What broadway play?

George C

9 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

These theaters will recover but regional theaters and off Broadway theaters will be closed permanently.

Where are you getting this info? My brother runs a theater in Florida and he is all set for shows in fall, Dallas looks like their regional theaters will be a go,  many of these theaters have big financial support from corporations and wealthy donors. 

2 minutes ago, George C said:

Where are you getting this info? My brother runs a theater in Florida and he is all set for shows in fall, Dallas looks like their regional theaters will be a go,  many of these theaters have big financial support from corporations and wealthy donors. 

The Heights Players in Brooklyn which had been around 50 plus years will not open again. Many theaters in Long Island including one right around the corner from where I live have closed.

Florida and Texas are a bit different than the rest of the US.I am sure that your brother is familiar with the conditions of NY regional theater.

1 hour ago, George C said:

Somebody just posted on another thread that the Westchester Dinner Theater is closed because of Covid.I am sure that your brother knew the kind of theater they offered,as close to Broadway as possible with many Broadway actors.

15 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

The Heights Players in Brooklyn which had been around 50 plus years will not open again. Many theaters in Long Island including one right around the corner from where I live have closed.

Florida and Texas are a bit different than the rest of the US.I am sure that your brother is familiar with the conditions of NY regional theater.

My brother started in nyc he directed Hair in Queens in theater from the1965 world fair, he also did shows in Don’t tell Mama which we still visit on our trips. People now just starting to go to restaurants, comedy clubs etc after getting their shots. 

5 hours ago, George C said:

My brother started in nyc he directed Hair in Queens in theater from the1965 world fair, he also did shows in Don’t tell Mama which we still visit on our trips. People now just starting to go to restaurants, comedy clubs etc after getting their shots. 

I know who your brother is.He is very respected in the theatre community.My comments were not a reflection on him. In Long Island ,Westchester and other areas theaters are permanently closed due to Covid.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Exactly.  They won't be at 100% right away and most shows won't be opening immediately.

Governor said they could open at 100 percent but wouldn’t be surprised if they open at less, I most likely will wait till no face masks are needed.

4 hours ago, George C said:

Governor said they could open at 100 percent but wouldn’t be surprised if they open at less, I most likely will wait till no face masks are needed.

Is Robert still Directing ?If so have you been to any play he is involved with ?

The emails and Tweets are flowing in! Not trying for first dates, so no idea what theater capacity looks like, but...

Come From Away on sale now, shows start September 21st

Hamilton, apparently on sale, not sure how they're doing them. Shows start September 14.

Need to start looking at dates. Hopefully celebrating the end of a very long medical road right around Christmas. That sounds more Come From Away than Hamilton, doesn't it?

44 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.  I’m pretty sure margins are so thin that at 33% they will be operating at a deep loss.

I received an e-mail today from a Senior Theater group that I belong to stating that some theaters will open September 14.Masks will be required.Proof of having the vaccine will be required.There will be health stations in all theaters.I have no idea what they mean by health stations.

23 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I received an e-mail today from a Senior Theater group that I belong to stating that some theaters will open September 14.Masks will be required.Proof of having the vaccine will be required.There will be health stations in all theaters.I have no idea what they mean by health stations.

There was some broadway actors on abc this morning including someone from Hamilton and Wicked they all talked about 9/14 as reopening day. New York City needs this so many hotels and restaurants feed off broadway.

11 minutes ago, George C said:

There was some broadway actors on abc this morning including someone from Hamilton and Wicked they all talked about 9/14 as reopening day. New York City needs this so many hotels and restaurants feed off broadway.

That is very true.Also the actors who are not millionaires.As I told you before my sister in law has a friend who has been acting off Broadway for 50 plus years Prior to the pandemic he would get jobs on tv shows filming in Manhattan like Law and Order.Now nobody is filming .He is 83 but many of his fellow actors are young and have families to support.

There was a video on FB or Twitter yesterday showing the Come From Away cast going down the street into the theater. There's something on YouTube today, but it's almost too much of an ad to repost.

If you're not a crossover (stage/screen/television) actor of some sort, my understanding is you're doing OK financially only as long as the doors are open. And that doesn't even account for all the support people. It has to have been brutal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, markeb said:

There was a video on FB or Twitter yesterday showing the Come From Away cast going down the street into the theater. There's something on YouTube today, but it's almost too much of an ad to repost.

If you're not a crossover (stage/screen/television) actor of some sort, my understanding is you're doing OK financially only as long as the doors are open. And that doesn't even account for all the support people. It has to have been brutal.

Come From Away is coming back to Broadway whenever theater resumes.

9 hours ago, markeb said:

Come From Away on sale now, shows start September 21st

And as you probably know, it's also just been filmed (live capture), with distribution by Apple.  When the filming was announced in February, with no end to the shutdown in sight, the plan was for the filmed version to be released in September.  I wonder if that will still happen, given that the show will now be re-opening that month.   

Edited by Turtles06

15 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

And as you probably know, it's also just been filmed (live capture), with distribution by Apple.  When the filming was announced in February, with no end to the shutdown in sight, the plan was for the filmed version to be released in September.  I wonder if that will still happen, given that the show will now be re-opening that month.   

I hope so.That production should be available in every medium.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nitemare said:

The excellent production of Little Shop Of Horrors, Off Broadway, will also be reopening.  We saw it right after it opened and will likely return later this fall or early winter to see it again

We saw several productions of it but never in Manhattan.Unfortunately so many regional theaters have closed during the pandemic.There was one around the corner from where we live that closed last year.

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, George C said:

Some good news for Broadway, Springsteen is bringing back his one man show to St James theater starting in June 26th.

Yep. May see if we can get tickets. Not doing verified fan this time, which I consider a mistake, but it was an amazing show! (Helps if you're a Springsteen fan, obviously!)

• Like 1