Fiumicino Airport - Rome

We will be flying into Fiumicino Airport (FCO) for our Sept. Med/Greek Isles cruise. We will be flying in on American (7:50 a.m.) and our friends will be flying in on Continental (7:45 a.m.). Does anyone know if American and Continental fly into the same terminal? :confused: The website doesn't really show individual airline terminals. Also, would all flights from the U.S. end up with the same baggage claim area? Has anyone tried to hook up with friends at this airport and been successful?

I have been reading terrilble things about FCO. It was mentioned that it is filthy and do not use the restrooms. Can any of the 2005 Med cruisers that used this airport give me any current information?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

We are also flying into FCO in May, 2006. I did not know it was such a dirty airport. We are not meeting anyone, but perhaps if you called American or Continental they can tell you whether or not there are multiple terminals. Most airports do have an overhead paging system, so if you are unable to locate your friends, perhaps you can get an American employee or Continental employee to overhead page them to meet you at a place of your choice in the airport.

I know there are three seperate buildings, terminals A, B, & C. One terminal is for international flights, one has both international and domestic, and the third is domestic. Instructions on the train web-site give directions from the baggage handling area, so I assume there is just one area where all luggage is handled for the three terminals (this area may be quite large).

I have flown in and out of FCO for the past few years,and although crowded at times it is not a bad airport and I don't think it is dirty or any worse than other airport....you will not have a problem.I would imagine you will all come out through the same baggage/customs area and will be able to meet up there after the international flight.There is a tourist booth nearby and I am sure they will be able to help you locate your friends if you don't come up with a meeting point before then.

I flew into the airport just a few months ago for a med cruise. The challenge with the airport is that it is very crowded. When you disembark your plane and go over to the luggage area it is somewhat chaotic and of course there is the long line to go though customs.

I would arrange to meet them after you claim your bags. You will first go through the customs area where you will show your passport (expect a very long line) then you will go through another area where you will claim your bags. What I would do is say that after you get your bags that you either try to meet there or where you exit that area after you get your bags. But, do go through the passport area first and get your bags before you try to meet up with them as I would be concerned that my bags would disappear if I did not get down there soon enough.

Keith

Does anyone know if American and Continental fly into the same terminal? :confused: The website doesn't really show individual airline terminals. Also, would all flights from the U.S. end up with the same baggage claim area?
The airport's own website strongly suggests that both AA and CO will use terminal C, although it's impossible to confirm this positively using live flight information as it seems that AA is not operating to FCO at the moment.

I would suggest that whoever gets there first clears immigration and customs and waits beyond customs in a coffee shop. The airport website has interactive maps that show the locations of all retail facilities, so you should be able to pick a location at which to meet. In my experience, it's not easy meeting people in locations like baggage reclaim areas unless you know that terminal very well indeed (eg your home airport) and can pinpoint an exact location to meet.

cberge,

Thank you for your first hand knowledge of this airport. I will remember the tourist booth if I have a problem.

Keith1010,

Thank you for telling me about the passport area first. I would never have known. After meeting up with my friends, we have a driver picking us up. I guess we will just have to judge the time between customs and baggage claim and let him know. I will keep my eye on my baggage!

Globaliser,

I guess I missed the part on the website about AA and CO using Terminal C. I did not find any area of the terminal labeled for a particular airline. Thank you for the suggestion of meeting in a coffee shop. Maybe when the time comes closer we can check the website for more detailed flight information and where each airline is landing.

Thanks everyone - this information is keeping me from a meltdown!

cberge,

Thank you for your first hand knowledge of this airport. I will remember the tourist booth if I have a problem.

Keith1010,

Thank you for telling me about the passport area first. I would never have known. After meeting up with my friends, we have a driver picking us up. I guess we will just have to judge the time between customs and baggage claim and let him know. I will keep my eye on my baggage!

Globaliser,

I guess I missed the part on the website about AA and CO using Terminal C. I did not find any area of the terminal labeled for a particular airline. Thank you for the suggestion of meeting in a coffee shop. Maybe when the time comes closer we can check the website for more detailed flight information and where each airline is landing.

Thanks everyone - this information is keeping me from a meltdown!

We fly to Fiumicino and met my brother and his wife coming in on a separate flight also.

The international flights come into Terminal C (we both flew American) and you are transported by the Sky Bridge to the Customs area. We hooked up in the Customs area by agreeing that the first ones there would wait tor the others, which you can do. If one of your flights is delayed you can agree to meet somewhere else.

Thank you JLC@SD,

How large is the Customs area? Are you allowed to sit around in a waiting area for others? How did you know beforehand that you could meet there?:confused:

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Does anyone know what terminal one would fly into if they were flying from Newark, NJ to Rome with a connecting flight to Venice? I would assume this would be the terminal that accepts both International and domestic. I have about an hour between my flights and I am concerned about having to switch terminals. Since both flights are on the same airline, I am thinking that I will get off the plane and have to go through some kind of immigration to show my passport but not claim my luggage and go through customs. Can anyone provide me with some helpful information? I would greatly appreciate it :0)

Here is a site that may be of help to some.As to the terminal one flies into you can call your airline ,and they will be able to tell you as they more likely fly into the same terminal all the time.An hour should be fine for connecting flights assuming your flight leaves on time from Newark:eek: .As to the customs area..it really is not an area per se it is just an area you pass through after you get your luggage,and you can wait in the baggage area again assuming you all come into the same terminal.

Slow Travel Italy - Rome Airport and Car Rentals, AutoEurope locations

Thanks Karen!

This is a very informative site. This is CC at its best - everyone sharing useful information. What did we do in the "old days?" Finding out as much as I can really puts my mind at ease. Now I have to find something else to obsess about!:D

intercontinental and the so called ''non shenghen flights'' arrive at terminal C

luggage can be checked for the final destination ( venice)

domestic flights boards usually at terminal A

upon desenbarking following the sign transit you will first pass again the security controls and at the end of the terminal C the passport control

then just walk to the terminal A

the botleneck is the security check sometime you a very long line

which is not a problem if you already have the boarding card for Venice

Archived