Unable to connect to wifi on board

Punam

Tech said one side of ship router was stronger

(WARNING: commencing geek operations)

I'd actually lean towards this explanation for pure connection issues (as opposed to issues with the Celebrity login software to authenticate internet package subscribers, or issues accessing sites with particular browsers). Maybe "stronger" is not the best word... but more effective.

In the most normal of circumstances, WiFi signal propagation can be... well, exciting. :rolleyes: Even in a normal environment, antenna placement can have a major impact on your ability to get and keep a connection. Here's a great example of one guy's challenges in providing WiFi for his apartment - a very short video showing how signals travel as affected by walls, etc.: https://youtu.be/6hcK9B4HHY8.

When you add a metal cruise ship with lots of metal walls to the equation, as well as multiple users competing for the same router channels... I can see the potential for challenges. The latter point about users is particularly important; I'm sitting at a desk literally under a router access point, and I can still have periodic connection issues depending on conditions.

In my opinion, there's no magic fix here. The folks in the next cabin could have a much better connection simply because of geometry. The best bet is that if you have specific issues, at least bring them up to the tech staff on the ship - what equipment you're using, and (important) where you're having the problem. That can help them in adjusting and improving their network configuration - if not on your cruise, then for passengers that will follow.

--bruce T.

P. S. Geek out, y'all! :cool:

DISCLAIMER: I am an employee of HP. My opinions and social media posts do not necessarily reflect their policies.

Yikes, if it was the wireless adapter drivers, I'm lost, but I'll wait to hear back from you before I panic.

In the words of Douglas Adams' "Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy": Don't panic! :D

You can use the following link with instructions for HP Support Assistant (which is probably already installed on your laptop) to update the wireless adapter drivers (along with other software). Oh, yeah - and it also does some other cool stuff, too. :cool:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03467905

--bruce T.

DISCLAIMER: I am an employee of HP, but my views / opinions and social media posts do not necessarily reflect HP policy.

(WARNING: commencing geek operations)

I'd actually lean towards this explanation for pure connection issues (as opposed to issues with the Celebrity login software to authenticate internet package subscribers, or issues accessing sites with particular browsers). Maybe "stronger" is not the best word... but more effective.

In the most normal of circumstances, WiFi signal propagation can be... well, exciting. :rolleyes: Even in a normal environment, antenna placement can have a major impact on your ability to get and keep a connection. Here's a great example of one guy's challenges in providing WiFi for his apartment - a very short video showing how signals travel as affected by walls, etc.: https://youtu.be/6hcK9B4HHY8.

When you add a metal cruise ship with lots of metal walls to the equation, as well as multiple users competing for the same router channels... I can see the potential for challenges. The latter point about users is particularly important; I'm sitting at a desk literally under a router access point, and I can still have periodic connection issues depending on conditions.

In my opinion, there's no magic fix here. The folks in the next cabin could have a much better connection simply because of geometry. The best bet is that if you have specific issues, at least bring them up to the tech staff on the ship - what equipment you're using, and (important) where you're having the problem. That can help them in adjusting and improving their network configuration - if not on your cruise, then for passengers that will follow.

--bruce T.

P. S. Geek out, y'all! :cool:

DISCLAIMER: I am an employee of HP. My opinions and social media posts do not necessarily reflect their policies.

Yes, our friends connected without a problem (same side of ship as we were, but they were on 9th floor and we were on 6th) We could sometimes connect with the android, but not the laptop, and even the android was hit or miss.

Ok, there was no problem logging on at Starbuck's. But that connection isn't secure which makes me wonder if the ship connection is different, and that was the problem? Thanks for any and all help!

Try going to a breakfast place that has free wifi that you have to sign into using their sign in code.

On our last cruise I had trouble logging into the wifi from my phone. Then I realized I needed to type in login.com in order to sign in using my password. Once I did that everything worked fine.