VOOM....... awful

The consistency of the connection may have as much to do with where the ship is located as is the room location. We were on Anthem in the Caribbean and had a very solid connection the whole trip. Our next Baltic cruise on Brilliance may not be as solid connection wise. I'm going to keep following and decide if we invest in a Voom plan or not.

I don't mind staying connected during my vacations as I am very good at not using my phone/tablet all the time. I do like using it to fetch information and stuff during the daytime activities, but after the day wraps up and resting in the room, I like to send an update and our days highlights to our kids and family. Even on vacation I don't mind spending a few minutes for my important friends and family. I don't have any work related calls or contacts so I like to stay connected. Anyway, my friends and family know where I am and don't pester me for silly stuff. It also helps that I shut off the Facebook app and just use Hangouts when onboard. So only my closest friends and family can contact me ;)

I would be very hesitant to be critical about those who chose to stay connected as they may have very legitimate reasons for it. But I also understand those people who need to disconnect totally and respect their reasons for it.

dp

The consistency of the connection may have as much to do with where the ship is located as is the room location. We were on Anthem in the Caribbean and had a very solid connection the whole trip. Our next Baltic cruise on Brilliance may not be as solid connection wise.

In that comparison, the connection probably has more to do with the type of internet system on the ship, than location of ship or room location. Anthem has O3B, Brilliance does not.

In that comparison, the connection probably has more to do with the type of internet system on the ship, than location of ship or room location. Anthem has O3B, Brilliance does not.

I assume, that the Radiance has equally sucky internet?

JC

Actually a lot of people seem to assume that the connection will be as good as their home on a wired network, or their personal wifi.

And seem to be upset with the crew when it is not so.

Corporate marketing is to blame for people's unrealistic expectations. The crew onboard gets caught in the middle,when reality doesn't meet those expectations.

I was on the Allure in May and found VOOM to be very reliable. It seemed to work better on the Allure than when I was on the Oasis. On Oasis it seemed spotty at times but on Allure it was great. Had the same cabin-ans same phone on Allure and Oasis. Just worked better on Allure!

Ha ha, well said!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well yes, because it's advertised as such. If it said to connect to a dial up speed connection no complaints

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well yes, because it's advertised as such. If it said to connect to a dial up speed connection no problem

The advertising doesn’t promise any performance- the only marketing that is slightly questionable is that it is the fastest at sea - some CCL related ships may have faster connections.

Getting cut off mid-use is a valid complaint. Its not supposed to knock you off the net when you're using it. Slow internet speed is expected.

When I was on the Grandeur, I kept getting cut off. At first, the IT manager thought my code may have been compromised because that is what happens when you log on from a different device using the same code. I had a PC and my phone with me on my last trip on the Grandeur in April. The first day was fine, but then the second day afterwards, I kept getting kicked off the wi-fi mid-use and would not be able to connect for like 5 - 10 minutes afterwards. At first, he gave me a new code. That worked for a day and then started cutting me off again later.

The problem is, there's not much the IT person can do other than offer you a refund. The IT manager did say some settings could cause me to get kicked off. I asked him what settings were those, so I could verify, but then he dodged that question totally without answering it. That was infuriating because he was trying to go IT on me, and when i asked him to elaborate, he shut down leaving me question exactly how much IT experience this guy really has.

In my situation, since he told me about how a conflict could cause me to get kicked off, I scored two codes for the internet because I asked him if it was possible that my computer and my phone were conflicting and attempting to log in automatically. I knew it shouldn't because my previous cruise last year allowed me to do it without any problem, but he was the one who brought up the conflict. So that's how i scored two codes. He told me not to switch codes and keep them specifically for each device. I got slightly more reliable connections after that, however, it still boggles the mind that I get kicked off both on my PC and my phone at different intervals mid-use. I say mid-use because the one thing the IT guy could confirm, is that its not suppose to happen if you're using it. It DOES kick you off if your phone/computer goes to sleep but will relog you in when it wakes up. The odd thing about it, is that if you're idle for 2 hours or more, you need to relog back on. I never had to relog back on. I just had an issue of staying on when I connected. It became obvious that it is the codes that have issues, and not the router itself. I guess it was not that big a deal to give me a 2nd device as I was a solo passenger and didn't really have anyone else to give it to. I'm at a loss of why this happened this time when it didn't happen last year on the same system.

• 11 months later...

On the Brilliance now on TA. no disconnects but surf and stream is not worth the cost. Streaming is pretty much just YouTube. Endless load time trying to use Netflix etc. Email and basic web browsing is OK

On 5/26/2018 at 2:20 PM, KMagz said:

Had the same disconnect issue on Harmony. Until I checked off the WiFi option to “connect automatically” to the network. Worked flawlessly from then on out.

I have a gut feeling this was the OP's issue. A lot of people don't do this on their phones. For my phone, it is automatically checked off.

7 hours ago, resjes said:

I have a gut feeling this was the OP's issue. A lot of people don't do this on their phones. For my phone, it is automatically checked off.

While it was a year ago now, we did have "connect automatically" unchecked. As l said we were advised that "IT were aware of problems and looking into it".

As for useage location - room, schooner bar, lounge, by the pool bar - everywhere.

And yes, l know  we were on a ship out in the ocean - but it was advertised as "the fastest internet at sea"!

4 minutes ago, Sancho_proudfoot said:

... but it was advertised as "the fastest internet at sea"!

It was the fastest internet on that ship that day.  (You have to understand Royal's marketing BS).

My understanding is that all of the ships use O3b when they can as it is by far the best option (O3b has better latency and beam steering). The one complicating factor with O3b is the fact that coverage is limited to the far North and South.

8 minutes ago, tomatosauce said:

My understanding is that all of the ships use O3b when they can as it is by far the best option (O3b has better latency and beam steering). The one complicating factor with O3b is the fact that coverage is limited to the far North and South.

O3b service requires competely different equipment than the older geosync service.  I'd estimate only around half of Royal's ships are equiped for O3b.

31 minutes ago, tomatosauce said:

Coverage is better closer to the equator and non existent in the far north and south.