Cruise Critic Community
Anita Latte

Trip Report: ALASKA. Northbound Hubbard Glacier. Millennium. June 22, 2018.

Thank you so much for sharing! I really appreciate hearing that...I've been thinking about doing what a PP suggested and making this thread into an eBook. I do love to write...and since all this material is here...I could get through the learning curve of making an eBook with a mostly written manuscript. Also...this thread was written under the old forum which had stricter picture restrictions...I was thinking about adding a few more photos.

Anyway...I'm not a very experienced cruiser. Just Bahamas, Caribbean and this Alaska trip. However, one thing that I know for certain that sets Alaska apart is the fact that when the ships dock in Alaska, at least at the ports that this sailing visited...the ship is right there in the action. You are not stuck in some more industrial area of a port...nor are you miles away from the city that is of more interest (like many European itineraries). It's very tempting to try to maximize everything in Alaska and that may be what suits, BUT you can easily take a much more relaxed approach to Alaska and simply BE.

I'd love to get back to AK next year...but right now, the cruise I have booked is on NCL's Bliss for October 2021. I think we have the last sailing of the year booked. October 9? I know that many tours will not be in operation and things may be shut down...but I know that there is enough to see and do without having to do anything major. This ship is expensive but I really think it will be a good ship for AK and the itinerary goes to Glacier Bay, even with the RT. Going for easier flying this time...so thinking that the late season will be great to balance the expensive ship with budget excursions.

I hope you have a great sailing next July. I think I've read that the helicopter pad is open and available for the Hubbard day since they created the Retreat up on the top forward deck. I have to say that if that is the case...and you can get on that helicopter pad...definitely bundle up and get out there. Having been on the upper deck, I think being on a lower deck would be much more impactful for the size of Hubbard...and on the helicopter pad, you will not be battling the view through the railings. Also...you will be able to hear the ice crackle as the ship sails into the bay and may have a better shot at hearing the glacier itself. I don't recall hearing the glacier much up there where we were.

Anita, I just discovered this review. We did this cruise btb in August. Reading this has brought back back many great memories. I am only on page 11so am looking forward to the rest. Thank you for doing this. Your pictures are fantastic!

On 10/28/2019 at 7:25 PM, misspuss said:

Anita, I just discovered this review. We did this cruise btb in August. Reading this has brought back back many great memories. I am only on page 11so am looking forward to the rest. Thank you for doing this. Your pictures are fantastic!

Thank you misspuss! I really appreciate the feedback...

Loved your review, it gave me many idea’s and help changed my view of things

Hi Anita, 

I loved your trip report!  It took me several days to read it all.  🙂  Because I was carefully reading it all.  I've had an Alaskan NB from Vancouver to Whittier for June 2020 booked for awhile now but just started working on my excursions.  I'm going to go with the much easier typical guided tour stuff b/c I'm not a hiker etc. but I still was interested in what you were saying about places I'm going to go to.  You've made me rethink the helicopter stuff b/c I had ruled that out.

Anita,

What a wonderful report....we are just back from our 15 nights on the Constellation, Singapore to Dubai what a great trip. Love the Constellation the crew are just wonderful. It’s due a refit in March, it’s still in good condition but will be wonderful after refit.

Just finished your trip report over two nights....jet lag had me up and about during the night!

We are on the Millennium North and South bound from the 22nd May 2020. Looking forward to seeing it after it’s refit.  We figure what we miss on the way up we will catch on the way down. Your trip report has been fantastic for planning. I am a bit late with booking excursions due to all the planning I did for the Asia cruise so I better get cracking now. 

We we have been to Vancouver 18 months ago.....loved it including our ten days waking in the Canadian Rockies, the scenery was just amazing.

Happy future cruising.

Hi Anita,

I know I'm really late to the party here but just wanted to say a massive thankyou for your review. New to cruising we did our first ever cruise ( and I just wrote a review on it as there were no other new reviews to read ) in Jan on the Reflection to ABCs. We have our second cruise booked for Feb 2022 on the millenium. I was looking for Millenium reviews and came across yours & loved it. I loved your planning, I loved your story & your photos were amazing .Although on my bucket list I think reading your review has made me decide that Alaska isn't for us. Please dont take this negatively as I think it looks amazing & your review was so positive.  But ...I dont like the cold...I'm not really an outdoorsy person ,I dont enjoy hiking,  my husband is allergic to fish.  Having grown up with my dad as a keen weekend fisherman,  and not getting an option to do other things I now have an adverse dislike of fishing!  So I think based on this I have decided Alaska isn't for me! Thankyou again for the review . I've binged read it over the last couple of days ! 

That you for the feedback! I do not take your conclusion that Alaska isn't right for you negatively! LOL. I could counter a lot of what you concluded...for instance, Alaska can be very warm, especially inland or just NOT in SE Alaska where most cruise destinations are. People are often surprised at how warm lower temperatures are in Alaska...it's so common that there is a lot of info out there on how the angle of the sun hits the majority of your body, so instead of overhead sun, the sun is actually hitting you sideways and more of your body gets it. It's like laying down in the sun all the time. But the big reason I would agree with your conclusions is that you say your aren't an outdoorsy person...and I think the great outdoors is one of the main reasons to visit Alaska, so if that's not your thing, then I wouldn't think Alaska would be an appealing vacation at all!

Millennium has undergone a major dry dock since my review...I've read positives and negatives regarding the "revolution" but have yet to experience it myself. I haven't been on any M-class ship that has been "revolutionized" so don't know about the current state, but I have enjoyed M-class so much. Feb 2022 will be here before you know it...I hope you have a wonderful cruise!