews in Chicago (?) pre-Broadway, but swapped the lead actor to the insanely talented Andy Karl and now is looking like a crowd pleaser. It's still in previews, so changes are being made, but it looks like it will be around during Tonys in Spring.

"Head over Heels" is a retelling of a faux-classical Elizabethan tale named "Arcadia" involving non-specific gender titles, cross-dressing, sheep, modern dance, and all songs by the Go-Go's. Really. And it works in a strange way. However, you better act soon, because it's flopping fast.

LIkewise, "Gettin the Band Back Together" is a lowbrow skit musical which is being specifically marketed to New Jersey audiences. It's playing across 44th St from Head Over Heels, and will last ust about as long.

(Coming soon - "The Cher Show" another jukebox bio-musical like "Summer" (Donna Summer) which, strangely enough shares the same device of having three different actresses play the titular character. (Summer has gotten lousy reviews, even from fans and looks to be running-through significant advance sales, so the coming months will tell if it'll close after the holidays or will be kept open during the cold winter months)

- Mark

Edited by MarkBearSF

Other announced and rumored shows to open this season (mostly in March & April)

Musicals

- Kiss Me Kate (with Kelli O'Hara, at Studio 54)

- Crazy For You (rumored revival)

- Moulin Rouge (no firm booking announced. Based upon the film with mostly new pop music)

- King Kong (new, with a very big puppet. at the Broadway theater)

- The Prom (begins Oct. New musical about a gay high school couple and sudden media interest)

Plays

- King Lear (starring Glenda Jackson as Lear. Transfer from London)

- Network (rumored transfer of stage adaptation of the film, starring Brian Cranston)

- Torch Song (revival of streamlined "Torch Song Trilogy")

- To Kill a Mockingbird (new adaptation)

Mark

...and these are the shows that will likely be closed by March or sooner

Announced Closings

A Bronx Tale, Boys in the Band, Hello Dolly, Sweeney Todd - all closing in August

Spongebob, Springsteen - closing in Sept

Play the Goes Wrong, School of Rock - closing after hoidays

Expected to Close by early January

Head Over Heels, Gettin' the Band Back Together (almost certainly will close in Fall)

Carousel, Kinky Boots, Beautiful, Once On This Island (likely)

Mark

...and these are the shows that will likely be closed by March or sooner

Announced Closings

A Bronx Tale, Boys in the Band, Hello Dolly, Sweeney Todd - all closing in August

Spongebob, Springsteen - closing in Sept

Play the Goes Wrong, School of Rock - closing after hoidays

Expected to Close by early January

Head Over Heels, Gettin' the Band Back Together (almost certainly will close in Fall)

Carousel, Kinky Boots, Beautiful, Once On This Island (likely)

Mark

Springsteen closes December 15 with a what looks like a simulcast on Netflix.