Snorkeling...

Wondering where people have found really good snorkeling in the Caribbean? We are planning a trip for this coming February and a number of the group's top thing on the list is snorkeling. Any suggestions are helpful. Thanks!!

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Forums mobile app

Wondering where people have found really good snorkeling in the Caribbean? We are planning a trip for this coming February and a number of the group's top thing on the list is snorkeling. Any suggestions are helpful. Thanks!!

Snorkeling is my reason for cruising - ABC Islands (Scubacau-Curacao/Woodwind-Bonaire), Fury Catamaran-Cozumel, Grand Caymans, Roatan. Research the providers and have an amazing time.

• Like 1

CoCo Cay is great, almost any beach in St. Thomas, not much on St. Maarten proper. Of course Cozumel and Belize especially if you book an excursion. Here's my video of Goff's Caye in Belize and this wasn't even the good side of the Caye:

And this is a great drone vid of it:

West Bay Beach in Roatan but be careful, you can get stuck in the reef.

• Thanks 1

CoCo Cay is great, almost any beach in St. Thomas, not much on St. Maarten proper. Of course Cozumel and Belize especially if you book an excursion. Here's my video of Goff's Caye in Belize and this wasn't even the good side of the Caye:
And this is a great drone vid of it:

West Bay Beach in Roatan but be careful, you can get stuck in the reef.

Where in coco cay. Thank y

Bonaire, Aruba, were both fabulous. You can snorkle a sunken freighter in Aruba, the SS Antilles. We also enjoyed the speedboat and snorkel excursion in Labadee. Totally different ecosystem, lots of fan corals. Cozumel is good too, the Palancar reef. Lots of choices!

Bonaire, by far. Curacao and Belize are runners up for me. Barbados, Cozumel, and St. Lucia are third tier (and roughly in that order). Aruba is last. Grand Cayman is supposed to have good snorkeling but we did something else the one time we were there. Roatan is supposed to have good snorkeling but we didn't see much.

Loved the Southern route. Barbados was my favorite, snorkeled with sea turtles with Sail Calabaza. St. Lucia snorkeling between the Pitons was awesome. On the Western route, Cozumel is always a solid snorkeling experience. On the Eastern route, before the storm St. Maarten was good. The Southern route may be warmer in February.

Here is a pink octopus I found in the coral piled up in snorkel bay, but the back side has sea grass full of critters. You can also go out snorkeling under the guard stations, tons of fish:

i1cmbo.jpg

o7t8n8.jpg

Give the itin and I can tell you where we snorkel

OMG CocoCay has awesome snorkeling. If you get on the island and walk all the way to the left, go out by the rocks and snorkel where the rocks split (you can see the lifeguard station on the other side of the rocks) the snorkeling is amazing, especially if you go early in the morning before tons of people are out there. Then if you go to the right across the shallow seagrass area towards the next lifeguard area, there is a sunken sea plane and good snorkeling there also. Honestly, you can snorkel all over in CocoCay and your are going to see something. If you have your own equipment (including a life vest) way cheaper than the $40 a day they charge you. We have our own stuff and just go out early (we are on the first tender off the ship) and totally enjoy the stuff we see. One of my favorite places in the Caribbean to snorkel - others - Grand Cayman at Eden Point, Roatan at West Bay Beach, STT at Coki Beach, Antigua - snorkel tour of the ship with Waldadli Cats. Although the snorkeling in Bonaire is good, I absolutely hate that island so hopefully will never go back. Other places we have been but if I know your itin I can give you more opinions.

OMG CocoCay has awesome snorkeling. If you get on the island and walk all the way to the left, go out by the rocks and snorkel where the rocks split (you can see the lifeguard station on the other side of the rocks) the snorkeling is amazing, especially if you go early in the morning before tons of people are out there. Then if you go to the right across the shallow seagrass area towards the next lifeguard area, there is a sunken sea plane and good snorkeling there also. Honestly, you can snorkel all over in CocoCay and your are going to see something. If you have your own equipment (including a life vest) way cheaper than the $40 a day they charge you. We have our own stuff and just go out early (we are on the first tender off the ship) and totally enjoy the stuff we see. One of my favorite places in the Caribbean to snorkel - others - Grand Cayman at Eden Point, Roatan at West Bay Beach, STT at Coki Beach, Antigua - snorkel tour of the ship with Waldadli Cats. Although the snorkeling in Bonaire is good, I absolutely hate that island so hopefully will never go back. Other places we have been but if I know your itin I can give you more opinions.

Very curious as to why you hate Bonaire?

Although the snorkeling in Bonaire is good, I absolutely hate that island so hopefully will never go back.

Have been to Bonaire twice and never even saw enough of the island to form an opinion. Woodwind is literally a 5 minute walk from the ship and when you're done you can get some gelato at Gio's, do some shopping, and then get right back on the ship without having gone more than a few hundred feet from the pier. Even if you do hate the island I'm not sure why this would keep you from the amazing snorkeling :)

Very curious as to why you hate Bonaire?

Beaches were the worst ever, island is nothing but a flat wasteland. Unless you take a tour, there is absolutely nothing to do there. I researched hours to try to find a good beach, one that everyone said was the best. It was the worst I have ever been too. Rocky, walk into the water and drop to 100 ft, bathrooms stank, etc.

Again if you take a tour to snorkel or dive, it is probably great, but if you just want a great beach to hang out at, not happening. If we ever go back there (and hopefully we won't) we will stay on the ship.