St. George or St. George's?

MisterBill99

What is the correct spelling for the port in Bermuda, St. George or St. George's? I think it's the former, with St. George's being in Grenada. But Cruise Critic lists it as the latter on the port page. I noticed this because when I looked at the Oceania cruise I have booked this summer (which has an overnight in St. George), the Roll Call page listed it correctly as St. George, but did not hyperlink it to the port page as it did for other pages. I could see having the port page for the correct spelling and then have some cruises that spell it the wrong way not get the hyperlink. But having the page for the wrong spelling makes no sense.

Amusingly, they also claim that our Portland, Maine stop is Isle of Portland (England). They also list the cruise as a "U. S. Atlantic Coast Cruise" rather than "Canada/New England". I'm guessing a lot of people do not find Oceania's New England cruises using this site.

I reported this to the community@cruisecritic.com address but as with all of my previous attempts to report things there, it's been a black hole with no acnowledgment or reply. If there is a moderator here or someone who can actually get someone at CC listen to them, feel free to report it on my behalf.

For anyone who cares to check it out:

Here's the port page: https://www.cruisecritic.com/cruiseto/itinerary-37552/

Here's the Oceania itinerary: https://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=59

Edited by MisterBill99

I would not get stuck up on St. George or St George’s.

The port is located on St. George’s Island. It is in St. George’s Harbour. It is also in the Town of St. George which is on St. George’s Island and in St. George’s Parish which includes St. George’s Island, St. David’s Island, Tucker’s Town and some smaller islands.

Calling the port St. George’s is correct. If Oceania says they are going to St. George that is also correct. So the answer is St. George’s or St. George. [emoji3]

What needs to be corrected by Cruise Critic’s is Isle of Portland on Oceania’s itinerary. LOL.

Edited by Charles4515

I would not get stuck up on St. George or St George’s.

What needs to be corrected by Cruise Critic’s is Isle of Portland on Oceania’s itinerary. LOL.

Thanks for the explanation. I wouldn't care that much about the spelling if not for the fact that CC isn't properly accounting for the different spellings.

As for Portland, you must admit it's impressive that the ship gets from Boston to the UK and then back to Halifax in 2 days :D! Cruise Critic does have a port page for Portland, Maine, so I'm not sure why it picked up the wrong one for this cruise.

As for Portland, you must admit it's impressive that the ship gets from Boston to the UK and then back to Halifax in 2 days :D! Cruise Critic does have a port page for Portland, Maine, so I'm not sure why it picked up the wrong one for this cruise.

Perhaps Cruise Critic got the wrong itinerary from Oceania. Oceania does do Portland UK as a port. Someone in Oceania marketing may have made the mistake. Or autocorrect did it as both places are cruise ports.