Using Uber in Pureto Rico for Hotel/Airport Pickup and Dropoff

MACE

Go figure, the first time we ever use Uber, is outside the country.

On 5/5/18 we disembarked from AOS in San Juan and spent two days in Old San Juan @ the

Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel.

The Hotel Concierge and Bellhops told us Uber couldn't pick us up right outside the Hotel to take us to a beach, that we had to go outside to Uber's designated 'pickup' spot around the corner, without being specific where that was.

We walked outside and asked a 'taxi dispatcher' where is the Uber pickup? I understand his attitude, but he nearly jumped down my throat saying he doesn't work for those money grabbing you know whats, and just walked away.

Well, we downloaded the Uber App, found their pickup spot, and waited just 4 minutes with a description and color of the car (it turned out to be a brand new Kia Sole with like 5000 miles on it), that the Uber app told us what car was picking us up.

The driver was young 20s, didn't speak too much, but dropped us off exactly where we wanted at the WBC Hotel/Isle Verde Beach for like $11 and was surprised we tipped him (transaction was cashless, went right to the CC we entered into the App)

Did Uber back to the Sheraton and our driver (older in his 60s, very talkative, gave us highlights and history of the areas we drove past), told us just that weekend, Uber and the Commerce/Tourist Departments came to an agreement that Uber can now pickup/drop off theirs paxs at Hotels and the Airport, with him dropping us off right in front of the Lobby and the Bellhops having no problem with his car being there with a big UBER sign on the front dashboard.

We did not use Uber to the airport, has anyone tried them for drop-off @ the airport?

Overall, a very good experience using Uber in PR.

(a) San Juan is in the same country as New York...

(b) Stories like this is why the taxi industry is losing ground to ride sharing each and every day.

© We got dropped off at SJU this past Sunday - left Old San Juan at 4:40am and arrived to SJU by 5:00am. Worked perfectly, as always. We actually did the "pre-book" option where I booked the ride on Saturday night, and they give you a 15-minute window to arrive. I recommend that for any unusual time. Also, Uber doesn't charge the extra money for rides between 10pm and 6am that taxis do in San Juan, so our Old San Juan to SJU ride was $11.

(a) San Juan is in the same country as New York...

(b) Stories like this is why the taxi industry is losing ground to ride sharing each and every day.

© We got dropped off at SJU this past Sunday - left Old San Juan at 4:40am and arrived to SJU by 5:00am. Worked perfectly, as always. We actually did the "pre-book" option where I booked the ride on Saturday night, and they give you a 15-minute window to arrive. I recommend that for any unusual time. Also, Uber doesn't charge the extra money for rides between 10pm and 6am that taxis do in San Juan, so our Old San Juan to SJU ride was $11.

Well Said but disagree with your point A

Sent from my 5049W using Forums mobile app

How can you disagree? Puerto Rico is a US territory. There are no immigration checks between the mainland US and Puerto Rico. Puerto Ricans carry US passports and are US citizens. As a US citizen, I could move to Puerto Rico tomorrow and get a job in the same way I could move to Nevada or Oklahoma tomorrow and get a job. These aren't opinions, they are facts.

• Like 1

How can you disagree? Puerto Rico is a US territory. There are no immigration checks between the mainland US and Puerto Rico. Puerto Ricans carry US passports and are US citizens. As a US citizen, I could move to Puerto Rico tomorrow and get a job in the same way I could move to Nevada or Oklahoma tomorrow and get a job. These aren't opinions, they are facts.
San Juan is NOT part of the Continantel US land Mass. It is NOT a State in the US. Its like saying the US Virgin Islands are just like NY. Puerto Rico is completely 100 Percent different from where we live in NY whether you like it or not! And I still maintain we had to go out of the country to use Uber for the first time. Speaking of, care to stay on topic and have you ever been to PR and used Uber?

San Juan is NOT part of the Continantel US land Mass. It is NOT a State in the US. Its like saying the US Virgin Islands are just like NY. Puerto Rico is completely 100 Percent different from where we live in NY whether you like it or not! And I still maintain we had to go out of the country to use Uber for the first time. Speaking of, care to stay on topic and have you ever been to PR and used Uber?

I never said Puerto Rico was part of the US mainland nor that it was a state. I provided facts to counter your claim that Puerto Rico was “out of the country”. Those facts can’t be argued - Puerto Rico is part of the US.

Back on topic - yes, I used Uber in San Juan. Most recently was two days ago. That was my © point in my original statement.

Thanks for getting back on topic. Did you use Uber to pick you up/drop you off at a hotel or airport, and if so, any problems from the hotel/airport and taxi drivers?

We used it from our hotel to airport on Sunday morning. Set it up in advance Saturday night via the app. Hotel didn’t know or care if we were taking an Uber, taxi, our own car, or walking for that matter. Didn’t see any taxis out at that hour anyways so no problems there.

We used it from our hotel to airport on Sunday morning. Set it up in advance Saturday night via the app. Hotel didn’t know or care if we were taking an Uber, taxi, our own car, or walking for that matter. Didn’t see any taxis out at that hour anyways so no problems there.
Sounds good!

Used Uber in PR once, worked as expected, but this was during the time where there was a big conflict between taxi drivers and Uber drivers. Glad it worked for you, I'm still upset that the authorities do not allow them to pick up passengers at the airport.

Go figure, the first time we ever use Uber, is outside the country.

While I also differ with your comment about being outside of the country (but will not start an argument about it) I also used Uber in at least 15 countries before I got to use it in the continental US.

Uber cannot pick up at the airport.

Any amount of reading on the subject would have told you to not mention uber or lyft to the taxi stand in SJ. They have been having big conflicts over it. Just like many other cities.

There’s nothing off topic about this because YOU brought it up in your OP.

PR belongs to no other country. It is part of the US. Period.

You did not need a passport to enter PR (or go home from PR) by plane. It is in no way, shape, or form a different country.

So do you feel that Alaska and Hawaii aren’t part of the US as well? How about the Florida keys, since they aren’t obviously part of the land mass?

You brought it up in your first post. :)

FYI St Thomas is part of the US as well.

Used Uber in PR once, worked as expected, but this was during the time where there was a big conflict between taxi drivers and Uber drivers. Glad it worked for you, I'm still upset that the authorities do not allow them to pick up passengers at the airport.

The Orlando airport didn’t allow uber to pick up for a long time, either. There are likely still other airports in states that don’t allow it.

Taxis go through a lot to get permissions to enter ports of entry (which airports are), and rideshares want to skip the line.

I was happy to use a taxi from and to the airport in SJ. Very reasonable prices and they use a Zone map (plus cost per piece of luggage) so you know exactly what the cost will be before you get in the vehicle.

• Like 1

I was in San Juan 3 weeks ago. They definitely could not pick me up at the airport.

Things may have changed since end of April, on Uber's San Juan PR page they state:

Riding with Uber

Your ride, on demand

Whether you’re headed to work, the airport, or out on the town, Uber connects you with a reliable ride in minutes. One tap and a car comes directly to you. Your driver knows exactly where to go.

Disclaimer: YMMV using Uber for San Juan Airport Pickup and Drop-off...

We were in San Juan in late April and Uber could not pick up at the airport nor the cruise port. They could drop you off, but not pick you up. We used Uber several times from our hotel (Hyatt House) but only once to OSJ. They did have a specific pick-up spot near the Sheraton in OSJ. We couldn’t find it the night we looked for it so ended up in a taxi for nearly triple the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were in San Juan in late April and Uber could not pick up at the airport nor the cruise port. They could drop you off, but not pick you up. We used Uber several times from our hotel (Hyatt House) but only once to OSJ. They did have a specific pick-up spot near the Sheraton in OSJ. We couldn’t find it the night we looked for it so ended up in a taxi for nearly triple the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We stayed at the Sheraton OSJ overnight 5/5 - 5/6/18. On the morning of 5/5 they told us Uber could NOT pick is up or drop us off in front of the Hotel to go to the beach and said we had to walk around the corner to their designated spot, without telling us specifically where that spot was.

We found their spot, its on the corner of the street were Walgreens is at 100 CALLE BRUMBAUGH.

On the way back from the beach, our Uber driver said they can now pick up and drop off at hotels and the airport, as just that weekend, an agreement was made, and dropped us off right in front of the Sheraton, with no one, including the outside Bellhops caring about it.

Let me chime in here:

Before: Only designated "Tourist Taxis" (license plates 1234TT, for example), were allowed to pickup/be hailed in designated tourist zones (piers, airport, hotels with taxi stands). Limousines and vans, buses, coaches were also allowed pickups in tourist zones on a pre-arranged, pre-paid basis.

Now: As of May 5, 2018, the Public Service Commission, which is in charged of regulating public transportation in Puerto Rico, decided to designate the entire island of Puerto Rico as a tourist zone. At the same time, to allow Uber to operate out of those areas previously reserved for authorized tourist transportation, they now require Uber as a company and its drivers to meet the same requirements/fees/permits as taxis. Additionally, Uber is now forced to allow taxis in its platform if they want to continue operating here.

But: SJU airport is privately operated, and until they come up with a traffic management plan to accommodate Uber, and until Uber agrees to pay the fee that the airport charges for each commercial vehicle that goes into the airport for hired rides, they will not be allowed to pickup at the airport. This could be resolved sooner, rather than later. But no certain date is given.

• Like 2

Let me chime in here:

Before: Only designated "Tourist Taxis" (license plates 1234TT, for example), were allowed to pickup/be hailed in designated tourist zones (piers, airport, hotels with taxi stands). Limousines and vans, buses, coaches were also allowed pickups in tourist zones on a pre-arranged, pre-paid basis.

Now: As of May 5, 2018, the Public Service Commission, which is in charged of regulating public transportation in Puerto Rico, decided to designate the entire island of Puerto Rico as a tourist zone. At the same time, to allow Uber to operate out of those areas previously reserved for authorized tourist transportation, they now require Uber as a company and its drivers to meet the same requirements/fees/permits as taxis. Additionally, Uber is now forced to allow taxis in its platform if they want to continue operating here.

But: SJU airport is privately operated, and until they come up with a traffic management plan to accommodate Uber, and until Uber agrees to pay the fee that the airport charges for each commercial vehicle that goes into the airport for hired rides, they will not be allowed to pickup at the airport. This could be resolved sooner, rather than later. But no certain date is given.

Good update, thanks for sharing this information

Let me chime in here:

What he said!!

Uber cannot pick up at the airport.

Any amount of reading on the subject would have told you to not mention uber or lyft (not available in PR) to the taxi stand in SJ. They have been having big conflicts over it. Just like many other cities.

There’s nothing off topic about this because YOU brought it up in your OP.

PR belongs to no other country. It is part of the US. Period.

You did not need a passport to enter PR (or go home from PR) by plane. It is in no way, shape, or form a different country.

So do you feel that Alaska and Hawaii aren’t part of the US as well? How about the Florida keys, since they aren’t obviously part of the land mass?

You brought it up in your first post. :)

FYI St Thomas is part of the US as well.

What he also said!!

Was just in San Juan a week ago.

I only used a taxi when leaving the airport to the Hampton Inn. There was no dedicated Uber location and honestly I did not attempt to try as I heard you could not.

I used Uber from the Hampton Inn to the cruise port and I used it from Casablanca in Old San Juan to the airport. I walked to Casablanca from the port but it seems like you could of walked down a bit and ordered an Uber from the port.

No issues and was encouraged by the hotel staff when I asked if I could use Uber. Was a little worried at Hampton Inn because cab drivers post up outside of that hotel all day but none were there when my Uber showed up.

Uber is significantly cheaper than taxi, more than 50% because they don’t count the luggage . . . But I could not tip in the app in San Juan so I gave cash tip to the Uber drivers. Both drivers were excellent as was the taxi driver.

Using the Uber site quoted above, I tried to test price a ride from SJU to the Hyatt House where we will be staying later this year. The site said it could not price that ride without a reason. So I guess the airport issue is not yet resolved. Taxis are plentiful at SJU and easy to use.

• 4 weeks later...