What year and what ship was your first cruise?

fla gang

June 9th, 2013 Allure OTS for my 56th birthday with my (then) 9yo daughter and 15 family/friends. My sister asked me and my daughter if we wanted to go on a group cruise. We said “what’s a cruise”? Fast forward 60 months and 40 cruises later....... question answered. Hence my screen name.

41 cruises in the past 60 months on 7 cruise lines

1986 - Song of Norway for our honeymoon. Our next was on Sovereign of the Seas and OMG!!! How could they make a ship SO BIG! A 4 story atrium - unbelievable. Fast forward to 2016 when we celebrated our 30th anniversary on Allure. My, how times - and ships - have changed.

1966 - SS Ariadne out of Fort Lauderdale to the Bahamas. More recently 2005 the Grandeur of the Seas.

1966 for me as well - though I was all of 4 at the time! HAL Statendam transatlantic.

i-vNKR7L9-M.jpg

Tom

1996 Song of America 7 nights from Manhattan to Bermuda. One night in St Georges and 3 or 4 nights in Hamilton.

My first ship experience was in July 1951 when my family left Southampton on the Cunard - White Star lines MV Georgic bound for NYC via Le Havre, Cork and Halifax - a 10 day crossing. A great experience for a 10 year old Scot emigrating to America!

Hi,

My first cruise was in 1967 on the long-forgotten SS Miami (four-day cruise to the Bahamas). My first Royal Caribbean cruise was in 1983 on the Sun Viking. Cruising has changed tremendously over the years.

Chuck

In 1988 the brand new Sovereign of the Seas. Largest cruise ship in the world, and no Balcony's... . All the other Carnival, Love Boat ships were so tiny. Now Sovereign/Majesty are considered "small'. Before you would have up to 11/12 cruise ships at Port in Miami on a Saturday, now they are too big...

Celebrity's Galaxy. 1997-Southern Caribbean out of San Juan. We explored the ship, traversed the islands and spent late night hours on the balcony watching the ocean under a full moon. Very few hours of sleep as we were busy taking it all in! When we left the 7 day cruise, we looked at each other and said," we need a vacation from our our vacation!!"

1989. NCL. M/S Starward. Seven days out of San Juan to Martinique, St. Martin, Barbados, Antigua, and St. Thomas.

My Mom and I stayed on the ship in Barbados and ordered nonalcoholic drinks by the pool all afternoon. I was 15 and I felt like a queen. Still one of my favorite memories with my beloved Mom.

Anyone know whatever happened to the M/S Starward?

What a fun thread!

Cheers!

Edited by 2paradise

Splendour of the Seas 5 day out of Galveston - 2004. I waited 20 years for a honeymoon and it was worth the wait!

That was the only time I ever saw caviar hors d'oeuvres being served in the Centrum, and the next-to-last chocolate buffet (that was on Rhapsody OTS 2005)...

1989 on the Britannia ... no clue what line as I just remember the ship name (I was in elementary school).

Was a blast. 4 or 5 night out of Miami to Key West and Playa Del Carmen.

The formal night was supper fancy complete with flaming baked Alaska.

I have loved cruising ever since then ... just cannot go as often as I would like.

1980 Sitmar Fairwind 11 night cruise. Air and hotel the night before was included in the price. Did 4 cruises in the 80’s with Sitmar before they went to Princess. At least I got credit for those Sitmar cruises on Princess.

This was before airlines started charging for luggage, so it was not unusual to pack shoes, purses, and jewelry for every outfit.