Cruising Ducks --- anyone else aware of this?!?!?!

We did this on the Grandeur when we sailed this on her this past October.  Since we sailed over Halloween I brought Halloween themed ones.   It was fun, hid them in the elevators and in the Centrum.  I gave one to the Guest Services lady.  They called my cabin and told my husband they had found my duck.  Obviously it isn't common on RCCL.  The kids onboard loved it!

We are currently on the Adventure of the Seas and my 8 year old nephew found a duck that said it was from Marietta, GA. He was excited, he looks for the friendship rocks near where he lives. If I remember I’ll get a picture to post. 

• Like 2

On 11/19/2018 at 6:04 AM, adiamay said:

We are currently on the Adventure of the Seas and my 8 year old nephew found a duck that said it was from Marietta, GA. He was excited, he looks for the friendship rocks near where he lives. If I remember I’ll get a picture to post. 

Thanks for sharing that you found one on Adventure!!  My daughter is excited to hide what I bought but she would be super excited to find one from another family.  Four more sleeps!!  Enjoy your trip!

• 3 months later...

So I am seeing a trend over on facebook.... apparently hiding little rubber duckies onboard & when people find them, they are instructed to post pics of their ducky “find” to a particular facebook page is a “thing” now. 

Looks like fun, but wondering how the cruiseline feels about all these tiny little guys being hidden all around the ship.... 

Anyone hear anything negative yet... I sure don’t want to get in trouble if I participate in the fun!  

• Like 2

We recently disembarked Vision. We saw one of the housekeeper/cleaning people bring something over to the 2D ship map in the elevator lobby and place it on the ledge next to the ship profile. I walked over to see what it was, and it was a cruising duck! I read the tag, and since we are not on Facebook, I put it back for someone else to find. Cute little thing, and it seems like a fun game. :classic_biggrin:

52 minutes ago, AFS1970 said:

DW will go nuts for this. She has a large collection of rubber ducks. 

So do you take them home or leave them for the next person or hide them somewhere else?

Either!  Whatever you’d like.   It’s similar to kindness rocks.   I know that some cruise lines encourage it, haven’t heard of any that discourage it, but do know some have seen housekeeping staff throw some away.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AFS1970 said:

DW will go nuts for this. She has a large collection of rubber ducks. 

So do you take them home or leave them for the next person or hide them somewhere else?

If you have a FB account... search for "cruising ducks" page, join it & there you will see how to do it. There are also files people have uploaded so you can make your own "tags" to attach to your duckie if you take your own. If you find a duck, take a picture of it (whether you keep it or re-hide it) and post it to that page... so the people that hid it know it's been found.

• Like 1

OMG! This looks like so much fun!

Every year I fill about 10-12 Christmas stockings (this does become relevant in a moment). One of the things I put in the stockings is rubber duckies but I always have one or two left.

So I have a supply of different ducks! Anthem of the Seas here we come!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, bouhunter said:

My daughter left 3 or 4 on Indy. yesterday.

My son found one on our last night, I wonder if he found one of the ones she placed!  He LOVES ducks so was so excited to show me and I had completely forgotten to tell him about them.  Now I need to ask if he rehid it or kept it, they stayed out later than we did 🙂

• Like 2

We found one on RCL Grandeur this month, first we had heard of this. We re-hid it someplace new and took a photo for the Facebook page. Looks like it's really taken off since this post started last year. I hope the cruise lines don't start to get annoyed. Some people on the Facebook site talk about bringing 50 ducks!