From the cow kings to an Empress, Norton goes on a little Sojourn

Good on those looking for the positives, it must be quite disappointing for all. We experienced the issues and remedial work in Feb/March so know exactly what you describing.

Glad the weather at least is being kind.

Markham - we're Australian and we get it.

We are doing the same trip next year. Interested in your continuing updates Emperor Norton.

In the absence of any info about a completion date for the pool deck work, it’s left to rumour and speculation. We were originally told it would take “a couple of days”. Nonsense. Another (rumoured) completion is when we arrive in Vancouver on 4 June. Judging by the slow progress of this work I’d say the latter is more likely. The fact that all this is happening on a crossing of several consecutive sea days with everyone “trapped” on board certainly makes things more difficult.

But the weather so far has been remarkably benign - cold of course but with little wind or rain and calm seas so the work isn’t being held up so who knows.

We are getting on in Vancouver June 4 for our first Seabourn cruise. I’m getting a little nervous about what to expect. Thank you for sharing and I’ll be following closely.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are getting on in Vancouver June 4 for our first Seabourn cruise. I’m getting a little nervous about what to expect. Thank you for sharing and I’ll be following closely.

If the chef leaves and the green crew who don’t take drink orders and try to get your dessert/appetizer/entree orders at the same time go - you’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still watching this thread with interest. From my understanding of how things should be done, there should have been a disclosure about this work being done BEFORE passengers boarded this ship. I'm not on the ship, but it sounds major enough to me to warrant a heads up with options for passengers if they did not wish to be a cruise laden with construction.

After asking around it seems that some pax were given a very low key heads up when they boarded, others knew nothing. I think the extent of th deck damage, the amount of time it would take to fix it and the major disruption the repairs would cause came as an unwelcome surprise for everyone including Capt Roberts who’s been keeping a close eye on things. Yesterday (Thurs local) he finally said “enough” and ordered the work to stop and the Patio Grill/Bar reopened.

The offer of $500 OBC which can only go back into Seabourn’s coffers is almost an insult.

After asking around it seems that some pax were given a very low key heads up when they boarded, others knew nothing. I think the extent of th deck damage, the amount of time it would take to fix it and the major disruption the repairs would cause came as an unwelcome surprise for everyone including Capt Roberts who’s been keeping a close eye on things. Yesterday (Thurs local) he finally said “enough” and ordered the work to stop and the Patio Grill/Bar reopened.

The offer of $500 OBC which can only go back into Seabourn’s coffers is almost an insult.

So does this mean work will resume on the next cruise? How much more needs to be done?

I assume so. As I’ve said, deck repairs are usually a lot more extensive than would appear on preliminary inspection. It’s only when the old/damaged planks come up that it becomes evident how much needs to be done and this is the case here. The problem for Seabourn is that the repairs must be done ASAP or they will only get worse so I would anticipate more work being done on the next cruise.

I hope Seabourn gives pax adequate warning.

Someone really was not paying attention when the original work was done. I think this is a very unfortunate thing for passengers and thus for Seabourn. I would be very unhappy to be on a ship that was undergoing repairs while I was on a voyage. Another reason to go on Encore or Ovation! Of course I know they are not immune from issues of their own.

Someone really was not paying attention when the original work was done. I think this is a very unfortunate thing for passengers and thus for Seabourn. I would be very unhappy to be on a ship that was undergoing repairs while I was on a voyage. Another reason to go on Encore or Ovation! Of course I know they are not immune from issues of their own.

We were on the first cruise after the refurb and there had been delays caused by weather amongst other things. I think there might have been some issues with local customs delaying materials as well from memory.

Had they been able to throw Labour at the problem and work round the clock in dock the work could have been undertaken much quicker. Trying to work around guests and minimise impact slows things down massively.

The actual work involved is fairly predictable but does involve craft skills and materials being able to cure - in particular the caulking which if not correctly applied will cause on going problems in hot weather.

Henry :)

If the chef leaves and the green crew who don’t take drink orders and try to get your dessert/appetizer/entree orders at the same time go - you’ll be fine.

/quote]

I'm confused. Surely starter and main course orders would be taken together. Desert could be selected after the main course is cleared although when I know what I fancy being asked at initial order would be a first world problem.

Regarding the pool deck problems don't forget that rather lovely space deck 5 aft with its small pool and 2 hot tubs. Possibly more sheltered as well if the weather isn't roasting hot. If the ship were firing on all 12 cylinders they could even use the club bar to provide drinks service to that area and also the club its self if the weather was less than perfect to make up for the main pool deck......

/quote]

I'm confused. Surely starter and main course orders would be taken together. Desert could be selected after the main course is cleared although when I know what I fancy being asked at initial order would be a first world problem.

Regarding the pool deck problems don't forget that rather lovely space deck 5 aft with its small pool and 2 hot tubs. Possibly more sheltered as well if the weather isn't roasting hot. If the ship were firing on all 12 cylinders they could even use the club bar to provide drinks service to that area and also the club its self if the weather was less than perfect to make up for the main pool deck......

We had the unfortunate situation of being asked for dessert order at same time on several occasions in the Mdr last cruise. We corrected the waiter politely the first time and received a bit of attitude. Had to quietly speak to restaurant manager. Green staff but really terrible standards

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Henry, I think you are being a bit too forgiving here. Obviously the cruise had to go ahead, and no doubt no one knew at first how much disruption there might be, but in view of how it was and is, to me $500 is nothing like enough to compensate people on board. |If I were a passenger, |I would expect to receive a substantial cashback or a large percentage off a future cruise. Another example of poor thinking at the top - this will be enough to put some off cruising Seabourn again, or even trying it for the first time if they read CC.

The Patio grill/bar were open today which certainly took the pressure off the Colonade and Restaurant during the lunch rush although I’m sure the cold weather kept many people at bay. Certainly there were no takers for the refilled swimming pool!