Invergordon to Inverness

Hydrokitty

We're on Eclipse for British Isles cruise and Tattoo in August. I have a question about Inverness. I know we dock at Invergordon and that it's about 30-45 minutes by car from dock to city. We're looking to take the 2 hour Caledonian Canal and Loch Ness boat trip which leaves from Dochgarren Loch (about 5 miles from Inverness) and planned to hire a taxi to take us from cruise port to boat dock and return. Has anyone done this? Does X provide a shuttle? I saw a post from 2015 that there was a shuttle for about $30 round trip to Inverness where I'm sure I can get a taxi to the boat dock. I also contacted two taxi companies with the following prices:

Inverness City Taxis: $190 (US) round trip and

Inverness Taxis: $312 (US) round trip

I went to the British Isles ports pages and found that I'm cannot post a new thread and there is no recent information....I asked for info on the taxi companies and found none for City Taxi and disappointing ones for the other.

Has anyone used either of these companies recently?

Has anyone taken the Jacobite Boat Tour?

Does X have a shuttle from port to Inverness and if so, what does it cost and where does it leave you?

We have taken the Jacobite boat tour on the Spirit. This was several years ago, but in retrospect, after reading my notes, I would not recommend this boat trip. There is not much to see and there is a good chance the weather and sight lines will be poor. It would have been more enjoyable with nice weather, but that's not easy to come by in the summer in Scotland.

I would recommend hopping on and sharing tours set up by Inverness Tours. You'll get a full day for about 130 GBP for two people. We thought the tour, other than boat ride, was pretty good.

Hugh Allison, owner and head guide with Inverness Tours, is an outstanding, knowledgeable guide. Provides wonderful historical and cultural stories as he guides you through the Highlands. And he will pick you up right at the dock.

Enjoy your cruise.

You might also try asking about the taxi companies on the British Isles / Western Europe Port of Call forum: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=233

I did they wouldn't let me post a new thread.

Thank you all, after much figuring and hemming on line and communicating with both taxi companies and jacobite...I finally came to the conclusion that this boat tour is just not gonna happen!! There was no way to fit them together with the time we were docked and the taxis were both exorbitantly priced so I booked an X tour instead. But thanks for the advice.

Hugh Allison, owner and head guide with Inverness Tours, is an outstanding, knowledgeable guide. Provides wonderful historical and cultural stories as he guides you through the Highlands. And he will pick you up right at the dock.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you Larry...I did contact Hugh as well as Gavin from Inverness Tours and both were very helpful and honest in explaining that what I wanted wasn't really practical for a private guide and the shuttle provided by the ship just didn't run in sync with the boat cruise. Oh well. The chances of getting a photo of Nessie were probably not very good anyway.

John-thanks for the info. Can you buy bus tickets upon arrival or should/can they be booked online ahead of time?

Vicki

Bus tickets can be purchased from the driver for cash on the bus easily. Bear in mind the bus drivers have no access to cash so do not give change so having a few £1 and £2 coins in essential as well as £5 notes.

Regards John

Inverness Taxis are quoting near double on the OP initial post.

As an aside when I docked at Invergordon on the grassy bit where taxis were offering trips at different rates and vehicle capacities. A guy drove up on the taxi green in a Ferrari 360 Modena. He was doing a charity thing £10 to sit in driver's seat and have photo taken or £20 for 15mins around town. I went for the £30, 30 mins around town and so did my daughter. We obviously went separately.

Regards John

Avoid Inverness Taxis. Here is my thread from 2016. It may have been a one off but I'd never take that chance again.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2392631

WOW.....that would have freaked me out big time since I tend to be a little anal about getting places on time! And thanks to hubofhockey for sharing your experience with jacobite. I have gone from disappointed to thankful...I've booked the historical tour instead. DH is thrilled and I'll get to see Loch Ness, which is in reality, just another lake!! ;p