Cruise Critic Community
jbeuks

Car and Driver in Amsterdam?

My wife and I and another couple will be in Amsterdam in September for a few days before leaving on an Avalon cruise. I'd like to visit some of the sites north of the city that relate to the Zuider Zee reclamation project, but I find that no organized group tours go to the sites I'd like to see. Has anyone had experience hiring a private car and driver for such a day trip out of Amsterdam? If so, I'd appreciate any recommendations. Thanks.

We just got back from our cruise, and Zuiderzee is fantastic! We took the train up, nice easy trip from Amsterdam Centraal to Enkhuizen, where you can either do a nice stroll to the museum or take the ferry. The train station is right across from the tourist bureau where you purchase your tickets. We got a one day return ticket, as we had hoped to stop in at Hoorn on the way back to see the steam train museum, but ran out of time. Tickets to Zuiderzee for 2 were 32 euros, the train was 46.80 euros. Well worth it and really great to see.

We just got back from our cruise, and Zuiderzee is fantastic! We took the train up, nice easy trip from Amsterdam Centraal to Enkhuizen, where you can either do a nice stroll to the museum or take the ferry. The train station is right across from the tourist bureau where you purchase your tickets. We got a one day return ticket, as we had hoped to stop in at Hoorn on the way back to see the steam train museum, but ran out of time. Tickets to Zuiderzee for 2 were 32 euros, the train was 46.80 euros. Well worth it and really great to see.

I did this in 2010, but in the opposite direction. I took the train from Amsterdam to Hoorn, saw the steam museum, then took the steam train to Medemblik, then a steam boat across to Enkhuizen, then the Zuiderzee museum. After I returned from Enhuizen to Amsterdam. I had a museum card (not the iAmsterdam card; this is a card that gives you free access to more than 400 museums across the Netherlands) which included the steam train, the steam museum and the Zuiderzee museum. I can't remember whether the steam boat across the Ijsellmeer was included or not. I had a gorgeous day; this would have been right at the beginning of May, and there were still views of tulip fields from the steam train.

I am very much a museum person and found that the museum card was very valuable to me. (I purchased it during the cruise, and used it for my extra 3 days in Amsterdam at the end of the trip.)

By the way, I think they make getting the museum card much more difficult for non-residents now than they did in 2010.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Although he will stop doing tours end of this year and he has a vacation planned in September, you might chck with this driver Marius. He has done many tours with tourists. http://www.dagtoertaxi.nl/services.html

We used Marius about 15 months ago and his service was wonderful!!!

Thank you to all who have responded. Because Marius is unavailable when we'll be in

Amsterdam, we have located another guide who has excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. Will report after our tour (in September).

On 5/28/2018 at 10:47 PM, jbeuks said:

Thank you to all who have responded. Because Marius is unavailable when we'll be in

Amsterdam, we have located another guide who has excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. Will report after our tour (in September).

Can you please provide the email to book the private car and driver?

We will be on a disney cruise this summer and we are looking to get a day of the city for all 6 of us with a private car.

thanks

I'm sorry to say that I can't find anything in my records that reminds me of the name or contact info of the guide that we used in Amsterdam, except I think his first name was "Geert."  I'm pretty sure I posted a (glowing) review of our tour with him after we got home in October 2018 -- maybe on TripAdvisor -- so you might search for his name on that site.  Sorry I can't give you more.

Get in contact with the guy that now does Dagtoertaxi. He might be a bit more expensive then Marius, but is a good driver. http://dagtoertaxi.nl/

Or get one of the frequent trains to Enkhuizen. With your ticket to Zuiderzeemuseum (outdoors!) you will get to the museum by small ferry from the station. You can then stay as long as you want. https://www.zuiderzeemuseum.nl/?lang=en

Edited by Ine