Alaska Excitement

Hoyaheel

Hoyaheel, put a pair of CuddleDuds under them

I'm not going to wear ankle length pants with shoes & socks. That's my issue, not the actual warmth of the pants. I only wear socks with full length pants ;p

Our little backpacks arrived today!

I'm very happy with this purchase. We took mine on a short hike today. Only carried 2 wide mouthed Nalgene bottles...my phone...the car keys. Just wanted to see how it was.

I was wearing short sleeves and before I adjusted the straps, the plastic adjuster was hitting my arms below the short sleeve length. The pack was riding low...so a quick adjustment there and all was well. DH took a turn just to see how the straps were. The wide straps are nice. The pack feels like it weighs nothing and is very easy to wear.

I would say that the only thing that was noticeable is that is was quite warm this afternoon and the lack of air flow on my back was the only way that I really noticed this cute little pack.

We opted to just get two smaller packs. I was using a string bag at home to make comparisons to the online measurements. I might wish that we ordered bigger ones...but still undecided on that. The pack measurement seems to be the bottom and then it is rounded and narrower at the top of the pack. I'm liking the size...I think it will easily carry the things you want for a simple day...rain jacket(s), water, etc. but not much else, which is appropriate and makes for happy touring.

I got the purple. DS got the gray. The gray is much darker than I thought it would be from the online picture. But it is still gray...no hint of black. I got purple and that was originally out of stock but suddenly it somehow shipped at the same time as the gray. I like the design on the bag. There is a bit of a pattern on the outside that I like.

It's pretty simple...which is great. It's not waterproof. But it's resistant and easy to use...so. Thumbs up!

Our little backpacks arrived today!

I'm very happy with this purchase. We took mine on a short hike today. Only carried 2 wide mouthed Nalgene bottles...my phone...the car keys. Just wanted to see how it was.

I was wearing short sleeves and before I adjusted the straps, the plastic adjuster was hitting my arms below the short sleeve length. The pack was riding low...so a quick adjustment there and all was well. DH took a turn just to see how the straps were. The wide straps are nice. The pack feels like it weighs nothing and is very easy to wear.

I would say that the only thing that was noticeable is that is was quite warm this afternoon and the lack of air flow on my back was the only way that I really noticed this cute little pack.

We opted to just get two smaller packs. I was using a string bag at home to make comparisons to the online measurements. I might wish that we ordered bigger ones...but still undecided on that. The pack measurement seems to be the bottom and then it is rounded and narrower at the top of the pack. I'm liking the size...I think it will easily carry the things you want for a simple day...rain jacket(s), water, etc. but not much else, which is appropriate and makes for happy touring.

I got the purple. DS got the gray. The gray is much darker than I thought it would be from the online picture. But it is still gray...no hint of black. I got purple and that was originally out of stock but suddenly it somehow shipped at the same time as the gray. I like the design on the bag. There is a bit of a pattern on the outside that I like.

It's pretty simple...which is great. It's not waterproof. But it's resistant and easy to use...so. Thumbs up!

Glad they worked out for you! And you got a test run in!

That's one thing i need to do is plan where we are going to hike in skagway. Sounds like there are lots of options.

I've slowly got clothes comming in the mail. A few things have worked but most seems to be going back or getting exchanged for different sizes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Oh, I am so glad that I came upon this thread for Alaska clothing suggestions. My sister and I are part of a large group cruising there in June of 2019. I have 3 Caribbean cruises scheduled before Alaska so currently I am busy prepping for those. This will be my first time traveling to Alaska but I live in Minnesota so have plenty of clothing already that is geared to any kind of weather. I do want to purchase waterproof shoes/boots to wear on excursions as well as a good backpack to carry my camera and necessities in. I am thankful I found this thread and will subscribe to it so I don't miss anything!

Deb

• Like 1

Nessie, Did you find this map already for hiking in Skagway?

http://skagway.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Skagway-Trail-Map.pdf

There are many reviews out there for the various trails...TripAdvisor and many hiking trail specific websites...as well as many blogs if you search for the different trail names.

Thanks! I don't think I've seen that. I've found some other info on it but it's been a while since I've looked at it. There are a lot of great options.

Last year we ended up doing quite a big hike unexpectedly. Didn't have good shoes, or water with us. Will be nice to be a bit more prepared this time around

So me and a glass of wine or 2 spent some more time online looking for clothes. I put a bunch of stuff in a wishlist so now I just have to go back and decide on what to get. I'm hoping I've found the swimsuit that will work. I've already sent at least 3 back.

Deb - you'll have so much fun! There are quite a few Alaska packing lists around here if you search, since we're not always specific here ;-)

Ordered another rain coat from Eddie Bauer yesterday. Didn't like the fit of the Marmot I got from ReI :-( My old llbean goretex jacket is still fine but it's 11 yrs old (it went on my 2007 AK cruise!) And it's lime green. I want something black and more trench like, so....

Deb - while I adore my goretex walking shoes, we do a ton of travel in wet and cool places. If you don't want to spend the money, a waterproofing spray from Amazon (or Walmart or a camping store) usually does a good job on shoes for a single trip ;-)

Husband ordered a new outdoor research goretex sombrero. I think he's pretty close to set. I want to get him new fleece socks for the balcony. We use them as travel slippers and his old ones are threadbare....

I dont use a list at all. I'm trying to not overpack but always end up doing it anyway when I cruise.

Using a list (I have a Word document and also powerpoint where I can mix & match my pieces to show day/evening outfits) helps me NOT overpack. I have a standard packing list and just adapt the clothing to type of trip & climate....

99% of the time we're flying when we travel, but we have at least 1 checked bag included so that's not my concern. I like to take public transport (or we rent apartments and might have to walk up a few narrow flights of stairs or over bridges etc) So I don't want to carry too much - I want to be able to manage my stuff on the street, not just in a smooth airport hallway. For instance, for our AK cruise (to keep on topic ;-) we're probably going to take the SkyTrain from the Vancouver airport and it's a couple blocks walk from the station to our hotel and right now we're planning to walk it.....

Using a list (I have a Word document and also powerpoint where I can mix & match my pieces to show day/evening outfits) helps me NOT overpack. I have a standard packing list and just adapt the clothing to type of trip & climate....

99% of the time we're flying when we travel, but we have at least 1 checked bag included so that's not my concern. I like to take public transport (or we rent apartments and might have to walk up a few narrow flights of stairs or over bridges etc) So I don't want to carry too much - I want to be able to manage my stuff on the street, not just in a smooth airport hallway. For instance, for our AK cruise (to keep on topic ;-) we're probably going to take the SkyTrain from the Vancouver airport and it's a couple blocks walk from the station to our hotel and right now we're planning to walk it.....

I think if I traveled more I might have one. Sounds like it makes packing easier. We only get to travel about once a year. I really enjoy the packing process. Gets me even more excited to go. I'm going to try and not go crazy with packing but since we dont have to fly I don't have to worry about limits.

I don't usually take the time to make an actual list. I gather and contemplate all the options on the bed for each vacation. I often think having a list would make my life simpler...

Hoyaheel...do you have a master list? Like however many shirts (sleeve length determined by agenda) and however many pants, over shirts, etc.? Or do you have the list already itemized with specific articles of clothing?

Most of laundry is done around here...I'm about to begin the gather and contemplate phase of my packing. We leave for the airport a week from tomorrow!

Hoyaheel...do you have a master list? Like however many shirts (sleeve length determined by agenda) and however many pants, over shirts, etc.? Or do you have the list already itemized with specific articles of clothing?

I do have a master list but it's not as specific as number of items - I customize that based on the specific trip too. But I have categories to make sure I think about (whether or not I include anything from that category) For lots of trips (like the trade shows I do for my husband's company every year) I'll copy the previous year's list and update with new items of clothing or customize based on temp - but the trips are pretty much the same each year so I start with a good idea of how many of each item to bring. Same for lots of my work trips, so I'm not starting from scratch each time.

I find if I don't work from some kind of list/powerpoint, I will start throwing in a lot of "oh I like this shirt" but then it doesn't match anything else. But if I think ahead of time "I really want to bring XYZ" then I can plan a cohesive wardrobe that includes that item....

Hi girls, I am one of those people who never makes a list. Never have...…..I pretty much know what I want to bring and go from there:)

Repetitive travel would make list making handy. Especially if you take the time to make notes about the list...what worked. What didn't. What you wish you had, etc.

I don't travel often. So I've never developed a list.

I start with looking at the excursions. What do I need to do those? Anything special?

We're going kayaking in a glacier fed bay...that requires the most specific clothing. We're also going fishing, and wearing waders, so that will also require something more specific to be compatible and comfortable for those days.

I've figured out my Alaska touring days.

Vancouver is looking to be very warm for us! Highs around 80! Still need to figure that out.

Still need to figure out our travel days...including two more car intensive days post cruise...and cruise evenings. I don't think I'll want to wear what I'm wearing in port to dinner...not that I plan to dress up necessarily.

cruise evenings. I don't think I'll want to wear what I'm wearing in port to dinner...not that I plan to dress up necessarily.

One thing I often do is wear what I've worn for (casual) dinner on Tuesday night during the day on Wednesday, for example. A couple of hours of light wear in the evening and it's probably fine to wear during the following day......Then, as needed, I can wash & dry and wear again on..Thursday night? (assuming 1 day for drying ;-) Or we do a load of wash & dry in the ship self-serve laundry.....

One thing I often do is wear what I've worn for (casual) dinner on Tuesday night during the day on Wednesday, for example. A couple of hours of light wear in the evening and it's probably fine to wear during the following day......Then, as needed, I can wash & dry and wear again on..Thursday night? (assuming 1 day for drying ;-) Or we do a load of wash & dry in the ship self-serve laundry.....

I'm thinking in particular about a pair of cargo leggings that I plan to wear several times in port. I love them...they have 4 pockets...two open leg pockets and two zippered leg pockets. My camera slips easy into one and I imagine keeping my sea pass in a zippered one. I'll wear leggings all around, but it feels wrong to wear this particular pair into the MDR.

That's why I think I'll change for dinner!!

Celebrity doesn't have self serve laundry...

I always end up wearing the same few things over and over again even though I plan for everyday. Last cruise since we only had 2 weeks to prepare, I found a dress I liked and got it in 4 different colors/patterns. Made it easy.

I'm pretty set for port days. Since we dont have anything planned except a light hike it will be Jeans, tshirt, sweatshirt, and light coat. And I'll bring my hiking shoes.

Now I'm trying to plan my ship outfits. We like to dress for formal nights since we dont have the opportunity in our regular lives. And I'll wear a dress and heels other nights. Just not sure what ill bring yet.

Anita Latte how many days now? It's getting close right? I think you are the first to cruise from our little group here haha.

Anita, you will be sailing out on a gorgeous sunny day in Vancouver next week. Lucky you, better than our typical showers.

To all Alaskan cruisers, remember to bring gloves, warm hat, and scarf plus a wind/ rain resistant jacket. Some of those ports can be wet and chilly, esp. Skagway.

If you don't have a warm enough jacket, they sell them everywhere up there.

If you are lucky, you get a great day where it's warm enough to wear sandals and capris.

Alaska is fun. Lots of Eagles, whales, seals, bears etc.

cruzisme...yes! I feel so fortunate with the Vancouver weather forecast!

Nessie...I wear the same things over and over too. I bought a pair of pants and I knew I would love them, I knew I would wear them all the time, so I bought two of the exact same pants. I wear them ALL the TIME! Same thing with shirts...I'll buy the same shirt in several colors. Especially active wear...which I wear a lot.

Our cruise is a week from tomorrow...BUT...we leave Tuesday night. We drive to the airport Tuesday evening and are staying at a hotel near the airport that night because we fly out first thing Wednesday morning but live 90+ minutes from the airport.

Really getting down to the wire! OMG!!

Anita - I hope you have a fabulous time!!!

We live an hour from the airport (at least) so I try to avoid 6am flights, but not always possible We have to get up at 3am to get ready/drive etc. I call that the a$$ crack of dawn flight :') and yes, we do have those scheduled for our trip to Vancouver at the end of August....

Husband just got his new OR rain hat (he has an old one that he uses for work so it's a bit run down, and another that's just the wrong color - it was on sale on Amazon so he got a new black one - very spiffy! The OR sombrero has a great wide brim to prevent rain from going down your neck and it does a pretty nice job of keeping rain off our glasses if it's not too windy....)