P & O Alcohol Policy

fastnloose

Good point. Before you know it there will be an allowance of one toilet roll per cabin per cruise, with additional rolls available at £5 per roll. If you wish to bring your own roll aboard, the first roll will be free, and after that a £10 per roll Andrex tax will be charged.

Of course, sone unscrupulous passengers will claim that they are just bringing kitchen towels on board for cleaning purposes.

As the supporters of the new alcohol policy will say, "If you can afford a cruise, you can afford to pay for your own toilet paper. "

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

:D...but did you know that Andrex Quilts toilet paper gums up the plumbing system on a cruise ship? Its too thick....thats why they supply that stuff you can almost see through....

:D...but did you know that Andrex Quilts toilet paper gums up the plumbing system on a cruise ship? Its too thick....thats why they supply that stuff you can almost see through....

But surely having to use 4 of the standard sheets per wipe to accomplish the same job as only one quilt sheet will also block up the system?

I think the reason that some if us get "het up" up, is that the policy is so inconsidered. Allowing someone to bring on a litre of gin, but only a litre of wine is ridiculous.

If the new policy was just one bottle of wine per person, then it would have been understandable, as then the policy would have fallen into the corporate alcohol structure.

Considering the colour of the wine bottle glass and the now popular screw cap, could a wine bottle contain something other than wine?

We've just come back from a 2 week Mediterranean Cruise on Aurora. We did stick to the policy and took on board a bottle of wine each. I was considering stashing an additional bottle in each of our suitcases, but decided not to in case of breakages. I also thought that in the overall scheme of things, I would have been saving no more that £20-£30 by doing this so decided what was the point.

In terms of enforcement on embarkation or during ports of call it did seem very much an 'honesty policy'. No one checked our hand luggage on embarkation or on any of the ports of call. On ports of call, there was a table set up and people were voluntarily handing alcohol in, rather than being searched and demands made. I guess slight difference with ports where P&O did the security, where they know people must have bottles on them, but again I saw no-one being directed towards the 'confiscation table'.

The alcohol was available for collection the day before we arrived back at Southampton.

Tip: enter a few quizzes - free bottle of house wine if you win!!

Have you tried the free wine you win on quizzes? It tastes like drain cleaner!!!

:) LOL - I guess it depends on your starting point. If you're used to £5/£6 bottles of wine from Tesco it's not too bad after the first glass. If you're used to expensive wine then yes, probably drain cleaner. (not that I've personally tried to drink drain cleaner).

With the new policy it seems that P&O have, I believe, achieved their aim in reducing the amount of alcohol taken onboard and seems to have put a stop to those openly bringing crates and trolleys full onboard.

In terms of crates and trolleys full, I would agree - and they were quite right to stop this. As far as the odd bottle here and there, which seemed to cause the most consternation, it doesn't seem to be being implemented. Any system based upon 'honesty' or self declaration will fail. How many people breath a sigh of relief when they get through a 'nothing to declare' line at an airport ;)

With the new policy it seems that P&O have, I believe, achieved their aim in reducing the amount of alcohol taken onboard and seems to have put a stop to those openly bringing crates and trolleys full onboard.

But isn't that a bit of a myth? Wasn't the old policy that people could bring on 'reasonable' amounts of alcohol, and if you brought on more they would hold it for you until you got back? So surely they've always had the power to stop people bringing on crates of booze?

We take a bottle of wine for the wife and a small bottle of Vodka with some pepsi max just so we can have a little drink whilst getting ready of an evening. We still buy drinks at the bars, restaurants and pool side as they are so reasonable in price. Still like the option to take our bit on board though

The alcohol policy was a deciding factor to travel with P&O. We like a drink on our balcony before dinner. We still buy wine at dinner and cocktails in the bars. I have never stayed in a hotel where you couldn't take what you like to your room. It is an infringement of our liberty.

P&O have also cut back on Peninsular club evenings and we feel the quality of food is in decline. We have cruised with far superior cruise lines, that look after loyal customers, but P&O suited us because of its relaxed alcohol policy.

We will now go back to cruising with other companies.

The alcohol policy was a deciding factor to travel with P&O. We like a drink on our balcony before dinner. We still buy wine at dinner and cocktails in the bars. I have never stayed in a hotel where you couldn't take what you like to your room. It is an infringement of our liberty.

P&O have also cut back on Peninsular club evenings and we feel the quality of food is in decline. We have cruised with far superior cruise lines, that look after loyal customers, but P&O suited us because of its relaxed alcohol policy.

We will now go back to cruising with other companies.

Won't you find that the other cruise lines have much more stringent alcohol policies than P&O eg none at all allowed on Fred Olsen? I have been on several events on boats ( yes, I mean boats, not ships before anyone corrects me ;)) where alcohol was strictly prohibited - one reason once given was the need to regulate re health and safety aspects of being aboard a vessel on the water as opposed to a hotel on land.

Some of the more enjoyable occasions pertaining to the purchase and consumption of cocktails was when the line designated a "Two 4 One" pricing period, usually pre dinner. The line would make no less profit by virtue of the increase in sale volume as the lounge would soon fill with passengers to take advantage of the pricing. But the result was the jovial atmosphere which added to the evening and cruise. Unfortunately I have not seen this social enhancing offer of late with passengers now achieving their own economies in their cabin.

Some of the more enjoyable occasions pertaining to the purchase and consumption of cocktails was when the line designated a "Two 4 One" pricing period, usually pre dinner. The line would make no less profit by virtue of the increase in sale volume as the lounge would soon fill with passengers to take advantage of the pricing. But the result was the jovial atmosphere which added to the evening and cruise. Unfortunately I have not seen this social enhancing offer of late with passengers now achieving their own economies in their cabin.

Remember when they used to have the “cocktail of the day” at a reduced price? That’s stopped now, they’re the same price whether daily special or not.

Conversely, we were on our fourth sailing with a Greek line that had a five port call itinerary around Cuba. That year unfortunately they introduced a new beverage manager who, believe it or not, held religious beliefs as to the evils of alcohol. Controls were placed upon the bars, especially in measurements of individual drink volume poured with an accuracy that could only be attributed to that of a chemical laboratory. Drink garnishes were reduced or withdrawn altogether as so was our business with this line thereafter. The last we heard the line gave up the itinerary and returned home. The depths to which a cruise line will go to uphold their bottom line is unfathomable.

I have never felt the call to save on 2-1 drinks, I guess they serve them to encourage more people out of their cabins at siesta time to drink in the bars.

I must confess that if I had pre-dinner drinks I'd be on my back by the time the sweet arrived.

I am disappointed with the new policy I loved a drink on the balcony mid afternoon and another whilst getting ready it didn't stop our bar bill being rather high. My partner mainly drinks beer so mostly for him its purchase at the bars he does like the occasional vodka and cranberry but usually as a night cap. I will be open and honest it did save us a bit of money having a few bottles of gin for room use , we only cruise the Caribbean so liked to pickup some gin treats in St Maarten, we will get round it by taking 2 x 2L on board from duty free and then purchase a bottle on board and that's me happy.

With that volume of gin, "happy" would be putting it mildly. As I have never seen a 2L bottle of gin on the market I have to ask how one successfully passes security with one such bottle, let alone two.

With that volume of gin, "happy" would be putting it mildly. As I have never seen a 2L bottle of gin on the market I have to ask how one successfully passes security with one such bottle, let alone two.

You can get Bathtub gin in 1.5 and 6 litre bottles!

whoops a daisy bit of over load there I meant 2 x 1L and get another one if needed what I should also have said is often I don't buy the 1L bottles it's the 70cl size as I usually go for a speciality gin with rhubarb or something like that gosh you are right I looked a right lush especially when we have a bar bill i'd never have set foot outside the balcony!!!

My reason for the original question is because my favourite chardonny comes in a 2.25 litre box and not bottles.

I wondered if P & O would regard this as a gross infringement of their policy or might be a bit flexible.:evilsmile:

My reason for the original question is because my favourite chardonny comes in a 2.25 litre box and not bottles.

I wondered if P & O would regard this as a gross infringement of their policy or might be a bit flexible.:evilsmile:

If there are 2 of you, you could try your luck, otherwise drink half before you leave/embark. As others have said it seems to be an honesty situation so its up to you to decide if you want to risk it.

We have taken a 2.25 ltr. box twice now without any problems.