Internet - Diamond

As stated in my previous post I am returning to Royal after nearly 2 year hiatus.

I can't remember the price on board for Internet and what we get as diamond discount.

It's 25% off if you book in advance so 23.98 per day for my fiancé and I. ($71.94 total). Would that be cheaper than what we get off with our diamond discount? I think Diamond is 20% off?

Sent from my STV100-1 using Forums mobile app

So then it pays to book on board with diamond since 20% off is only about $12.50 off.

Thanks

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

The pre-cruise "sales" are usually for Surf & Stream. Onboard, you can choose either Surf or Surf & Stream.

We were told in no uncertain terms by the wifi/IT person onboard last week that there is no bandwidth/speed difference in the two, the only difference was what the package ALLOWED the user to do (i.e. stream). We verified this when we bought 1 day of the stream package and it ran a FB Live post just fine, while when we bought the surf package for the rest of the cruise, videos would buffer endlessly and not play well. The surf packe works just fine for wifi calling and VPN (even though not technically supported).

FWIW, Carnival's packages are structured similarly.

We were told in no uncertain terms by the wifi/IT person onboard last week that there is no bandwidth/speed difference in the two, the only difference was what the package ALLOWED the user to do (i.e. stream). We verified this when we bought 1 day of the stream package and it ran a FB Live post just fine, while when we bought the surf package for the rest of the cruise, videos would buffer endlessly and not play well. The surf packe works just fine for wifi calling and VPN (even though not technically supported).

FWIW, Carnival's packages are structured similarly.

That's awesome. Thanks for letting us know.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Forums mobile app

We were told in no uncertain terms by the wifi/IT person onboard last week that there is no bandwidth/speed difference in the two, the only difference was what the package ALLOWED the user to do (i.e. stream).

Which would you rather believe - he was straight up lying to you or he didn't know?

There's a demonstrated speed diff between the two tiers - about 10x diff between Surf and Stream.

Anyone been on Enchantment and can tell me if there is a difference between surf and surf & stream? FaceTime is what I need the most.

Download speed will be much better on Stream and something you'll likely need for any video related app like Facetime.

Really? Last time I used stream (2 years ago) I could hardly hear on occasion.

A lot factors go into whether performance will be good/acceptable - the ship (O3B or not), time of day, number of users online and tier of service bought.

Prices onboard may vary, depending on the ship itinerary and length of sailing.

With very few exceptions, the pricing on board has been consistent, maybe one the few with RCI. Since Jan it's been $16/day for Surf and $20/day for Stream.

With very few exceptions, the pricing on board has been consistent, maybe one the few with RCI. Since Jan it's been $16/day for Surf and $20/day for Stream.

The above was for a May sailing onboard price. Been watching for our Harmony cruise in November, and sale price is now 13.99 for surf + stream. Our other cruises are too far out to show a price yet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums