Cruising Ducks --- anyone else aware of this?!?!?!

My son found one from Traverse City, MI on our Indy cruise last week 🙂  He's back at school so I need to ask if he re-hid it or kept it!  It was fun for us as he has always loved ducks and his older sister works near Traverse City for the past 4 summers and will be there again this summer and we hope to take he and the oldest sister there to visit too.  We're definitely planning on trying to bring some to hide on our next cruise!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I love this idea! I think my kids will get into decorating a few to leave on Ovation.

My son got us started leaving quarters all around public places, like airports, train stations, CVS, gas stations etc.  When he was little he would ask me for some and then leave them around in McDonalds etc.  I asked him why and he said that if people like finding a penny think about how excited they would be to find a quarter! So now I keep all my quarters handy to spread the love.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

On our April 6-18 GOTS cruise there were several ducks hidden.  I did not find them, but someone I knew seemed to find several.  She gave me one.  I plan to hide it on our next cruise that leave from Quebec City.  The duck she gave me was from someone in MD.  So, I thought it would be good to take it somewhere much farther away. 

Here are a couple of pics.  Each duck has a "passport."

duck.jpg

duck 2.jpg

duck 4.jpg

duck 5.jpg

edit:  I was told that if you rehide the duck that it is good to add your passport with city info.  that way passengers can see how many times the duck has been hidden and where. I saw a pic on the internet that had 5 passports hanging from the duck. . . . talk about a migratory water fowl. 

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

1 minute ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Lol- I joined that fb group about a month ago, and had to leave because I got sick of the drama!  Lol... so much drama... politics, people whining about people not posting their ducks online, etc.  it was funny at first, but then ceased to be fun...

Where you there when the name changed to "original"...oh my stars, that was a ruckus.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, cruiser123! said:

Where you there when the name changed to "original"...oh my stars, that was a ruckus.

Yes I was and still am a member. It’s no more drama than I see elsewhere on FB. I think it’s a cute idea and scroll past the nonsense. I wonder if the cruise lines will start “quacking down” if lots of people bring dozens of ducks per cruise. 

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 1:47 PM, ShillyShally said:

My son found one from Traverse City, MI on our Indy cruise last week 🙂  He's back at school so I need to ask if he re-hid it or kept it!  It was fun for us as he has always loved ducks and his older sister works near Traverse City for the past 4 summers and will be there again this summer and we hope to take he and the oldest sister there to visit too.  We're definitely planning on trying to bring some to hide on our next cruise!

Our daughter left that :classic_biggrin::classic_tongue:

Just now, bouhunter said:

Our daughter left that :classic_biggrin::classic_tongue:

Awesome!  He was so excited!  He graduates college Friday so ducks can be enjoyed by all ages!  He'll also, at graduation, get to show it to the sister who will be back up near Traverse City next month!  We're hoping to get back up to visit her this summer, so beautiful up there though trying to get there can be time and $$ intensive 🙂  I already have ideas for what types of ducks to hide, now just need to book the cruise to do it 🙂

1 minute ago, ShillyShally said:

Awesome!  He was so excited!  He graduates college Friday so ducks can be enjoyed by all ages!  He'll also, at graduation, get to show it to the sister who will be back up near Traverse City next month!  We're hoping to get back up to visit her this summer, so beautiful up there though trying to get there can be time and $$ intensive 🙂  I already have ideas for what types of ducks to hide, now just need to book the cruise to do it 🙂

Yeah all ages I guess - our daughter is graduating from MSU in December.

Yeah TC is great - for 4 months a year:classic_tongue:   Pouring rain and 43 degrees today on May 1.......

Just now, bouhunter said:

Yeah all ages I guess - our daughter is graduating from MSU in December.

Yeah TC is great - for 4 months a year:classic_tongue:   Pouring rain and 43 degrees today on May 1.......

Congrats!  And lol, one of my son's best friends is at MSU, we saw all the MSUers on board and kept wanting to jokingly ask them all "do you know....?" for the best friend as we always joke we never see him here in Northern Virginia anymore 🙂  

And my husband keeps telling me those beautiful lakes freeze in the winter when I get giddy eyed and want to buy a house there! 🙂  But when it's beautiful, man it trumps a lot!  You're 43 degrees and rain isn't quite helping the sell 🙂

DW is planning on starting this when we take our next cruise. I will be her enabler, as she enables me when I do WheresGerorge. I am not sure about bringing a few dozen, I can't see more than a couple a day maybe as many as 21 for a 7 day cruise.

I found two on our Sth Pacific trip in March on Explorer. One was decorated by a little boy from Melbourne and the other started it's journey in Sydney. They have been to Vanuatu, Fiji and New Caledonia and had their photos taken all around the ship. I brought them home with me and we will take them next year on Radiance for the transpacific in April, so they will also get to visit New Zealand, Moorea, Bora Bora and Papeete before arriving in Honolulu. I will hide them on that ship and hopefully whoever finds them will take them on to Vancouver and Alaska and onwards from there. Going to be two very well travelled ducks.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/14/2019 at 12:47 PM, Daffydk1 said:

I found Viking themed ducks. I wonder if Viking Ocean will mind a few on a Med cruise. 

Did you take any? Will be on Viking in Norway next month and I have Viking ducks. Wonder if they will be allowed?

I’m not on that other site where the cruising ducks make their home, but I’ve seen them mentioned here. Therefore, when I found this little cutie on Symphony April 27th Cruise, I knew what it was. Back in our stateroom, the duck made a new friend! Since I found the duck late on the last day of our cruise, it came home with me for now, and is vacationing in Central Florida. It may very well go back to sea on our next cruise, and if so, will have updated passport information.

Meanwhile, maybe someone here will recognize the duck, the yellow one, not the towel one! 

D3F284B6-523D-4A2F-B9DF-5EEDA5088170.jpeg

E46CF31A-2B8A-495B-9274-4CC7216E6223.jpeg

Edited by perfect match