Amsterdam Questions

CruiseMob

Hi, we're looking at doing the 14 day 2019 cruise to Alaska on the Amsterdam. We've never been on this ship, so any information you can provide is greatly appreciated. Pictures would also be great. Below are a couple of specific questions I have.

1. Are their cabana's?
  2. I have a teen that is dying to know what the Teen's club is like. I saw some pictures about an outside oasis - but is that old, do they still have that for teens?

Thanks!

No Cabanas on Amsterdam, sorry about that. No Teen Oasis any more, either, although there's a teen hang out called the Loft. BUT, she's a beautiful ship, the one that does all the Grand World Voyages, and she's undergoing drydock renovations even now in Freeport, Bahamas. The Amsterdam is one of four sister vessels in the HAL fleet called the "R" class": Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Zaandam, and Volendam. Here is a link to some information that may help you (or at least get you started):

http://halfacts.com/r-class/

We have sailed on the 14 day Alaska itinerary on the Amsterdam twice, the first on the inaugural sailing in May 2010. She is a beautiful ship...the HAL flagship, with a top notch crew.

Every time we have been to Alaska I have been impressed with the excitement young cruisers exhibit in being awed by nature...take a break from the cell phone and enjoy the experience!

Karen

We did the AK 14 day 2 years ago with our daughter/husband and two grandchildren ages 8 and 10 .. the kids loved Club HAL and couldn't wait to go each day. They loved dressing up for Gala nights too. We will do it again with other children/grandkids

have fun

harry

• 3 weeks later...

Cruise Mob

We did this cruise in 2017, Great cruise, The 14 day cruisegoes up to Homer and Kodiak where most cruise ships don’t go. There were several groups of teens on ourcruise, maybe 15-20 total that we noticed. They seem to find each other and enjoythemselves. They often hung out on the sports and pool deck onsea days. Also they often hung together during the evening Queens loungeshows. If you like to hike there weremany good hikes that we did on our own, no need to take the ships excursions. InJuneau, take the white bus Juneau tours to Mendenhall Glacier, nice hike toNugget falls. The best hike was Flattop Mt in Anchorage. It was a beautiful sunny day and there were lots of local young peoplein short and Tee shirts hiking. About 2 hr hike up and back. Took a shuttle. Ifyou look at the reviews in trip advisor, it is the most popular hike in Alaska.Review trip advisor and cruise critic for each port. We found lots of helpful information.We liked Holland American so much that next year taking the cruise to Norway and Iceland and the Amsterdam through the Panama Canal in January.

Does anyone know if the Lanai staterooms can be entered from the lower promenade deck with you key card? I know they have a sliding door, but I wasn't sure if it had a key card unlock or not?

Yes, but it is a different RFID card than the regular room key card.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks! Good to know about the number of teens. Mine has been worried they would be alone. We've done the Mendenhall hike before and will definitely check out the Anchorage one. Thanks again!

We did this cruise last year, and my 15 yo son had a BLAST. The teens spent the whole cruise together. My son came back to the room at midnight, and left in the morning. :')They even got fancy, and did pictures and ate together at one of the Gala nights. Its safe, and there are always eyes on them. We are doing the same itinerary this summer, and now my daughter will be old enough for the teen club and she is beyond stoked for it.