Carry on wine????

moom

OK my question is when you pay the fee do you get to take the wine to your room or they take it and bringit to you at dinner?? As well can you bring a wine in a bag box or just a bottle?

After you pay the $15 corkage fee, they dont care where you take it. If you bring a case on board they will take it to the resturant for you........ but most folks bring it to dinner themselves. As for the larger bottles, they WILL try to charge you a double corkage fee.

In Jan we are sailing on Carnival for the first time in about 8 years and was surprised to find that we can bring 1 bottle of wine or champagne aboard each to celebrate a special occasion. Rule below.

"Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board. However, if celebrating a special occasion while on board, one bottle of fine wine or champagne may be brought on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise."

J

In Jan we are sailing on Carnival for the first time in about 8 years and was surprised to find that we can bring 1 bottle of wine or champagne aboard each to celebrate a special occasion. Rule below.

"Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board. However, if celebrating a special occasion while on board, one bottle of fine wine or champagne may be brought on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise."

J

And the 2 times we've been onboard Carnival they weren't picky about the number. Both times I had 2 bottles of wine packed in luggage with no problems at all, no corkage fees, no confiscation. Things may have changed since then, but I'm going off my latest experiences.

OK my question is when you pay the fee do you get to take the wine to your room or they take it and bringit to you at dinner?? As well can you bring a wine in a bag box or just a bottle?

They collect the corkage on all bottles brought (if detected) onboard. Once paid you can drink it in your cabin or bring it to dinner. They will store it for you if you want.

I don't remember where but I read that there is a new rule on NCL, you can bring wine and you pay corckage fee only if you bring it to the dinner table, but you don't pay if you drink it in your cabin. Does anyone know if it is true?

Thanks everyone for the answers. Good to know exactly what the corkage costs.

Carnival is $10 and they charge it when you bring it to the table. This is also at the waiter's discretion so they don't always charge you every time.

So it they charge the corkage when you board, do you attempt to hide it in luggage or just carry it on in a wine box. Do they limit the number?

We have never had any trouble getting wine on Carnival. We actually rolled on a 22" suitcase with 13 bottles when six of us traveled together. They kinda rolled their eyes at us, but didn't stop us.

Thanks Penny............

I see your 2 weeks away from the Sun. Have a good time. its one of our favorite ships.... booking again for spring break this year.

J

Not to hijack this thread, so my apologies to the OP:

Thanks jsaadat. We'll be happy to leave Nebraska in January, that's for sure! Hey, just noticed the Carnival cruise you speak of is on the Conquest, huh?! I'll be on her this summer. Hope you enjoy it and come back and give us a review. I'll be eagerly reading all I can about her to feed my post-cruise depression after the Sun and plan for this summer (here's hoping those nasty old hurricanes don't ruin all my fun in August). :p

Our experience on the NCL Spirit Dec 18-28 is that NCL actively seeks and charges for each bottle of wine you bring on board. Or they impound it until the end of the cruise. Almost every time you board the ship you must put parcels through a scanning machine.

There are, of course, ways to improve your chances of getting around this outrageous practice of forcing you to buy NCL's alcohol products. Use your imagination!

BTW, while people write that drink prices are "reasonable," here is the truth: the pour size in mixed drinks is miniscule. Meanwhile the prices NCL charges for wine bottles are unconscionable compared to street value. The "reasonably" priced bottles on board ($25-30) have a USA retail value of $4-6 (including US duties, which NCL doesn't pay for wine they serve on board). SHAME!

Thanks Harold! I will have to see if my imagination can help me with this! Read lots of posts on wine and alchochol! I think we will for sure do the romace package! Then see about the drinks and if they have daily drink specials at a special price!

The "reasonably" priced bottles on board ($25-30) have a USA retail value of $4-6 (including US duties, which NCL doesn't pay for wine they serve on board). SHAME!

That is totally untrue - The wine prices onboard are equal to or less then land based restaurants.

Here is the list - find me a $4 retail wine. that sells for $30

http://www.ncl.com/download/faxback/4800.pdf

troll.jpg

Shoreguy,

I agree with your post that NCL's prices are not out of line on their wines. They're priced pretty much in line with mid-range restuarants out here on the left coast but they are priced higher than what I'm used to seeing retail (wine shop retain, not restuarant retail). Two examples - the Ravenswood Zin is their low end. Priced at $26 on the ship but can be purchased at Trader Joe's for under $10. The other is the Spanish Rioja for $30. I'm pretty sure I've seen it at Trader Joe's for right about $10.

Also, I think the markup is greater (and more noticable) for wines at the low end of price range. As the wholesale price goes up, they're charging much less markup. The Duckhorn's in the $90 range probably retail closer to $60.

So, if you're just looking at markup, those higher priced wines probably provide a greater value. But I also think they've done a very nice job in selecting their wine list. Those lower priced wines I mentioned above are good wines at a very reasonable price.

I also think it's unreasonable to expect NCL to price their wines like we were stopping by the local wine shop. I think those "street prices" might represent something more like wholesale pricing on closeout wines.

So here is my question. Last year we were on X. My wife would order a bottle of wine with dinner, she would have a glass or two and they would save it for her the next night. On NCL is that same option available, even if you are using different restaurants on different nights? Would the waiter/ wine guy go find her wine? If we took the wine with us after the first meal would they charge us to uncork it at another restaurant the next evening?

So here is my question. Last year we were on X. My wife would order a bottle of wine with dinner, she would have a glass or two and they would save it for her the next night. On NCL is that same option available, even if you are using different resturants on different nights? Would the waiter/ wine guy go find her wine? If we took the wine with us after the first meal would they charge us to uncork it at another resturant the next evening?

Just like X - they tag the bottle centrally store it and it is available in any other resturant the next night. You can also take the bottle with you to drink in the cabin or another bar.

Sorry only one corkage:D

Archived