Viking Star, Other tours

sawtooth

We will be on the Viking Star, June 2019, Adriatic Coast, Venice to Athens.

My question is about touring in the ports.

After we do the included tour in each port is there generally sufficient time to do another tour.

We could either look at Viking optional tours or book independently with Tours by Locals.

Or, in some cases, skip the included tour (if consensus is that they are not all very good), and book something else.

Any insight is greatly appreciated. This will be our first Viking cruise.

The answer is It Depends. As in depends on how early you begin your tour, how long the tour is, and how long you're in port. If you look at your itinerary you can easily see what tours are offered. Generally the tours begin around 8 am at about half hour increments so it certainly is possible to squeeze in two tours into a day if you have a long port day. We did that when we were in Malaga last month--took the included tour in the morning, had a quick lunch back on board, and then headed out after for a for-a-fee tour.

Hi,

We are just about to do this trip, literally on Saturday. In the main I would say no you can’t do two trips as the timings don’t allow for it. There is one included one that goes at various times throughout the day just taking a couple of hours so if an optional tour got you back for just after lunch you could join an included tour if it left early afternoon. (You do have to book the included ones too when your booking slot becomes available).

We have only booked two included tours as the optional ones appealed more and went further afield, eg the Krka National Park in Croatia.

We have a two night extension in Venice and have booked a private guide so we are looking forward to going off the beaten track and having a boat to ourselves. I shall put something on here when we get back to let everyone know our thoughts.

Hi,

We are just about to do this trip, literally on Saturday. In the main I would say no you can’t do two trips as the timings don’t allow for it. There is one included one that goes at various times throughout the day just taking a couple of hours so if an optional tour got you back for just after lunch you could join an included tour if it left early afternoon. (You do have to book the included ones too when your booking slot becomes available).

We have only booked two included tours as the optional ones appealed more and went further afield, eg the Krka National Park in Croatia.

We have a two night extension in Venice and have booked a private guide so we are looking forward to going off the beaten track and having a boat to ourselves. I shall put something on here when we get back to let everyone know our thoughts.

Thank you G.Girl in advance for posting a trip report as I am doing the same itinerary in August. I also have the Venice add on but I haven't booked any tours as yet. Enjoy.

Thank you G.Girl in advance for posting a trip report as I am doing the same itinerary in August. I also have the Venice add on but I haven't booked any tours as yet. Enjoy.

I also thank you in advance. We've got this cruise booked in May 2019 and I'd love to read your comments.

Yes...Thanks in advance and have a fantastic trip G.Girl, I too am looking forward to reading your trip report...Travelswithmycamera I hope you will also do a report or review. Empires of the Mediterranean is at the top of my wish list for an anniversary trip in 2020 followed closely by Venice the Adriatic and Greece, hoping that feedback will help us decide between the two.