Voom ? for Grandeur of the Seas

So... I've never purchased an internet package before, but I JUST found out my daughter is pregnant and is due about 2 weeks before our cruise. So the price of our cruise just went up because I want to be in touch this time! I'm only seeing one internet package for our sailing - but it's way early yet. I've heard about internet + soda which isn't shown. It's too early to buy anyway because it's early... but should I expect to see the best prices and perhaps a package combined with soda closer to sailing (Grandeur of the Seas Jan 12)? Best to purchase pre-cruise? Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

Signed excited expectant Grandma! :hearteyes:

Unfortunately, there's no predicting when you will see the best prices.

However, if you purchase and later see a lower price, you can cancel and reorder.

we also are going on the cruise Jan 12th 2019.......I am also wondering about a package deal for soda and internet.......I have not been able to see any packages yet.....I figured it is too early to purchase......congrats on becoming a grandma ! ........would love to chat with you ! Anna

Its been floating at 15.99/day for 1 device for a while. Its 19.99 onboard for surf and stream. You can ONLY prepurchase surf and stream.

However, these are the speeds as of last week on the Grandeur.

62b58ee7a6e7e8131fd5479dd080e647.jpg

and at its slowest

49bc08316305a4cc3091c0952b1a2a45.jpg

You can stay in touch, but it will be somewhat frustrating. There doesn’t appear to be plans to upgrade this system anytime soon

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Anna - I'd love to chat too - did you sign up for the meet and mingle? Maybe we can connect there. See you in Jan! And I'll keep watching for a soda and surf package, but if I can't find a mix I'll just prepurchase the surf and stream closer to the sail date.

I had much better luck than Hansen on my recent Grandeur cruise. Maybe you will, too, Sue. :)

The first picture was actually decent for Grandeur and that was the speed it was at most of the cruise.

My frustration actually had to do with the router dropping on me. I would be midactivity like facetiming my wife or streaming TV and it would drop and I couldn't reconnect with the router. I think it had something to do with code that was generated. In an attempt to rectify my situation, mid cruise, I was given two new access codes. I had my laptop with me. Both would drop midstream, but they did NOT drop simultaneously usually. What happened in the past, is i could log off one device and log on with another. Also, if you logged in on another device, it would automatically kick you off whatever device you were on. The IT guy at first thought my code was compromised and gave me a new one. When the second one started doing the same thing after 7 hours, he gave me two new codes, one for each of my devices to see if i was being forced off my device possibly trying to log back on inadvertently. He told me not to switch devices. The two new codes, the one i earmarked for my phone was more stable than the one for my PC. Both would drop miduse unexpectedly. The one thing I noticed on this cruise that didn't happen on previous cruises. If i've been idle for more than 2 hours, it would force me to log back in with my code. I never had to do that. Once i connected, I did not have to Login my code again.

The slow speed didn't rear its ugly head until closer to the end of the cruise

There doesn’t appear to be plans to upgrade this system anytime soon

The Mariner dry dock which just got underway may provide a clue - none of the ships below Freedom class got the upgrade during their dry docks recently.

The Mariner dry dock which just got underway may provide a clue - none of the ships below Freedom class got the upgrade during their dry docks recently.

I know this is not conclusive, but when talking to the IT manager the last time, I said maybe your system needs to be upgraded to the O3B sooner rather than later, and his reaction was like "yeah, when pigs fly".

I know this is not conclusive, but when talking to the IT manager the last time, I said maybe your system needs to be upgraded to the O3B sooner rather than later, and his reaction was like "yeah, when pigs fly".

My understanding is that the price for O3b has been raised significantly and that has stopped RC from retrofitting it to more ships.