Ovations of the Seas Alaska Summer 2019

I am looking at booking Ovation of the Seas for July 2019 in Alaska.

Is there anyone looking to book or already is book for Ovation in Alaska?

Just curious because it is a new itinerary for The Ovation.

Also wondering if a balcony is just too cold for Alaskan cruise or is it just amazing to sit out on your own balcony and enjoy the sights as you go by.

The Ovation has some very large forward windows. Is it better to save the $$$ and leave the cabin and sit in a covered area?

You guys are awesome! Thanks. I am honestly thinking about getting a jr suite aft. Not sure though. It will take some shoving some cash away through the year, but I would rather spend money on experiences then any more stuff

I personally don't agree with the popular opinion so far... Ovation changes the game in Alaska. Everyone posting so far, including myself, have only been on either Vision/Serenade/Radiance/Rhapsody or Explorer to Alaska, and I'm only guessing that none have Quantum Class experience. In my humble opinion the views in Two70 and the Solarium alone trump anything you will see from your balcony. Merion_Mom would be the authority here as she knows Anthem like the back of her hand as well as Radiance, having sailed Radiance last year for 67 days including to Alaska b2b.

You guys are awesome! Thanks. I am honestly thinking about getting a jr suite aft. Not sure though. It will take some shoving some cash away through the year, but I would rather spend money on experiences then any more stuff

Aha... not your average balcony or view. This changes things from my previous post a little bit. I hate to say it, however, interior cruisers will have the same aft view in the warm the comfort of either Two70 or the Concierge Lounge.

I am looking at booking Ovation of the Seas for July 2019 in Alaska.

Is there anyone looking to book or already is book for Ovation in Alaska?

Just curious because it is a new itinerary for The Ovation.

Also wondering if a balcony is just too cold for Alaskan cruise or is it just amazing to sit out on your own balcony and enjoy the sights as you go by.

The Ovation has some very large forward windows. Is it better to save the $$$ and leave the cabin and sit in a covered area?

That is going to take A LOT of saving. The only cabins on the aft of the Ovation are the HUGE suites. Two story suites. Big money suites.

Get the best cabin your budget allows.

Alaska will be quite warm in July. Actual "cold" is unlikely.

Does warm in July for an Alaskan cruise means daytime 60’s? Colder at night, and cooler on land when doing outdoor excursions?

It was warm enough on our September Alaska cruise to enjoy two "lay outside at the pool" days......and Yes by all means first Alaska you should get a balcony. That late in the season we saw the aroroa borealous off our balcony at midnight.....fantastic.

• Like 2

Sometimes your actions have unintended consequences. I may have been the last cruiser on earth who did not know about Ovation and Alaska. That changed when I saw your post. One hot minute later, my husband and I are booked also in July 2019 in a Grand Suite, on the forward edge of the midship bulge. Thank you!!!

• Like 1

Sometimes your actions have unintended consequences. I may have been the last cruiser on earth who did not know about Ovation and Alaska. That changed when I saw your post. One hot minute later, my husband and I are booked also in July 2019 in a Grand Suite, on the forward edge of the midship bulge. Thank you!!!

This is great! :D

Does warm in July for an Alaskan cruise means daytime 60’s? Colder at night, and cooler on land when doing outdoor excursions?

I've only been on one Alaska cruise, mid July, and it was quite cool to downright cold. Port days it barely got to 60 degrees ashore. Sea days it was mostly in the 50-55 range. I realize weather, especially in Alaska, is highly variable, but this was our experience. That being said, we had friends do the same cruise in September and they were in shorts and tees the whole week!

I've only been on one Alaska cruise, mid July, and it was quite cool to downright cold. Port days it barely got to 60 degrees ashore. Sea days it was mostly in the 50-55 range. I realize weather, especially in Alaska, is highly variable, but this was our experience. That being said, we had friends do the same cruise in September and they were in shorts and tees the whole week!

I get that and appreciate how variable the climate can be. I guess the safe thing to do is be prepared for cooler weather. One can always take off a fleece, but can't put on the one left at home.

We live in South Florida and our son-in-law is Canadian, and there's a pretty big (potentially irreconcilable) difference between how each of us defines "warm and cool". He wears shorts when I'm looking for my fleece.

We have booked a spa junior suite on ovation for our first trip to Alaska in June 2019. I am hoping for spectacular views from our balcony and also from the 270 lounge and solarium as previously mentioned. Also think that North star might be quite popular?!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I personally don't agree with the popular opinion so far... Ovation changes the game in Alaska. Everyone posting so far, including myself, have only been on either Vision/Serenade/Radiance/Rhapsody or Explorer to Alaska, and I'm only guessing that none have Quantum Class experience. In my humble opinion the views in Two70 and the Solarium alone trump anything you will see from your balcony. Merion_Mom would be the authority here as she knows Anthem like the back of her hand as well as Radiance, having sailed Radiance last year for 67 days including to Alaska b2b.

Hoopster95 The Two70 was exactly my point. Also the Solarium is all glass also, i think. Don't know if I can go inside.

Marion_Mom Thanks for the info on the AFT. Not going there if it is high end.

We have booked a spa junior suite on ovation for our first trip to Alaska in June 2019. I am hoping for spectacular views from our balcony and also from the 270 lounge and solarium as previously mentioned. Also think that North star might be quite popular?!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You are already booked! How exciting! I was thinking about a spa jr also.

Hoopster95 The Two70 was exactly my point. Also the Solarium is all glass also, i think. Don't know if I can go inside.

Marion_Mom Thanks for the info on the AFT. Not going there if it is high end.

The Solarium on Quantum just as amazing for view as Two70, the beat Solarium

In the fleet in my humble opinion. It will be absolutely incredible in there for Alaska itineraries... and likely very daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

We’re booked for the final cruise of the summer. Almost fall. We’re bucking the trend and booked an interior. We want to be able to afford it. And I’m sure there’s enough places to view the scenery. I can see ourselves soaking in the hot tub in the Solarium.

Anyone know how the hot chocolate is? Usually don’t order hot chocolate on a cruise. But we’ve always cruised the Caribbean, so...

• 1 month later...

We booked last week while on board Liberty. 6 rooms for a party of 12 in July 2019 (25th or something around there).

We've cruised Alaska prior on NCL and Norway on MSC. We enjoyed the cooler cruises. We brought our slippers and sweaters and drank our morning coffee on our balcony. It is truly amazing to be floating down the fjords and relaxing with a coffee on the balcony. We also set up our camera on the tripod and were able to take pictures without tripping over others. Absolutely stunning photos I have framed in my living room.

270 will offer great views and am looking forward to the North Star (I think that's what it's called???).

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Absolutely agree with Hoopster95...I said it before and I'll say it again...the Ovation will be the perfect ship for Alaska.

The views will be magnificent from the Solarium, Two70, and of course The Northstar. I could easily imagine someone enjoying the pool and hottubs inside the warm Solarium while viewing the Alaskan scenery. I could also imagine the Lifeguard forgetting about the passengers and just looking at the views. :D Note: Not so secret anymore...if you are not soaking in the tub or the pool in the Solarium, there a door (on the side) that will give you access to a wonderful viewing area...weather permitting.)

Even the treadmills inside the gym will have great views. And the Concierge Lounge, on deck 12, have aft facing windows...breathtaking! :)

Note: The two that wrote that they booked a Grand Suite and Junior Suite...you'll have access to Coastal Kitchen...request for a seat next to the window...:halo:

• Like 1

We are thinking about doing Alaska on RCCL next summer. We've only done Carribbean cruises on RCCL. I was glad to see this thread. I had seen that the Radiance did Alaska, now that the Ovation is going to do Alaska. Which ship/itinerary would be the better one to do ?