Ovations of the Seas Alaska Summer 2019

We are thinking about doing Alaska on RCCL next summer. We've only done Carribbean cruises on RCCL. I was glad to see this thread. I had seen that the Radiance did Alaska, now that the Ovation is going to do Alaska. Which ship/itinerary would be the better one to do ?

If you are looking for itinerary, Radiance wins hands-down. You get four stops in Alaska, with plenty of time for excursions deeper into Alaska. Ovation has only two stops - Juneau and Skagway. If you like a new ship, with bells and whistles, and more sea days, then Ovation wins.

Now if they put Ovation on the north/south route, then you would have the perfect ship and itinerary ;)

We are thinking about doing Alaska on RCCL next summer. We've only done Carribbean cruises on RCCL. I was glad to see this thread. I had seen that the Radiance did Alaska, now that the Ovation is going to do Alaska. Which ship/itinerary would be the better one to do ?

The one-way itinerary gets farther north and you have the opportunity to add a land portion.

If you are looking for itinerary, Radiance wins hands-down. You get four stops in Alaska, with plenty of time for excursions deeper into Alaska. Ovation has only two stops - Juneau and Skagway. If you like a new ship, with bells and whistles, and more sea days, then Ovation wins.

Now if they put Ovation on the north/south route, then you would have the perfect ship and itinerary ;)

Thanks!! I was wondering how the Radiance itinerary was. I don't know much about either ship. How does the Radiance compare to Allure or the Freedom? Is one direction better than the other (North or South)?

... How does the Radiance compare to Allure or the Freedom? ...

Very much different. Many fewer guests. Views to the outside from nearly every public venue. No Royal Promenade.

• Like 1

The one-way itinerary gets farther north and you have the opportunity to add a land portion.

Thanks!!

Is there an airport in Seward? Is that where you would fly in/out of? Sorry, if this is a stupid question. I haven't researched this much yet.

Very much different. Many fewer guests. Views to the outside from nearly every public venue. No Royal Promenade.

Hmm, that's interesting. I've only been on ships with the Royal Promenade. I've also done the Disney ships and Alaska on Disney. So, it sounds like it's an older/smaller ship......Too bad the Ovation isn't doing the more interesting itin.

Thanks!! I was wondering how the Radiance itinerary was. I don't know much about either ship. How does the Radiance compare to Allure or the Freedom? Is one direction better than the other (North or South)?

So, if you have been spoiled by the bigger ships, Radiance may seem small to you. To be honest, I was a bit hesitant to book her after being on Freedom, Harmony, and Navigator - I was expecting something like Grandeur, which we sailed on twice and loved, but it was just not in the same league as the bigger ships. BUT, we were pleasantly surprised with everything that Radiance had to offer. We liked it so much, we booked Serenade for Christmas 2019.

We chose to do the Southern Route, because we wanted to do a land tour first and then cruise. This was an excellent choice because the land tour is exhausting - early mornings, lots of travel between places, and so much to try and squeeze in with later excursions. It was wonderful to board the ship and sleep in on that first sea day :D Also, the overall flight time was almost 2 hours shorter flying home from Vancouver vs. flying to Anchorage (and more flight options).

Thanks!!

Is there an airport in Seward? Is that where you would fly in/out of? Sorry, if this is a stupid question. I haven't researched this much yet.

I believe most fly to Anchorage and take some sort of transport to Seward.

So, if you have been spoiled by the bigger ships, Radiance may seem small to you. To be honest, I was a bit hesitant to book her after being on Freedom, Harmony, and Navigator - I was expecting something like Grandeur, which we sailed on twice and loved, but it was just not in the same league as the bigger ships. BUT, we were pleasantly surprised with everything that Radiance had to offer. We liked it so much, we booked Serenade for Christmas 2019.

We chose to do the Southern Route, because we wanted to do a land tour first and then cruise. This was an excellent choice because the land tour is exhausting - early mornings, lots of travel between places, and so much to try and squeeze in with later excursions. It was wonderful to board the ship and sleep in on that first sea day :D Also, the overall flight time was almost 2 hours shorter flying home from Vancouver vs. flying to Anchorage (and more flight options).

Ahh, that makes sense doing the land first. Yes, I'm afraid we have been spoiled by the bigger ships!! It's good to hear that the Radiance still has a lot to offer. Good to hear that about the flight home too.

I believe most fly to Anchorage and take some sort of transport to Seward.

Gotcha!! Thanks!!

We are booked on ovation August 2019. A all ladies cruise we are leaving the hubbies at home.

We booked ovation for the ship and convenience of leaving from Seattle. No flights just a 2 hour drive from home. :)

Thanks!!

Fly to Anchorage and then take the train down to Seward. Expensive but worth it.

97decc52627201ff8c869efd47477650.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the views in other places may be better, but in the middle of the night, you're only going to be sitting out on your balcony...

i made more use of my balcony on our alaska cruise than any other cruise....especially in the middle of the night!!!

also i agree with the suggestion to take the train to seward....it's beautiful!!

also, i recommend spending a couple of days in seward......we spent 3 days there and i would have been happy to stay there longer..

• Like 1

I have to thank the OP on this thread.

This is how I discovered Ovation is coming to Alaska. I also booked this for August 2019 within 24 hours of first reading this thread. For our family with 2 teens, this provides the perfect storm of ship time with plenty of activities and the ease of round trip airfare to Seattle (a city I can’t wait to visit) plus Alaska! I can live with only 2 Alaskan ports, then we can splurge on one excursion. I think I will also like Victoria. With fewer port days we splurged on a JS with the extra large balcony.

I am way more excited about this cruise than our upcoming Caribbean one.

• Like 1

Just wish to mention that RCL offers the very best Alaskan itinerary they have ever sailed on May 13 on Ovation, a rare 11-day sailing from Vancouver to Seattle Including BOTH Hubbard and Tracey Arm [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just wish to mention that RCL offers the very best Alaskan itinerary they have ever sailed on May 13 on Ovation, a rare 11-day sailing from Vancouver to Seattle Including BOTH Hubbard and Tracey Arm [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wanted to book that one but couldn't get the time off work until June so had to settle for the 7 day itinerary.

Can't win them all!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We may be looking at a July 2019 Alaska sailing on Ovation.

We are looking at deck 13 balconies near the Solarium. From the deck plan its not clear if the most forward cabins lead out to the solarium directly. From what we have seen on some online videos it appears they do not.

Would it be better to get a room closer to the stairs & elevator if we want the fastest route to the Solarium?

We're getting ready to book a cruise on Ovation in August 2019, and looking at deck 13 balconies toward the aft. Has anyone stayed quite far aft on deck 13 on Ovation or a Quantum class ship and had problems with noise from the Windjammer above you?

Thanks, Pat

• 4 weeks later...
Sometimes your actions have unintended consequences. I may have been the last cruiser on earth who did not know about Ovation and Alaska. That changed when I saw your post. One hot minute later, my husband and I are booked also in July 2019 in a Grand Suite, on the forward edge of the midship bulge. Thank you!!!

What a blessing to be a in a Grand Suite! We are looking at July 19' also. Most likely at the end of the month. That is usually our vacate week.

I have to thank the OP on this thread.

This is how I discovered Ovation is coming to Alaska. I also booked this for August 2019 within 24 hours of first reading this thread. For our family with 2 teens, this provides the perfect storm of ship time with plenty of activities and the ease of round trip airfare to Seattle (a city I can’t wait to visit) plus Alaska! I can live with only 2 Alaskan ports, then we can splurge on one excursion. I think I will also like Victoria. With fewer port days we splurged on a JS with the extra large balcony.

I am way more excited about this cruise than our upcoming Caribbean one.

You are welcome! I heard from Jim Zimmerlin on youtube. Look up his channel. He does cruise videos and he is the one that announced OOS doing Alaska in 19'..

My family will be on Ovation the last week of July 2019. During our last cruise to Alaska several years ago we did not get a balcony and I regretted it. The scenery and the wildlife are tremendous and having a balcony to enjoy it from is better. Even if I have to wear a sweater or a jacket and sip hot chocolate while watching the scenery, it is completely worth it to me.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 5/19/2018 at 5:39 PM, LadyBeBop said:

We’re booked for the final cruise of the summer. Almost fall. We’re bucking the trend and booked an interior. We want to be able to afford it. And I’m sure there’s enough places to view the scenery. I can see ourselves soaking in the hot tub in the Solarium.

Anyone know how the hot chocolate is? Usually don’t order hot chocolate on a cruise. But we’ve always cruised the Caribbean, so...

I am with you on the inside. I am never in my cabin but to sleep. I get the view thing but I don't cruise to sit on my balcony. I always take the money saved and send it elsewhere. Like on this cruise I have added 3 days in seattle to my cruise. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/2/2018 at 1:03 AM, vrock said:

We are booked on ovation August 2019. A all ladies cruise we are leaving the hubbies at home.

We booked ovation for the ship and convenience of leaving from Seattle. No flights just a 2 hour drive from home. 🙂

We booked also for August 2019.  Just hubby and I.  Sail on the 16th from Seattle.