Crown Loft vs. Grand Suite - Oasis

You should know though, that if she uses the TV (and coffee maker) downstairs.

you will still hear everything upstairs because all that is separating you is this sheer curtain:

Re balcony size: It's nice (this from Oasis 1730/L2) - note that partitions between are frosted but I could see neighbors shadows when they were on their balcony.

Also think hard about the fact that you're not looking directly out at the ocean, and that might be something that you'll really miss (I live by the beach though, so that's probably not as important to me as some).

All that said, I have to say that I have NEVER regretted upgrading anything LOL :D

Have a wonderful honeymoon!

I know what I hear and don't hear but thanks anyway. If you've sailed in a CLS then you know there's a big difference in the location of the coffee maker and TV in that suite compared to a GS. Just sayin'... Of our last 5 Oasis Class cruises, 4 have been in an L1. We live in Rhode Island where everyone is close to the beach but still enjoy that ocean view. Never bothered trying to see neighbors through the frosted glass. Is that a thing people do these days? Anyway, love the Crown Lofts and hope the OP will too.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Dates are pretty much set for 10/21/18. The CL Aft is running $6,100 and the GS is running $4,900. All the comments are not helping because they are such good arguments for both haha. As much as I love the CL itself, and the WOW factor, I am not sure the value is quite as much as the GS and will we be spending that much time in the room?
Um, Honeymoon?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

... The CL Aft is running $6,100 and the GS is running $4,900. ...As much as I love the CL itself, and the WOW factor, I am not sure the value is quite as much as the GS...

My approach is to ALWAYS go for the most you can get for the best value. This doesn't always mean buying the MOST expensive. The rate you stated for the GS is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the CL with an additional $1,200 cost. You can literally pay for ALL your excursions with those $s and since the amenities for both are EXACTLY the same, the only REAL difference is in the particular "style" of the room and... that is basically IT. You have to ask yourself if simply having a 2-level room is worth 25% additional cost beyond the GS.

Not certain why "proximity" to the CK is being listed here as much of a benefit. You are on a cruise and are going to be walking a lot around the ship. Unless you are a gazillion years old or are using a walker (LOL) simply walking an extra 100 feet (or so) isn't going to be any huge benefit anyone would be willing to burn an extra grand on. Think of the memories from the tours that would be made with those $'s spent in a more logical way.

I know what I hear and don't hear but thanks anyway. If you've sailed in a CLS then you know there's a big difference in the location of the coffee maker and TV in that suite compared to a GS.

Sorry Big-G, please forgive me, didn't mean to step on your post - somehow I actually thought I was answering the OP (that's why all the pictures) and just wanted to help him. Also why I said to "Have a wonderful honeymoon" :o

Of our last 5 Oasis Class cruises, 4 have been in an L1. We live in Rhode Island where everyone is close to the beach but still enjoy that ocean view.

Which is why I mentioned that if he would miss the sea view to consider it. Again because I thought I was talking to OP. <sigh>

Never bothered trying to see neighbors through the frosted glass. Is that a thing people do these days?

Of course not, but like John&LaLa said about something else lol:

Um, Honeymoon?

Guess for me a nice glass of Pino Noir and looking at CC don't play well together!

Sorry Big-G, please forgive me, didn't mean to step on your post - somehow I actually thought I was answering the OP (that's why all the pictures) and just wanted to help him. Also why I said to "Have a wonderful honeymoon"

Guess for me a nice glass of Pino Noir and looking at CC don't play well together!

No harm no foul. Nice pics.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

My approach is to ALWAYS go for the most you can get for the best value. This doesn't always mean buying the MOST expensive. The rate you stated for the GS is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the CL with an additional $1,200 cost. You can literally pay for ALL your excursions with those $s and since the amenities for both are EXACTLY the same, the only REAL difference is in the particular "style" of the room and... that is basically IT. You have to ask yourself if simply having a 2-level room is worth 25% additional cost beyond the GS.

Not certain why "proximity" to the CK is being listed here as much of a benefit. You are on a cruise and are going to be walking a lot around the ship. Unless you are a gazillion years old or are using a walker (LOL) simply walking an extra 100 feet (or so) isn't going to be any huge benefit anyone would be willing to burn an extra grand on. Think of the memories from the tours that would be made with those $'s spent in a more logical way.

Have you sailed Oasis in a suite?

CK is attached to the SL

The deck 17 cabins can pop in for a free drink from 11am to 11:30 pm without steps or elevator.

You can also grab a couple and head back to your balcony.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Deck 17 is a semi-private deck. It has a different vibe. Penthouse level. Wide corridors, relatively quiet, laid back, very close to the SL, CK, WJ, pools. It is really nice being able to stroll to dinner without having to get on an elevator or climbing stairs. An oasis on the Oasis. These are the unquantifiable perks that make the lofts unique and special. Over the course of a week it makes a difference.

Have you sailed Oasis in a suite?

I have not nor but you can already tell from my prior posts that I think the OP would gain greater benefit in spending the extra $'s for excursions.

Deck 17 is a semi-private deck. It has a different vibe. Penthouse level. Wide corridors, relatively quiet, laid back, very close to the SL, CK, WJ, pools. It is really nice being able to stroll to dinner without having to get on an elevator or climbing stairs. An oasis on the Oasis. These are the unquantifiable perks that make the lofts unique and special. Over the course of a week it makes a difference.

Sounds similar to NCL's Haven area and I could see the how draw for the peace, serenity & privacy could be important on an overly crowded cruise. I aware 1 point but personally would not pay an extra grand for the privilege... personally

CK is attached to the SL

OK, not worth $1,200 IMHO

The deck 17 cabins can pop in for a free drink from 11am to 11:30 pm without steps or elevator.

1. I like to walk and often take stairs even when elevator's are available so the absence of steps aren't of any value (to me) but have no issue with others who may view it differently.
  2. My wife is allergic to alcohol so I award ZERO points for this "benefit" but thanks for playing along

You can also grab a couple and head back to your balcony.

I think swinging went out of style back in the 70s, didn't it? :o:evilsmile:

That WAS an attempt at more humor but the second point above is applicable if you meant .. grab a couple OF DRINKS...:halo:

Edited by ndabunka

I have not

Sounds similar to NCL's Haven area and I could see the how draw for the peace, serenity & privacy could be important on an overly crowded cruise. I aware 1 point but personally would not pay an extra grand for the privilege but then again I also won't let a valet park m y$100K sports car either so... LOL

OK, not worth $1,200 IMHO

1. I like to walk and often take stairs even when elevator's are available so the absence of steps aren't of any value (to me) but have no issue with others who view it differently.
  2. My wife is allergic to alcohol so I award ZERO points for this "benefit" but thanks for playing along

I think swinging went out of style back in the 70s, didn't it? :o:evilsmile:

That WAS an attempt at more humor but the second point above is applicable if you meant .. grab a couple OF DRINKS...:halo:

Ok, have you even been on an Oasis ship?

It's like a 10-15 minute walk from say deck 6 forward to the Deck 17 cabins.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Ok, have you even been on an Oasis ship? It's like a 10-15 minute walk from say deck 6 forward to the Deck 17 cabins.

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for a stroll but if it bothers someone they could easily book a GS on a deck higher than 6 & even then, the GS on deck 6 are located within a few feet of the elevators on the Oasis class ships

Edited by ndabunka

CLS are great rooms and we really enjoy deck 17. The two bathrooms, high ceilings and large windows give the rooms a much more open feel than any "traditional" room I have stayed in. Proximity to CK/SL are not super valuable, but they are nice, especially for coffee and breakfast. With those things said however, I do not think I would spend the extra $1,300 as that would cover airfare and/or dining, excursions, etc. Just my $.02, you will have a great time in either room. Sky Class is worth the cost, at least to us.

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for a stroll but if it bothers someone they could easily book a GS on a deck higher than 6 & even then, the GS on deck 6 are located within a few feet of the elevators on the Oasis class ships
It's also a ten minute wait on the elevator. [emoji6]

It's a convenience thing.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

It's also a ten minute wait on the elevator. It's a convenience thing.

Understand the convenience factor but most would not spend an extra $1,200 but perhaps they would pay an extra $200 for "not having to wait" and they could then also add the value of near-instantaneous access to alcohol to their balance sheet if that is a priority to them so given enough variables like free cash flow and current interest rates, some may not view the $1,200 premium as a barrier (Hopefully you are still reading the humor intended in this prose) :D

Understand the convenience factor but most would not spend an extra $1,200 but perhaps they would pay an extra $200 for "not having to wait" and they could then also add the value of near-instantaneous access to alcohol to their balance sheet if that is a priority to them so given enough variables like free cash flow and current interest rates, some may not view the $1,200 premium as a barrier (Hopefully you are still reading the humor intended in this prose) :D
Plenty of more expensive cabins on the ship, so I guess there are folks willing to pay.

Just like there are many folks who let the valet park their 100k sports cars. [emoji6]

Speaking of which, the vast majority of folks on these boards would never consider dropping that kind of money on a toy car. [emoji33]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Due to our work schedules and Family commitments my DH and I only cruise once a year, and book a CL on ships that have them or GS on other class.

Now as retirement approaches and the opportunity to cruise more will occur, we will set our sights on GS and not CL to have the opportunity to be at sea more often.

Yea price is a factor.

And love the comment about a sports car......no....we do not have one............

Have to putter around on the restored 66 GTO.

Sea Ya

Due to our work schedules and Family commitments my DH and I only cruise once a year, and book a CL on ships that have them or GS on other class.

Now as retirement approaches and the opportunity to cruise more will occur, we will set our sights on GS and not CL to have the opportunity to be at sea more often.

Yea price is a factor.

And love the comment about a sports car......no....we do not have one............

Have to putter around on the restored 66 GTO.

Sea Ya

Wow...I bet your 66 GTO is super cool! Great way to cruise! :D

My puttering around sports model has a kitchen, full bedroom, bath and half, four TVs, a fireplace, and washer and dryer. AKA "Land Yacht"...now you want to talk about dropping some disposable income? :eek::o And talk about fueling that beast! :o

The Beast (66 GTO) or DH's pride and joy has been a part of the family for almost 30 year.

Bought it in Cleveland Ohio circa 1987 for $2000.

Needed much loving and replacements of damaged parts.

The only non original part is the engine, could only replace with a 67 GTO Tri cam.

Yup. know my cars.

Have known my husband for over 30 years and have never driven the car.

No plans on it either, do not want to be the reason it gets a boo boo.

Oh when we built our house, we built the house around a four car garage.

What the heck, keeps the DH busy and makes for a happy marriage.

Later

DH & I only book a GS because we like the “open” floor plan and not having stairs even though we are very physically active. We also love the large double sink bathroom in the GS. We watch tv and read on the bed so the entire downstairs of a loft is a waste for us leaving us with a smaller upstairs bedroom. DH removed the upgrade option from our preferences out of fear of getting a loft.

Without a doubt, the CLS. They are something special. The other suites are nice...but there is really a WOW factor with that double height room. Two bathrooms. The upstairs shower is quite large with a overhead rainfall feature and room for two. There is a makeup table with lighted mirror. The tv folds down from the ceiling by remote control. The large curtains that cover the two story windows can be opened and closed electronically from two locations. The dining table is on tracks and can be rolled back against a wall for more room. Depending on the room location on the back, you can watch shows at the aqua theatre from the balcony. You can also see folks playing mini-golf..flowriding..zip lining..playing basketball. The balconies are not private, nor are they quiet. But they are great for people watching. If you want quiet, the sliding glass doors do a remarkable job of keeping the noise out of the room. My favorite part is how quiet and desolate the corridors outside the rooms are. Because of the limited access, you won’t hear noise from the hallways. We never hear slamming doors.Of course the choice is yours. Just wanted you to know that the CLS’s aren’t only about the package perks that come with it. The room itself is pretty great and unique. Nothing like them on other ships.

You make a good case and I agree. I just wish Royal would include an additional perk or two for the extra $$. Included tips would be nice. If Celebrity can offer 4 perks for a Sky Suite, why can't Royal toss an extra perk or two into the mix for the much larger, more luxurious, and far more expensive Crown Loft Suite?

I would book the Grand Suite. This is your honeymoon, and I'm guessing privacy will be important to you. Just sitting on the loungers looking out at the ocean and talking about where you hope your lives will take you are memories to cherish. I don't think that would be the same with basketballs bouncing and people yelling and screaming.

Wishing you a long and happy marriage!

A lot of great comments on here and have been very helpful. Someone said to to book the GS and see what price changes happen with the CLS which is what I think I’ll do.

While I love the idea of being on 17 and all the great perks of that, not exactly worth $1200. I think this thread will help a lot of people making the same decision. Thanks for all the advice!

The Beast (66 GTO) or DH's pride and joy has been a part of the family for almost 30 year.

Bought it in Cleveland Ohio circa 1987 for $2000.

Needed much loving and replacements of damaged parts.

The only non original part is the engine, could only replace with a 67 GTO Tri cam.

Yup. know my cars.

Have known my husband for over 30 years and have never driven the car.

No plans on it either, do not want to be the reason it gets a boo boo.

Oh when we built our house, we built the house around a four car garage.

What the heck, keeps the DH busy and makes for a happy marriage.

Later

Sweet!! Yeah, and I read this to my DH...he is walking around singing "Little GTO" now. ;) :cool:

Happy husband...happy life. :D

A lot of great comments on here and have been very helpful. Someone said to to book the GS and see what price changes happen with the CLS which is what I think I’ll do.

While I love the idea of being on 17 and all the great perks of that, not exactly worth $1200. I think this thread will help a lot of people making the same decision. Thanks for all the advice!

You are most welcome. I totally agree that you made the wise choice.

Wishing you a wonderful happy marriage and a fantabulous cruise! :) Congrats!

For your honeymoon I would stick with the GS as others have advised. It will be more romantic and private since you will have an ocean side balcony. Also, the money saved can be used for extras like the spa, fun excursions, romantic specialty dinners! Just my 2 cents. We have stayed in GS, OS, RFS, ATS, and will be trying the HA CL for the first time this July. Looking forward to it for our extended family cruise!

Disclaimer, we have only cruised in a GS and not an L1.

Had the choice been between an L1 and a GS with maybe a $600 (total) upcharge, maybe we would choose the L!. But an L2 at that extra $$, nope.

We booked 2 GS's for my husband and I and the other for our family. One member needed a wheelchair (for distances). The first day she used it to get to CK but after that she walked. Our GS's were on the 8th deck and as already stated, very close to the elevators. I loved the fact that Central Park was right outside our doors and a lovely place to walk through.

We wanted the slightly larger balcony and I think we made the right choice. I hope one day to try the L1's, just for the experience.

Happy Honeymoon!