What year and what ship was your first cruise?

fla gang

How has cruising changed since your first sailing. In the early 80's people dressed up a lot more before going to dinner every night.

The ships were much smaller, some holding under 1000 passengers.

My first cruise was on Carnival Fantasy two. weeks after 911.

I have been on around 30 cruises since.

It was 1966 and the Oceanic was new. Before we started a family, we wanted a trip and although most people I knew had never cruised, we decided that was the trip we wanted. A few observations: First it was very formal and the dress code WAS enforced. Second there was no nickel and diming and drinks were very cheap. And lastly the price we paid was actually in a similar range of what we might pay if we snatch a bargain today. Supply and demand, perhaps.

1997 Splendour of the Seas, when she was brand new. In today's dollars we paid a fortune but the ambiance, food, service and overall experience

Was unparalleled. With cheaper prices came the crowds and general decline.

What’s funny is that we were on the Splendour in 1998 and talking on that ship about how cheap RCI was getting even back then. At that time they eliminated the theme dinners and the service was on decline.

When Titanic came out and the cruising industry exploded and became mainstream was the start of the end of the glamour of it all.

Like you said, you paid a fortune for it though. Easily double to three times what you pay today for the equivalent cruise iterinary and nights.

1986- Carnival Holiday. It was their newest ship in the fleet at the time and one of the largest. We did a 7 day Caribbean cruise. I booked an obstructed ocean view room. The life boat covered the entire window but we did have light. I can now book a midship balcony for what I paid for that room.

The only buffet was the midnight buffet. They didn't have specialty restaurants and all the meals were eaten in the MDR. There was only early and late seating for meals. We had early seating 6:00am breakfast and 5:00 dinner. At that time you requested your seating time when booking through the travel agent but there were no guarantees and you didn't find out your dining time until you arrived at the ship. There was a cafeteria style station by the pool that offered a late breakfast and lunch. The selections were very limited and not good.

Entertainment was your standard cruise ship entertainment and they even had the hairy chest contest back then. On one of the formal nights you stood in line to take a picture with the captain. Formal night on Carnival, even back then was only a jacket and tie for men and cocktail dress for women. No ball gowns or tuxedos. All I remember doing on that cruise was changing clothes. Got dressed for breakfast, put on a bathing suit for the pool, got dressed for lunch, put the bathing suit back on for the pool, got dressed for dinner. All of the meal and activity scheduling was a turn off . I would never cruise if it was still like that today. I don't remember there being too many chair hogs. I guess having all of the scheduled meals in the MDR helped that situation.

They didn't have the auto tip back then. There were suggested tips for each individual. On the last night you tipped your servers with individual envelopes for the Maitre d', head waiter and assistant waiter and your room steward. I remember seeing a lot of empty seats and tables in the MDR on the last night. People were still avoiding tips even back then.

• Like 1

1986 Premier cruise line (Disney characters) with 2 year old son. 6 months later Song of Norway and 6 months later SS Norway..... we were hooked and have not stopped.

My son had a respite with cruising due to life, pto etc. I took him as an adult on freedom for his “divorce” cruise. You wonder what kids remember. He said mom where are the streamers, where are the table side flambes, don’t they light the cake on their head, where can I go skeet shooting? Great memories, but they don’t do that anymore son.

Now the grandkids...... at 9 and 14 have been on 10 cruises. When we took them on the Jewel, Monarch, Enchantment size ships after the allure/oasis, there was no going back to the other ones. Boarding oasis on Father’s Day with son, two grand girls and a newbie 5 year old who is my sons girlfriends child. Wait til he sees the merry go round. Wait Til grandpa gets the bill, he opted out of this one, said 7 is an odd number.

It was 1966 and the Oceanic was new. Before we started a family, we wanted a trip and although most people I knew had never cruised, we decided that was the trip we wanted. A few observations: First it was very formal and the dress code WAS enforced. Second there was no nickel and diming and drinks were very cheap. And lastly the price we paid was actually in a similar range of what we might pay if we snatch a bargain today. Supply and demand, perhaps.

The dress code was DEFINITELY enforced. If your luggage did not get to your room before dinner on the first day and you were wearing shorts for the day, you were going to the buffet.

2004 Spring break cruise with my high school show choir on Carnival Fascination. We got to perform in. The theater which was very fun. I remember being a teenage dude with lots of friends and just eating and eating. Tried lots of new food, and was so impressed by them always scraping the bread crumbs off the table in between each course. Now have my fifth cruise coming up on Oasis in September with my wife (our third cruise together). This is our first on Royal and hoping we like it as much as our past cruises on Carnival and NCL!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

2002 on the Monarch of the Seas when I was 10 years old...about to sail on my 32nd cruise next week! Sailed on all classes of current RCI ships except Empress (but Cuba is on my short list!)

1990 or 91. Carnival Festivale out of PR. Visited a different island each day. I finally refused to get off the ship and spent the day at the pool. I learned to treasure sea days.

2001 to Bermuda on the Celebrity Zenith. Truly an amazing experience. Over the years little by little things have changed, sadly not always for the best, however after a few dozen cruises it is still the way to go for us.

bosco

2017 on Celebrity Equinox for our honeymoon. It was a really good time, and thought it was still a very cost effective way to vacation.

My wife and I are going on our second cruise in a few days on Harmony of the Seas. We want to try a few different lines to see what we like.

2016 Allure of the Seas

It should’ve been Eastern but Matthew took us west.

Going to Symphony on July!

If I would count cruising between Helsinki and Stockholm as CRUISING, my first ship would’ve been some Viking line ship :D

2009 on Jewel of the Seas! Beautiful ship and itinerary. Now, nearly 9 years later, we are basically Oasis Class veterans, having done Oasis, Allure, Harmony and Symphony in less than 6 weeks.