Cruising Ducks --- anyone else aware of this?!?!?!

I am so excited to find this board!!!!  We are sailing for our second time on Liberty of the Seas on Sept 1st.  Someone in our facebook group brought this up and I had never heard of it!!  It is such a cute idea I will be hiding 50-75 ducks on our cruise as well.  How fun for people to find!!  I cant not believe this has been going on this long!!  :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

Found “Honora” on the April 27th Symphony cruise. She’s currently vacationing in Florida, but expects to be back at sea on Brilliance next year.  I’m not on FB, so haven’t posted there. Hope the person who hid ”Honora” sees this so they will know what their duck has been up to.

DF8E523F-AF38-44C3-9478-8FB3C8EBA1F9.jpeg

• Like 3

19 hours ago, spencersquad said:

I am so excited to find this board!!!!  We are sailing for our second time on Liberty of the Seas on Sept 1st.  Someone in our facebook group brought this up and I had never heard of it!!  It is such a cute idea I will be hiding 50-75 ducks on our cruise as well.  How fun for people to find!!  I cant not believe this has been going on this long!!  :classic_biggrin:

Yep, littering on ships seems to be the rage with some people these days. 🤨

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I found two on Explorer in March and brought them home. They will be coming with us next April on the Radiance Transpacific and will be hidden and hopefully found by someone that will take them on to Vancouver and maybe even Alaska and who knows where after that.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, spencersquad said:

That's ridiculous! :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, spencersquad said:

over-saturation is going to make the cruise lines do a 180 on being ok with the ducks. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

Yep, littering on ships seems to be the rage with some people these days. 🤨

There's no way this will spread germs especially among young children who would probably never play with the toy duck found in a public area.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sizzlechest said:

There's no way this will spread germs especially among young children who would probably never play with the toy duck found in a public area.

It is still littering, no matter how sanitary the objects are. You can rationalize it all you want by calling it "cute" or "fun", but leaving items all over private property without permission is littering. Some of us are old enough to have been raised in an era where we were taught to respect other people's property and to not dump junk all over it. Being one of those respectful people, I find this ridiculous "duck" fad disturbing. Clearly some people feel much more entitled than I do.  

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

over-saturation is going to make the cruise lines do a 180 on being ok with the ducks. 

Have you seen any cruise lines say they are against this or it breaks a rule?  Not being rude, just asking a serious question.  Im just trying to have fun with something that is apparently a very old thing.  I was hoping it would be fun for others too.  Im almost sorry I even posted on this board.  Funny its for cruising ducks yet some people in here are against cruising ducks.  SMH  Not saying you are, I get what you are saying which is why Im asking the question to you.

44 minutes ago, spencersquad said:

Have you seen any cruise lines say they are against this or it breaks a rule?  Not being rude, just asking a serious question.  Im just trying to have fun with something that is apparently a very old thing.  I was hoping it would be fun for others too.  Im almost sorry I even posted on this board.  Funny its for cruising ducks yet some people in here are against cruising ducks.  SMH  Not saying you are, I get what you are saying which is why Im asking the question to you.

Not really directed at you. I am in the ducks group on fb because I found a duck. If you look at the sheer amount of ducks being hidden on ships it is just a matter of time (and the time could be now) where this little fad will wear out its welcome and become a nuisance. What started out as a couple on a ship has not turned into many people bringing many ducks. 50-75 from one single person on a cruise is already over-saturation and that is only one person and doesn't take into account the others on the same cruise doing the same thing.

You also have to realize this is an on line forum and people say things on here they would never say to a person's face. Me included sometimes. Don't sweat it.

• Like 1

Personally I think it’s nice and good fun but only when people are taking 2 or 3 ducks. I’m on the group and some people are buying them in the masses and 40 per person is not uncommon. I think the cruise lines might start to get a little annoyed as not everyone will find it cute and innocent. 

We took 2 on oasis recently and the kids had fun hiding them and they were found quite quickly never to be seen again. I hope they made someone smile and didn’t just end up in the bin!

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

Not really directed at you. I am in the ducks group on fb because I found a duck. If you look at the sheer amount of ducks being hidden on ships it is just a matter of time (and the time could be now) where this little fad will wear out its welcome and become a nuisance. What started out as a couple on a ship has not turned into many people bringing many ducks. 50-75 from one single person on a cruise is already over-saturation and that is only one person and doesn't take into account the others on the same cruise doing the same thing.

You also have to realize this is an on line forum and people say things on here they would never say to a person's face. Me included sometimes. Don't sweat it.

Thank you for your response.  That makes perfect sense and I totally understand.  I appreciate you replying back.  I have never found a duck nor have I even heard of this until the other day.  I just thought it would be fun.  I seriously doubt Im going to spend my cruise time hiding 50-75 ducks.  It was an exaggeration.  I just thought it was a fun idea.  I really hope you have a great day!

• Like 1

I just got off the Allure on June 9. I walked through Central Park most days and looked at the plants as I walked by. I never saw a duck, so this is not so prevalent yet. Central Park would be a fun place to hide them. 

This seems like harmless fun to me, but I can see how it could really get out of hand as it gains popularity. There is a limit for everything, I guess. 

• Like 2

Littering is improper disposal of unwanted items.

This is not littering.  It is a game.

And it is self limiting, there are only so many places to "hide" them.  So unless people are going to start leaving them on tables and bars, there are only so many that can be placed.

But I do think taking 50+ is a bit over the top.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, KansasK said:

I just got off the Allure on June 9. I walked through Central Park most days and looked at the plants as I walked by. I never saw a duck, so this is not so prevalent yet. Central Park would be a fun place to hide them. 

This seems like harmless fun to me, but I can see how it could really get out of hand as it gains popularity. There is a limit for everything, I guess. 

You say you enjoyed walking through Central Park looking at the plants. Would you enjoy is as much if in between those plants were empty coffee cups, discarded napkins, or yes, even bright yellow rubber ducks? Each of those items would take away from the beauty the cruise line owners worked hard to provide to you. Is that really "harmless"? 

It doesn't matter if those items were discarded or deliberately placed there. They would each interfere with an otherwise lovely appearance. 

Edited by SantaFeFan

9 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

'Oh, I am happy on this board. I enjoy cruising, and that is why I am here. What I don't enjoy is people littering on ships seems to be a thing these days. Sad that the lack of respect for private property or of other people other than themselves is a thing to even have a discussion about! The entitlement attitude seems to be the new norm now. That certainly isn't the way I was raised. 

But this thread is about those of us who litter on ships as you call it.  I am just curious as to why you follow this particular thread if you dont enjoy or find fun in the whole duck thing.  I am not trying to be mean, I am seriously curious.  I make a post about what this thread is about and I get attacked by people who dont like the cruising ducks idea.  So why are you guys even on this thread.  It would be like me going on a naked beach thread and saying I dont think people should be naked on a beach.  Again, not being mean, trying to figure it out.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, KansasK said:

I totally agree with you.  This trend started some years ago so I think if it were that big of a deal and getting out of hand it would have done so already.  I just thought it was fun.  I never saw a duck or found a duck or hid a duck on a cruise ship so its just new to "me" apparently.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, spencersquad said:

But this thread is about those of us who litter on ships as you call it.  I am just curious as to why you follow this particular thread if you dont enjoy or find fun in the whole duck thing.  I am not trying to be mean, I am seriously curious.  I make a post about what this thread is about and I get attacked by people who dont like the cruising ducks idea.  So why are you guys even on this thread.  It would be like me going on a naked beach thread and saying I dont think people should be naked on a beach.  Again, not being mean, trying to figure it out.  

I read it to share my views, just like you read it to share yours. Pretty simple concept, don't ya think?

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

I read it to share my views, just like you read it to share yours. Pretty simple concept, don't ya think?

I think so.  I just dont post negatively on posts.  If I dont like it, I just pass it by and keep going.  You could have made your point on your own without replying to my quote.  Mine was positive and what the thread was about.  I hope you have a nice day.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SantaFeFan said:

You say you enjoyed walking through Central Park looking at the plants. Would you enjoy is as much if in between those plants were empty coffee cups, discarded napkins, or yes, even bright yellow rubber ducks? Each of those items would take away from the beauty the cruise line owners worked hard to provide to you. Is that really "harmless"? 

Sorry, there is a big difference between empty coffee cups, discarded napkins, and rubber ducks.

And the point is, TO HIDE THEM.

To point, you have not even seen any.

• Like 4

Soooooooooooooo for all of you Cruising Duck haters..........here is what Carnival's Brand Ambassador had to say "Others have gone so far as to suggest that rubber ducks should be banned aboard cruise ships, prompting one concerned traveler to ask Carnival Cruise Line’s Brand Ambassador, John Heald, if this would happen on their ships. He not only assured his Facebook followers that the ducks were welcome on board (“Hide them. Find them. Have fun with them,” he wrote), but assured would-be hiders that “most” of the crew members knew not to throw them away if they came across them."  

So if the Cruise Lines dont care...............all of us Cruising Duck hiders and seekers........dont care what yall think either.  We will happily go along with the Cruise Lines that we pay to be on  THEIR boats and do as they let us!  Have a great day all!!