Caribbean Sept / Oct

I am thinking of doing a Oasis / Allure / Harmony in late Sept or early October. I know ships will stay away from any active tropical storms / hurricanes but what about other weather in the area. Does anybody have experience with daily thunderstorms / rain showers frequency and how it has effected their trips during this period. I know this time frame can be active with thunderstorm activity and would hate to have every port have daily rain especially in the afternoon.

Agreed, we cruise almost every year in September or October due to the low price but we are well aware that it is hurricane season and that ports could be closed/changed at short notice and the possibility of rain (so far we have not experienced any of those but I consider ourselves lucky). It did rain on a couple previous cruises but as Bob mentioned it is usually short lived. Enjoy the cruise and remember to be flexible with ports of call during that time frame.

Our kids school had fall break and we cruised in late September/early October for about 10 years almost every year. Great prices for sure.

I agree with what others said. For the most part you might get a couple hours of rain. I don’t remember anything crazy about more than a day or so except for one cruise on the Allure. There was a tropical storm our captain was avoiding but they warned us one night the next morning would not be great seas but we had to go through it to make it back to port in time. They were right. I wish I could remember how high they said the swells were. The ship was moving like I had never felt before or since.

I never get seasick and I was down for the count all morning. The staff was walking around handing out free Dramamine. But by afternoon we were back in calm seas.

But again, that was unusual. We love cruising in the fall, especially for the deals you can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the replies..... As you have posted about lower prices what would be a price point where you would look at a different time of year. I know everyone has their own personal level when it comes to money. What might be good might not be for someone else. Saying that If you were looking at the exact same cruise, same ports, same ships just different dates for example late September vs early December how much of a savings would be worth it to avoid any potential hassles with potential weather issues. I would be looking at Ocean Balcony rooms and am flexible in dates to travel. I also do not have to figure in things like kids breaks from school etc... If there was say a 300 or 400 dollar difference would that make someone say we will pay the higher fare to go in December vs the lower fare in September.

Thanks......

Edited by md80fan
clarify post

I’m worried about leaving on Allure this Sunday, and the post about Allure didn’t help!!:') First three days are at sea and afraid it will be rough!

OP was asking about a cruise during hurricane season (September/October). It is NOT hurricane season now.

We were diverted in July on FOS Eastern to Western because of a tropical storm. I guess any month it can happen, but more likely in Sept as well as the kids are in school

Technically, hurricane season starts in June.

We cruised last September, the week after the hurricane in Ft Lauderdale. I didn't think we would be going but we sailed as it turned out to be the best weather of any cruise we have taken. Of course, we didn't go where planned, but it didn't matter to us. I would definitely go again in September.

I've gone on about 25 Caribbean cruises in the Labor Day/September time period, as long as you can make it to your port for embarkation and debarkation you're likely to have at least mostly sunny skies.

And sometimes your 7 Day Western Caribbean cruise can turn into a 12 Day Eastern/Western Caribbean Cruise like last year. We were dodging a Hurricane all week+ but still had 85% sunny skies in the Gulf :cool:

I'm sure some day the weather gods are going to get me but then again I've probably already saved about $20,000+ over 25 cruises by sailing after the kiddies are safely back in school rather than during the summer.

Edited by Stallion

Thanks for the replies..... As you have posted about lower prices what would be a price point where you would look at a different time of year. I know everyone has their own personal level when it comes to money. What might be good might not be for someone else. Saying that If you were looking at the exact same cruise, same ports, same ships just different dates for example late September vs early December how much of a savings would be worth it to avoid any potential hassles with potential weather issues. I would be looking at Ocean Balcony rooms and am flexible in dates to travel. I also do not have to figure in things like kids breaks from school etc... If there was say a 300 or 400 dollar difference would that make someone say we will pay the higher fare to go in December vs the lower fare in September.

Thanks......

Colder in December

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

Thanks......

Hands down, would take the lower fare in the fall. You save $, flights are cheaper, and there are fewer kids onboard. We have cruised the 2nd week of Oct the past 8 years and recall almost no rainy days.

I haven't had much rain that I can recall. I have had rough seas from tropical storms, been in a cat 1 hurricane and have been totally rerouted because of a different hurricane. Just keep in mind that anything could change at the drop of a hat and you could be rerouted, delayed, have the the port days could flipped around or changed with different ports. You could feel the effects of a hurricane, but chances are very, very high you won't be in one. The hurricane we were in just happened to be the exception.

I would still sail in September and October.

There is a reason why it's less expensive in Sept/Oct ... Hurricanes and or Tropical Storms are likely. ;)
Less demand more likely.

Summer is over, kids back in school.

No one is looking to escape the cold.

People are out of vacation time.

Etc, etc, etc...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

We LOVE October, its warm but not hot like the summer months and alot less humidity. As far as hurricanes, sure they happen in October but it is towards the end of hurricane season and if there is one out there they will divert the ship and use another itinerary, you won't be in it and October is low rain season. October you find alot less kids as they are in school and prices are decent too. We love missing ports and I have been on 77 cruises and cruised during October and never missed or had ports changed during that time.