Greenland-Canada new Itinerary?

WVBill

Bill, I think we were--competing in Trivia, among other things. Thanks for adding the unplanned trip up that fjord. Very photogenic!

As I remember it, we missed four ports:

a) Shetland Islands due to a massive storm

b) Akureyri due to high winds on an otherwise picture perfect day

c) Nanortalik due to the iceberg that would not move from where we needed to anchor

d) St. John's due to a storm in that area (Halifax was substituted, a day with great weather)

As I remember it, we missed four ports:

a) Shetland Islands due to a massive storm

b) Akureyri due to high winds on an otherwise picture perfect day

c) Nanortalik due to the iceberg that would not move from where we needed to anchor

d) St. John's due to a storm in that area (Halifax was substituted, a day with great weather)

Yes, that's right, plus I believe there was also almost a pax mutiny after the accumulation of these events, not that any of them were the fault of the captain. And one day at sea we were "locked in" for our safety because of the winds outside. That was our first TA, too, so quite eventful. Have not had those problems on subsequent TAs, fortunately.

Subsequently, we have been able to visit Akureyri (2016) and St. John's (a few yrs before that) on subsequent WB TAs so am happy about that. However, we missed the Shetlands yet again a few years ago. Someday maybe we'll actually get there. The last time (2015 or '16, I think), we were close to the islands, but it was quite choppy so the ship couldn't dock or drop anchor. We spent most of the day at anchor south or west of the islands so some underwater repairs could be done on the CB (the beginning of its propulsion problems, I think).

• 11 months later...

I'll be on this cruise in August.  Best I can tell, it is the first sailing of this itinerary.  Any comments re: the changeable weather and how to pack for such a trip?  This will be my first northern cruise.

Thanks.

On 5/22/2018 at 1:50 PM, paul929207 said:

Looks like a great new itinerary. We have been to Nanortalik and Qaqortoq (how many other places with 3 Q's) on the Ocean Princess. They are great little ports. However, I am afraid the Caribbean will overwhelm them. Both were tender ports and neither offered any shore excursions. There were icebergs floating around the harbor that dwarfed the tenders.

I'm considering this cruise. I was wondering if you can give me a comparison to Alaska?

I've done Alaska at least 10 times and I'm hoping Greenland may be even more awesome?

Thanks!

OOPs! I just noticed this is from last year.

Edited by Sillyjilly

17 hours ago, mjliss said:

I'll be on this cruise in August.  Best I can tell, it is the first sailing of this itinerary.  Any comments re: the changeable weather and how to pack for such a trip?  This will be my first northern cruise.

14 hours ago, Sillyjilly said:

I'm considering this cruise. I was wondering if you can give me a comparison to Alaska?

I've done Alaska at least 10 times and I'm hoping Greenland may be even more awesome?

Yes, it is the first time for this itinerary.  To visit Greenland in the past one had to do a WB TA, which we did twice about 10 years ago in Sept.  So am happy to hear Princess is offering this itinerary out of NYC.  It was pretty cold (ok, it snowed) when we were in Nuuk, Greenland's capital, the first time.  The next year the weather was better, and hopefully it will be better weather in Aug.  We "missed" Qaqortoq the first time, but made it on our next cruise.  Very small town (more like a village), but the setting (surrounded by mountains) was awesome and it was a clear, blue sky day and .  Were scheduled to stop in Nanortalik in 2009, but there was a magnificent iceberg where the captain had planned to drop anchor.  Instead he took us up a nearby fjord (there's a mining operation up at its north end) which was a nice alternative.  I wore long underwear on our stops in Greenland so you might want to bring some, just in case.  When we visited these places, I don't think the ship offered any excursions (the area outside these towns is generally inaccessible), but our cruise critic roll calls organized at least one excursion for folks interested in seeing the local birds in Nuuk (e.g. snow bunting).

To answer your question, Greenland is much more "primitive" than Alaska which has welcomed cruisers at least since the 1920s (when my peripatetic great aunt visited via steamer).  Greenland's glaciers are receding so don't know if you will see any; I don't think we saw any 10 years ago near the ports.

8 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

Yes, it is the first time for this itinerary.  To visit Greenland in the past one had to do a WB TA, which we did twice about 10 years ago in Sept.  So am happy to hear Princess is offering this itinerary out of NYC.  It was pretty cold (ok, it snowed) when we were in Nuuk, Greenland's capital, the first time.  The next year the weather was better, and hopefully it will be better weather in Aug.  We "missed" Qaqortoq the first time, but made it on our next cruise.  Very small town (more like a village), but the setting (surrounded by mountains) was awesome and it was a clear, blue sky day and .  Were scheduled to stop in Nanortalik in 2009, but there was a magnificent iceberg where the captain had planned to drop anchor.  Instead he took us up a nearby fjord (there's a mining operation up at its north end) which was a nice alternative.  I wore long underwear on our stops in Greenland so you might want to bring some, just in case.  When we visited these places, I don't think the ship offered any excursions (the area outside these towns is generally inaccessible), but our cruise critic roll calls organized at least one excursion for folks interested in seeing the local birds in Nuuk (e.g. snow bunting).

To answer your question, Greenland is much more "primitive" than Alaska which has welcomed cruisers at least since the 1920s (when my peripatetic great aunt visited via steamer).  Greenland's glaciers are receding so don't know if you will see any; I don't think we saw any 10 years ago near the ports.

Thanks! I think I'll give it a try. I hate long flights so this may be my only chance to see Greenland. Sounds like a real treat.

On 5/22/2018 at 7:43 PM, donaldsc said:

They are going to try tendering 3000 passengers onto 3 towns in Greenland which have populations of 17,000, 3000 and 1000 people. That should be a real hoot.

If you assume that everyone goes on shore and the tenders are stuffed to the gills w 120 passengers each, that would require 25 tender trips. If you additionally assume optimistically that it takes 15 minutes to load each tender, that means that it will take 6 hours to get everyone on shore and 6 hours to get them back to the ship.

Does the ship have 2 tender docking ports. If it does, that means that it will take on 3 hours each way. The ship will be in port for 11 hours so you will spend about half of your port time getting to and from the ship.

Doesn't make much sense to me.

BTW - I have been to Qaqortoq and Nanortalik off the Maasdam which holds only 1200 and it was a bit much with even that number of people.

DON

You're math is flawed.  I don't think it takes 15 min. to load each tender, and many hold much more than 120 passenger, but the issue is with it taking 3 hrs. each way.  That's only true if everyone lines up at the exact same time, it would take that long for the very last group.  Same with the return trip.  In reality, people line up at varying times and their wait for the next tender is never that long on a normal day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I booked this cruise a year ago, attracted by the RT NYC, stops in Greenland & Newfoundland.

The price recently dropped -- nice benefit.  Princess isn't offering any excursions in Greenland.  Some folks have set-up private tours.

I'm betting we won't make at least 1 (maybe 2) stops in Greenland due to weather.  [My 2013 TA from Denmark missed Iceland, Greenland & Belfast.]  We could have a pricey cruise to Canada w/lots of sea days.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, mjliss said:

So what happens if you book an 'excursion' (outside of the cruiseline) and cannot make the port?  I noticed that trip insurance doesn't cover excursions. 

If you prepaid for a private excursion and then miss that port, I'm afraid you're out of luck.  That's happened to us occasionally over the years, as we usually do private excursions that CC members (including myself) have arranged.  However, as far as I know there aren't (or weren't) private excursions available in Greenland.  The country's population is about 56,000; Nuuk's is 18,000.

When inquiring about a private tour/excursion, ALWAYS ask about the provider's cancellation policy.  If they want all of payment in advance, I go elsewhere.  ALWAYS ask about their cancellation/refund policy if the ship doesn't make port. (That is always a possibility if it's a tender port. "Dock" ports can also be missed.)

Since I'm a SOLO, I also ask if they accept solo passengers; some vendors only want even numbers for their vans.  I also ask that question if someone on the Roll Call is putting together a tour -- for the same reasons.

• Like 2

If you want to go to Greenland - do not put it off - as the new IMO Polar Code is coming into force over the next few years.

The Polar Code will effect vessels as they renew there certificates & this is the reason for various ships going to Greenland over the next few summers.

The Polar Code comes into full force on Jan. 1st 2022 & only new or a few refitted vessels will operate into high latitudes after that.

See Wikipedia & Google.

IMO-Polar-Class.jpg

Arctic-Polar Code.jpg

Antarctic-Polar Code.jpg

• Like 2

We are booked on the August 2020 sailing to Greenland.  I had never seen this cruise advertised before and wanting to go to Greenland jumped on it.  We have missed ports before due to weather patterns.  I hope we make all ports but would not be surprised if one or more had to be skipped.  

18 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

If you prepaid for a private excursion and then miss that port, I'm afraid you're out of luck.  That's happened to us occasionally over the years, as we usually do private excursions that CC members (including myself) have arranged.  However, as far as I know there aren't (or weren't) private excursions available in Greenland.  The country's population is about 56,000; Nuuk's is 18,000.

Although this may be the policy of a few private vendors, the vast majority understand that the ship missing port is not the passenger's fault.  I have come across very few who don't refund fully if the ship cannot make port.  After all, they want good reviews even from people who have to cancel. 

Now if you just up and cancel the day before or don't show up at all, then yes you are probably out of luck.  But that would be the same as a ship's excursion.  Just do your research, ask questions before booking, and you will be fine with independent excursions.

We are taking this cruise this August and have excursions lined up in all three ports; two we pay on the day and the third refunds if the ship cannot get us there.

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2019 at 6:04 AM, pompeii said:

Although this may be the policy of a few private vendors, the vast majority understand that the ship missing port is not the passenger's fault.  I have come across very few who don't refund fully if the ship cannot make port.  After all, they want good reviews even from people who have to cancel. 

Now if you just up and cancel the day before or don't show up at all, then yes you are probably out of luck.  But that would be the same as a ship's excursion.  Just do your research, ask questions before booking, and you will be fine with independent excursions.

We are taking this cruise this August and have excursions lined up in all three ports; two we pay on the day and the third refunds if the ship cannot get us there.

What excursions have you booked?  And with/through whom?  

On 5/22/2018 at 10:01 AM, DougH said:

This is a fantastic itinerary on I believe the Pacific Princess. The problem is the price is obscene, otherwise I'd be all over it. Great ports

Not Pacific Princess.  It is on the Caribbean Princess.

I’m booked on the same cruise but August 2020.   Penthouse Suite.   Not cheap, but life is short..

Looking forward to this itinerary.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

6 hours ago, mjliss said:

What excursions have you booked?  And with/through whom?  

Nuuk is through Nuuk Water Taxi, Qaqortoq is through Qaqortoq Water Taxi (sister company to Nuuk Water Taxi and arranged through them), Nanortalik is through Tasermuit Camp/South Greenland Boat Charter 44. 

Guide to Greenland has some information on tours, just make sure to find out if whichever one you're looking at is in a closed or open boat.  Open boats are apt to be a little chilly and not much fun if the weather should change.  Greenland Sagalands has tours out of Qaqortoq, but I was frustrated with their last of communication and booked elsewhere.  Are you booked on one of the Greenland itineraries?

Edited by pompeii

On 5/22/2018 at 12:01 PM, DougH said:

This is a fantastic itinerary on I believe the Pacific Princess. The problem is the price is obscene, otherwise I'd be all over it. Great ports

Doug - the price has dropped quite a bit on this sailing. They have had a difficult time filing the ship.

On 5/22/2018 at 2:08 PM, Kamloops50 said:

You can only go ashore if you have an excursion. There a couple of ports in Alaska with the same rules.

Are you certain about that?   So,  which ports in Alaska where you can only go ashore if you have an excursion?   That seems odd.

9 hours ago, pompeii said:

Nuuk is through Nuuk Water Taxi, Qaqortoq is through Qaqortoq Water Taxi (sister company to Nuuk Water Taxi and arranged through them), Nanortalik is through Tasermuit Camp/South Greenland Boat Charter 44. 

Guide to Greenland has some information on tours, just make sure to find out if whichever one you're looking at is in a closed or open boat.  Open boats are apt to be a little chilly and not much fun if the weather should change.  Greenland Sagalands has tours out of Qaqortoq, but I was frustrated with their last of communication and booked elsewhere.  Are you booked on one of the Greenland itineraries?

Yes - the Aug. 19-Sept.4 sailing.  Reading through the roll call for it, it seems that a number of the private tours have been cancelled for some reason, over the last month or so.  I have yet to book excursions, but am now getting antsy. 😅

Re weather in Greenland in August per Google:  Hi 53, Lo 41; avg no. of days with rain:  9.  So it's better than when we visited in Sept. (Google says that month's range is 45-36).  Definitely on the cool side in Aug so take some warm clothing esp. for sea days to and from.

On 5/9/2019 at 10:31 PM, AAAAmerican said:

As the US Boy Scouts MOTTO says: Be Prepared"!

Get at your Free Public Library a dictionary for Greenlandic too.

They speak that as well as Danish since until 1979 it was a colony of Denmark and then was granted home rule in 2009.  I don't recall salespeople not speaking English.

13 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Are you certain about that?   So,  which ports in Alaska where you can only go ashore if you have an excursion?   That seems odd.

Ports lie Wrangell allow tour passengers to come ashore.Town not big enough to handle people just walking around.