Cruise Critic Community
mactire

Credit Card charges on CMV

I January 2018 we sailed the Caribbean with Marella and on boarding I was informed that they charge 2% if you use your credit card for your onboard account.

I used my Debit Card instead.

I emailed Marella but got no reply, which is usual for them. I should hope that CMV do not try that trick. Any comments.

The ban on charging for using a credit card came in on 13 January. Was your Marella cruise before that date? Fred Olsen have stopped charging for using one. I would expect CMV to have done the same. But maybe somebody on here has recent experience and can advise?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just had a look at their website. It says there is a 3 per cent charge for using travellers cheques, but all it says for cards is that the issuing bank may make a charge as the payments are processed outside of the UK. So it sounds like CMV themselves do not charge.

We just paid for our cruise last week CMV with our VISA debitcard and there was no charge for that.

Our cruise was on January 21st. They charged 2% for credit cards but no charge for debit cards.

Our cruise was on January 21st. They charged 2% for credit cards but no charge for debit cards.

Possibly due to UK laws not applying on a ship registered in another country and not currently docked in the UK? Whereas the Fred Olsen ship was in Dover. Don’t know!

I have never heard of any cruise company making a charge for using a credit card to settle an onboard account. Totally outrageous as no other cruise line does this and anyway, it's now illegal too add any surcharges to credit cards.

From the CMV web site

With effect from 13th January 2018 any payments made by credit card against bookings made after the 18th July 2017, will no longer attract a credit card fee. Balance payments by credit card for bookings made on or before the 18th July 2017 will continue to be charged at the existing rate.

My reply referred to on board accounts, not balance payments.