World Cruise Mistakes and Horror Stories

JustOneDay

On 6/7/2018 at 5:48 PM, rkacruiser said:

As one who has sailed one and one-quarter world cruises, I take exception to your comment "that only rich retirees can afford so much time and money". I am not in that category. I saved and invested during my working years and I am now able to enjoy the benefits of my frugality. Most thankfully!

Was I ready for the cruises to end? No. Were the preparations for the cruise a nuisance? They were a learning experience. Was I bored? No. I experienced much; I learned much; I met many very pleasant people, some of whom I remain in contact. I also met a very small minority of people with whom I hope I never meet again (and they may feel the same about me).

I can understand those who feel that too long of a cruise is inappropriate for them. We all have our likes/dislikes, our preferences. Some like avocados; I don't. I am not going to think any less of those who enjoy avocados.

I'd encourage you to continue to cruise for how many days your wife and you find enjoyable. Maybe over time, you might find extending the length of your cruise becoming possible.

So true.  This is my bucket list.  I planned on RV across US for 2 years, I planned on WC for two to three different itineraries.  Several repositioning cruises across the globe B2B2B and combine land travel Europe and, Asia.  So, I pinch pennies and start planning now for my adventure in 9 years.  Yes, it is still afar. But comparing the cost so I can get an estimate, what I want to do and how much I need to save.  By the time I get done traveling, I would be in retiring age to get my SS.  As a salaried employee, I would not be able to cruise around the world in Viking, Regent, etc but a careful planning and frugality, it is possible to get things done.  Also, WC is very varied, you can cruise inside room in Cruise and Maritime's 120 days for about $12,500 while you could dole out $250k in luxury liners.  Obviously, the person is not familiar with cruise expenses, even excursion some you do (safety and distance), while some you can go out and do a self trip using local transportation at cheap.  Also, building up your points with cruises membership can cut costs such as Spec meal, drinks, OBC, etc.  Some cruises offer specials, such as free drinks, free OBC, free excursions, etc so careful planning can go a long way.  Yes, planning is like virtual tour, after months of planning, when you get there, you get that sense of 'it looks familiar.'