Somewhat LIVE - on Ovation: Lisbon - Amsterdam - Copenhagen (and beyond)

NJBelle

Hello NJ Belle. We aboard as well (joined in Barcelona). I agree with your assessment of what’s different on Ovation vs. Encore.

Additional issue I’ve noticed: there are no outdoor heaters in the Patio area, which means that it’s sometimes quite chilly eating at Earth &Ocean in the evening. I’ve commented on this to F&B management, and been told that they will be installed at a later date. It was unclear whether this was a deliberate choice, or just didn’t get done before the official launch.

In any event, passengers who enjoy al fresco dining, should pack an extra sweater. Also remember that staff will provide blankets upon request.

On a different topic — agreed that today’s visit to St. Mary’s in the Isles of Scilly was delightful. Looking forward to Dartmouth tomorrow.

Only 480 - more than a full O class passenger load or more than twice the number on a full Legend, Pride or Spirit:*

When I think of the capacity of the new ships in those terms, I do find it terribly off-putting. And I never even went on the triplets!. The ship with the largest capacity that I've been on was 540 guests and that was too big. The O class ships feel just right to me, never feeling full when they're full.

We sailed on the Encore last fall and enjoyed it thoroughly. This was after experiencing one of the small Silver Sea ships. Quite frankly, we liked it better! More modern, more venues and neither my husband or I noticed more people. I think it would be a shame to scare people off from taking a voyage on Encore or Ovation. We are reluctant to take the smaller ships now.

Jennidallas, we used Culinary Backstreets in Lisbon.

Oh awesome! I’ve used them in Barcelona, Athens, and Istanbul (which I think were there original 3 cities). Their tours (and food blog) are amazing! I just looked at the list of cities and they’ve definitely expanded quite a bit... exciting and we’ll definitely book them for Lisbon!

DCTraveler244, great to hear from you as a fellow current cruiser. Sorry we haven’t met yet - I actually did meet another CC couple at a hosted dinner early on in the cruise and it has been nice to see them from time to time. I have to admit, even this far into the cruise, I am still seeing people that I would swear I have never seen before!

And SLSD and cruiser02, look forward to meeting you in a few days. Hard to believe that we only have just 3 more days left in this cruise. The Officers are arranging a special get together for continuing voyage passengers this evening. So will be nice to see who our fellow travelers will be. We have met a few continuing folks already and everyone seems excited about the next itinerary.

This itinerary has been great. Just had a very enjoyable day in Dartmouth, UK. It was overcast and a bit chilly, but everyone dressed appropriately and I saw no one suffering. We chose the combo Steam Train and Boat trip, along with 130 ish of other passengers. They did a nice job of partitioning us off, so that half did train and other half did boat and then vice verse, and everyone seemed to really have a nice time. However, the tenders were a bit slow and we had to wait quite a bit on both ends. I know weather can be a factor, but this weather seemed pretty normal for the area for the time of the year, so perhaps they could have done a better job of scheduling the departure times and also having an extra tender or two for when the bolus of passengers finished their long day. (Okay, going to stop the kvetching at this point!)

Actually speaking of size of Ovation vs the smaller SB ships, we were talking to another couple while we waited in line to return to the ship. They love the smaller ships and were very hesitant to come on Encore or Ovation. They liked this itinerary, so pulled the trigger. They said they have been delighted and now worry that they won’t like going back to the smaller ships. So, that is one anecdote, but maybe it can assuage some concerns about the larger size.

Different strokes...

I found a full Encore far more crowded in every venue than a full Ody class ship. It’s down to the space per passenger ratio which to me is a key luxury component of a ship. Encore and now Ovation simply cannot compete.

That said, on an objective basis, the Encore’s Observation Bar is stunning and the TK Grill and bar very attractive. Too bad about Encore’s narrow and low clearance outside areas on deck 5, the pool deck on 9, and the MDR and Grand Salon which are roughly the same size as what’s found on the Ody class ships but with 150 more passengers. And forget about the Encore’s boring Club which is actually smaller than the Club on Ody ships!

I would not return to Encore unless the itinerary were very special. Each to his own. And with 5 ships there is plenty of choice.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Sunprince,

I laughed out loud when I saw your post just now!

Ah yes... the Retreat. I can just imagine the committee meeting when all the eager beaver ultra chic hotel designer lovvy wannabees and the grasping new margin-grifter revenue graspers came across this “retreat” idea in a members only travel rag. And then convinced themselves and anyone else who would matter, including (haha) Seabourn Management to underwrite this blatantly stupid idea, on the basis that:

1- Seabourn’s creme de la creme mega-premium passengers “need” to retreat from the rest of the ship into an airless, viewless and cozy enclave of like-minded pampered pooches;

2- the space can command $350 per sea day, i.e. peanuts, for the privilege, and just a tad less on port days. I mean who among us would choose to venture out to some soiled and most likely tawdry port, when one can have your own cabana and bevvies and TV and lounge chair in the Retreat’s uber exclusive and precious realm; and

3- you can thereby deny this large deck area to hoi polloi, aka those “creepy people”, who might trespass up there to take a look at the inner sanctum and wonder at this 2017 (Encore) and 2018 (Ovation) modern day mystery. No way should an all-inclusive ship get away with that! No, what’s mine is mine.

So the Retreat is a winner. Who can argue with that logic? Let the marketing gurus loose and sell that Retreat!

Anyway.... the Retreat will obviously join a precious but sadly long list of embarrassing corporate mistakes, and deliver more fodder for business school students about the importance of speaking sense when confronted by committee-driven nonsense. And how to develop an exit strategy when failure is inescapable and the brand is damaged. These include the Edsel, New Coke, Sony Betamax and very interesting Cosmopolitan Yogurt from 1999. In that case readers were happy enough with the magazine and they did not need a new yogurt. Another mess. Smart idea it was not.

Thanks for the chuckle, Sunprince.

I am sure enough has been written by many people about the Retreat that the point has been clearly made. Quite apart from the lack of revenue from it.

It just needs the great Seabourn brains to find an unembarassing way of changing its use without looking too idiotic.

Just taking a moment to say that we are in the middle of the English Channel, heading toward Europe, on June 6. Thinking in awe of D-Day and happy that I am able to be here.

Sunprince,

I laughed out loud when I saw your post just now!

Ah yes... the Retreat. I can just imagine the committee meeting when all the eager beaver ultra chic hotel designer lovvy wannabees and the grasping new margin-grifter revenue graspers came across this “retreat” idea in a members only travel rag. And then convinced themselves and anyone else who would matter, including (haha) Seabourn Management to underwrite this blatantly stupid idea, on the basis that:

1- Seabourn’s creme de la creme mega-premium passengers “need” to retreat from the rest of the ship into an airless, viewless and cozy enclave of like-minded pampered pooches;

2- the space can command $350 per sea day, i.e. peanuts, for the privilege, and just a tad less on port days. I mean who among us would choose to venture out to some soiled and most likely tawdry port, when one can have your own cabana and bevvies and TV and lounge chair in the Retreat’s uber exclusive and precious realm; and

3- you can thereby deny this large deck area to hoi polloi, aka those “creepy people”, who might trespass up there to take a look at the inner sanctum and wonder at this 2017 (Encore) and 2018 (Ovation) modern day mystery. No way should an all-inclusive ship get away with that! No, what’s mine is mine.

So the Retreat is a winner. Who can argue with that logic? Let the marketing gurus loose and sell that Retreat!

Anyway.... the Retreat will obviously join a precious but sadly long list of embarrassing corporate mistakes, and deliver more fodder for business school students about the importance of speaking sense when confronted by committee-driven nonsense. And how to develop an exit strategy when failure is inescapable and the brand is damaged. These include the Edsel, New Coke, Sony Betamax and very interesting Cosmopolitan Yogurt from 1999. In that case readers were happy enough with the magazine and they did not need a new yogurt. Another mess. Smart idea it was not.

Thanks for the chuckle, Sunprince.

Markham, well done...you have redeemed yourself!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just taking a moment to say that we are in the middle of the English Channel, heading toward Europe, on June 6. Thinking in awe of D-Day and happy that I am able to be here.

Last month on our Quest cruise we stopped in Cherboutg and took a tour to the D-Day sites. We had never been there before and I must say that visiting the American Cemetery and then later walking on Omaha Beach below was among the most moving things we've ever done. The men who mounted that invasion were all truly heroes in my humble estimation.

Last month on our Quest cruise we stopped in Cherboutg and took a tour to the D-Day sites. We had never been there before and I must say that visiting the American Cemetery and then later walking on Omaha Beach below was among the most moving things we've ever done. The men who mounted that invasion were all truly heroes in my humble estimation.

We did the same tour a couple of years ago and I agree 100% with you.

There were a few Brits, Aussies, Kiwis, Indians and Free French there as well:confused:

Here we are on our last day of this cruise. Well, not our last day, since we are staying on for the next cruise, but this 14-day Cruise is coming to an end tomorrow in Amsterdam. We were in Zeebrugge yesterday (for Bruges and Ghent, mostly) and the sail time was 5:30 this morning since we were about 47 feet from our next port. Today we are in Vlissingen (or something similar - I know it was originally Flushing and that is what the NY city is named after). And then tomorrow, we will move again slightly toward Amsterdam for disembarkation/embarkation.

We (and a total of 141 passengers who are continuing on) are thrilled not to have to pack up today. It is great to sit in Seabourn Square and sort through pictures, drink coffee, chat and read. This has been a great cruise and it seems that most agree. We are looking forward to this next leg and I hope the others who will be joining us will contribute to this thread and share their impressions.

Here we are on our last day of this cruise. Well, not our last day, since we are staying on for the next cruise, but this 14-day Cruise is coming to an end tomorrow in Amsterdam. We were in Zeebrugge yesterday (for Bruges and Ghent, mostly) and the sail time was 5:30 this morning since we were about 47 feet from our next port. Today we are in Vlissingen (or something similar - I know it was originally Flushing and that is what the NY city is named after). And then tomorrow, we will move again slightly toward Amsterdam for disembarkation/embarkation.

We (and a total of 141 passengers who are continuing on) are thrilled not to have to pack up today. It is great to sit in Seabourn Square and sort through pictures, drink coffee, chat and read. This has been a great cruise and it seems that most agree. We are looking forward to this next leg and I hope the others who will be joining us will contribute to this thread and share their impressions.

In Amsterdam looking forward to joining you tomorrow !

Having a Spargel ( white asparagus) dinner tonight. It is a passion of ours. We wanted to be here for it's short lived season ending June 26th

We are just off the ship in Amsterdam after joining the Ovation in Lisbon.

A couple of quick thoughts:

Physically, the ship is not even close to as elegant as the Regent Seven Seas Explorer, which we sailed on earlier this year.

But the service on Ovation was the best we have experienced in 15 years of cruising on more than 50 ships -- far, far exceeding the erratic service on Regent.

The service certainly makes or breaks a cruise, and I have no idea how Seabourn manages to recruit, train and retain such a wonderful group of people.

The quality and variety of food on Ovation -- in all dining venues -- was also considerably better than on Regent as well.

I also suspect the new dining venue on Ovation, Earth & Ocean at The Patio, is going to be a winner -- but not on northern cruises until they install some overhead heaters. Brrrr.

Finally, for those who rely on the internet for business while cruising, we approached this cruise somewhat apprehensively but the internet connection and speed was considerably better than we had been led to expect. No problems whatever.

Six hours since we disembarked and we already miss it. We'll be back.

We are just off the ship in Amsterdam after joining the Ovation in Lisbon.

A couple of quick thoughts:

Physically, the ship is not even close to as elegant as the Regent Seven Seas Explorer, which we sailed on earlier this year.

But the service on Ovation was the best we have experienced in 15 years of cruising on more than 50 ships -- far, far exceeding the erratic service on Regent.

The service certainly makes or breaks a cruise, and I have no idea how Seabourn manages to recruit, train and retain such a wonderful group of people.

The quality and variety of food on Ovation -- in all dining venues -- was also considerably better than on Regent as well.

I also suspect the new dining venue on Ovation, Earth & Ocean at The Patio, is going to be a winner -- but not on northern cruises until they install some overhead heaters. Brrrr.

Finally, for those who rely on the internet for business while cruising, we approached this cruise somewhat apprehensively but the internet connection and speed was considerably better than we had been led to expect. No problems whatever.

Six hours since we disembarked and we already miss it. We'll be back.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Good to read positive comments about food and service in particular.

I'm very much looking forward to trying Earth and Ocean when it's rolled out to the O class ships.

As for 'elegance', decor is very much an individual taste 'in the eye of the beholder' and everything that I've seen of the Regent Explorer to me is the antithesis of elegant and is, for want of a better word, 'bling'.

Admittedly I haven't sailed on the Explorer but the photos I've seen, and the tv programme that was shown here in the UK showing the ship being built and the interior design screams flashy Vegas style to me.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Good to read positive comments about food and service in particular.

I'm very much looking forward to trying Earth and Ocean when it's rolled out to the O class ships.

As for 'elegance', decor is very much an individual taste 'in the eye of the beholder' and everything that I've seen of the Regent Explorer to me is the antithesis of elegant and is, for want of a better word, 'bling'.

Admittedly I haven't sailed on the Explorer but the photos I've seen, and the tv programme that was shown here in the UK showing the ship being built and the interior design screams flashy Vegas style to me.

If you like Vegas you'll prefer Regent Explorer. If you like Milan you'll prefer the Ovation.

I think it is all well and good to be a big fan of Seabourn, but not clear why the last two posters would dump on Regent for using real marble instead of faux marble throughout their ship, or using beautiful fine woods instead of veneers. But each to his own.:)

I'm mystified, I can't find reference to faux marble or veneer anywhere in this thread.

I can find reference to "bling" and "Las Vegas style" but Isklaar did qualify his statement with "is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm also intrigued how 'masscruiser2010' knows that the wood used is not veneer, as solid fine timber is rarely used these days because of a/ the cost and b/ movement problems.

Also I have sailed on most of the Seabourn ships since 2010 and the bathrooms have all been real marble

Edited by SKP946

Can I be boring and mundane and ask about power outlets in Ovation Veranda Suites. I was on the Quest this year and wisely took an extension cable as the only power outlet was on the floor. Is the Ovation equipped for the modern era with proper power outlets by the desk?

I think it is all well and good to be a big fan of Seabourn, but not clear why the last two posters would dump on Regent for using real marble instead of faux marble throughout their ship, or using beautiful fine woods instead of veneers. But each to his own.:)

Not dumping on Regent at all. Taste in interior design is subjective. Too much bling hurts my eyes and makes me jittery.

I prefer what we might call Nordic design (I'm from one of those countries) which is rather minimalist. Like the O class Seabourn ships. Their decor reflects SB's original Nordic heritage.

To retaliate for what you see as my dumping on Regent for 'blingy' Explorer, you could refer to my taste as as being rather Ikea style ;)