Island hopping to Ambergris Caye

Ariel1985

This will be our 6th cruise but 1st time to Belize. We frequently take excursions outside of the cruise ship but am worried to do this with Belize being new to us/a tender port. I’m really interested in taking the 15-20 min flight to Ambergris Caye, though. Thoughts?

Easily done, assuming you have the time in port. It's around 20 minutes to the airport from the tender pier. And you'll need to check flight schedules for both Maya Island Air and Tropic Air. Although they typically fly every hour. It's the return that you need to pay attention to. Flight times are Belize times and may be different from your ship's time. Best to return where you land at Belize International at least an hour before last tender to ship.

This will be our 6th cruise but 1st time to Belize. We frequently take excursions outside of the cruise ship but am worried to do this with Belize being new to us/a tender port. I’m really interested in taking the 15-20 min flight to Ambergris Caye, though. Thoughts?

I'm doing it on July 8th! We are snorkeling and booked privately with someone who is managing our flight, excursion, and return back. Everything I've read makes it sound very easy! I'm just a little concerned about the safety of taking the taxi from the port to the municipal airport.

Thanks, guys. We’ll be in port from 8-5, so a pretty long time. If we do go to Ambergris Caye, we’ll definitely go with a reliable tour operator. I’ve been looking at Grumpy and Happy, and they seem really reliable. Thanks again!

Thanks, guys. We’ll be in port from 8-5, so a pretty long time. If we do go to Ambergris Caye, we’ll definitely go with a reliable tour operator. I’ve been looking at Grumpy and Happy, and they seem really reliable. Thanks again!

We are using Grumpy and Happy- they've been awesome to work with so far!

• 6 months later...
On 6/1/2018 at 10:47 AM, mmclaughlin01 said:

I'm doing it on July 8th! We are snorkeling and booked privately with someone who is managing our flight, excursion, and return back. Everything I've read makes it sound very easy! I'm just a little concerned about the safety of taking the taxi from the port to the municipal airport.

Just wondering how your excursion went.

• 2 months later...
On 12/11/2018 at 10:45 PM, geeko1 said:

you dont need a tour. rent a kayak and paddle out to the reef and snorkel.  there are tie offs at the reef for the kayaks.

Is this possible from Harvest Caye?  We are stopping there Jan 2020 and I would prefer Not to pay for ship tour,  but hesitant to ferry to Placencia for private tour.  We are parked from 8-6.

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 3:09 PM, catsngoats said:

Is this possible from Harvest Caye?  We are stopping there Jan 2020 and I would prefer Not to pay for ship tour,  but hesitant to ferry to Placencia for private tour.  We are parked from 8-6.

Too far from Harvest Caye.  You'd have to ferry to Placencia and then taxi to their airport.  Much longer flight to Ambergris Caye from there. 

But beautiful snorkeling in the cayes around Placencia, Go take a private tour.

• 1 month later...

We are also looking at doing this.  We see Shore Excursioneer offers a day for 3 people at $460.  Happy and Grumpy offers it for $265/person, so $795.  I know Happy Grumpy would be private, but that is the only real difference I see.  Is it worth $335 more to go with Happy and Grumpy?  Has anyone ever used Shore Excursioneer?  TIA

• 3 months later...

I know this question is a couple of years old but we've done it twice now. Go outside the gate of the port and catch a cab to the municipal airport. We booked our flights online. We came back about 1.5 hours before the ship left.
Rented a golf cart on AC and beach bar hopped. FUN!
If you search my posts from a few years ago, you'll find my complete review of going over to AC for the day.