Enhanced ID

Hello all,

My family (husband and 3 young children) are traveling on a cruise in June. My children and I have our birth certificates, however my husband does not have his. I see enhanced ID listed has a valid proof of identification.

Has anyone traveled only with an enhanced ID? If so did you have any problems??

Where is your husband's birth certificate? They are easy to access on line.

This does not answer the OPs question and is unhelpful.

OP, according to this website, https://www.passportsandvisas.com/cruise/lines/carnival-cruises

Carnival Cruise Lines strongly recommends all of our guests travel with a valid passport. However, as of June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens embarking on a cruise that both originates and terminates at the same U.S. port are not required to have a passport, but will need proof of citizenship such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license () as well as a government-issued photo ID. Children are also required to bring proof of citizenship, and if 16 and over, a photo ID is also required.

Where is your husband's birth certificate? They are easy to access on line.

If this was a quick option I would. He was born in PR and the copy we have is too old. They have a new copy and it’s very difficult to access. Between the hurricane and special documents needed it isn’t easy. My aunt has waited over 4 months for hers. It is also over $100. We could renew his passport for less but we already have the ID!

what? it would not be helpful to have your birth certificate, I don't know how you could possibly take it any other way. Enhanced ID is state specific, not offered in all states yet.

I live in Florida. We have an enhanced ID.

This does not answer the OPs question and is unhelpful.

OP, according to this website, https://www.passportsandvisas.com/cruise/lines/carnival-cruises

Carnival Cruise Lines strongly recommends all of our guests travel with a valid passport. However, as of June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens embarking on a cruise that both originates and terminates at the same U.S. port are not required to have a passport, but will need proof of citizenship such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license () as well as a government-issued photo ID. Children are also required to bring proof of citizenship, and if 16 and over, a photo ID is also required.

Thank you so much! 🙏

What state do you live in? There are only 5 states (more or less) that issue Enhanced drivers licenses...all of them are in close proximity to Canada and all will require the new PR birth certificate to issue the Enhanced drivers license.

All the other states are in compliance with the Real ID type of license (or are in the process of compliance).

Real ID is not a form of Enhanced ID and will not work as ID to board a ship unless accompanied by a birth certificate.

If he has an expired passport it may be used to obtain a new one if it has not been out of date for the time described by the Passport Agency. There are a few passport offices scattered across the US that will process a new or renewal in one day....check it out.

Florida has Real ID....not Enhanced ID....confusing words but there is a big difference.

The following US states currently offer EDLs:

• Michigan.
  • New York.
  • Vermont.
  • Washington

Unless I am not understanding it correctly it says the enhanced ID would be acceptable for US CITIZENS. If he was born in PR then he would not be considered a us citizen in which case he would need the passport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unless I am not understanding it correctly it says the enhanced ID would be acceptable for US CITIZENS. If he was born in PR then he would not be considered a us citizen in which case he would need the passport.

Op not sure if PR are considered US citizens or not. Depends on what google article you read! Anyway I would get the passport just to be safe. You can get expedited service.

People born in Puerto Rico are US citizens.

Op not sure if PR are considered US citizens or not. Depends on what google article you read!

Google is not your friend. People born in Puerto Rico ARE U.S. Citizens. See the U.S. State Department website. (The only thing they can't do is vote in Federal elections as long as they are in P.R.; once they come to one of the 50 states, they can.)

Florida does NOT have a WHTI approved Enhanced DL. An Enhanced DL will have the American flag embossed on the DL.

Florida has a new Real ID compliant DL

Hubby will need to get a passport, passport card, or the new birth certificate from PR.

Florida does NOT have a WHTI approved Enhanced DL. An Enhanced DL will have the American flag embossed on the DL.

Florida has a new Real ID compliant DL

Hubby will need to get a passport, passport card, or the new birth certificate from PR.

Yeah, this surprised me as well when I research Enhanced DL states. I couldn't believe only 4 states have them thus far. Not sure what the hold up is.

Not sure what the hold up is.

I am no expert, but getting an EDL requires, besides a lot of paperwork, a face to face interview and fingerprints, I believe.

Note: I found a website that lists 5 states that issue EDL's.

IMO, those states that issue the EDL's do so out of demand. They are in locations that require a lot of cross border, land or sea travel (to Canada, or from Canada to the US).

As has been noted in this thread, you have RealID license in FL, not an enhanced license. Unless you husband can get his passport renewed or a passport card, he will not be sailing. And you are cruising in June? How long ago did you book? How long have you known about this? There was a thread here within the past year about someone who was refused boarding because he/she had the old PR birth certificate. Claimed not to have known about the reissue. EM

I'm going to stop reading right there and others may point this out and I apologize if they do but you do not have an enhanced ID, Florida doesn't issue them. Only 5 states issue Enhanced Drivers Licenses. What your husband may have is a REAL ID compliant ID which does not act as a stand along document to prove both citizenship and identification. So at this point you need to get a copy of his birth certificate or renew his passport.

I live in Michigan and just received my "enhanced license". I had to fill out a special form and to provide my passport. I was told I could pass through the border, board planes and travel to American territories with this license.

This is from Carnival's website:

State Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)

The State Enhanced Driver's License cannot be used to travel by air outside the United States.

Several states are working with the Department of Homeland Security to develop an EDL for U.S. citizens residing in their states. This document will denote both citizenship and identity and will facilitate the entry process at land and sea ports of entry. The words ‘Enhanced Driver's License’ as well as the American flag will appear on the license. The following states issue this type of WHTI-compliant document: Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont and Washington.

A Driver's license with a gold circle with star cutout in the right upper corner is a Real ID driver's license; it is not an Enhanced Driver's license and cannot be used as proof of citizenship but can be used as picture identification.

OP, does your husband have an enhanced drivers license issued from one of the states noted above? If not, I'm very nervous for you that if he shows up with his ID only and nothing else, he is going to be denied boarding. If your cruise is in June, I would get his passport renewed ASAP using the rush renewal (you'll have to pay a fee).