Just off of the Horizon, mixed feelings

nicole9s

The ship doesn't revolve around 3 people but thousands who have to share. I'm reasonably confident you can eat on Lido in well under 90 minutes.

Carnival could just eliminate the dining rooms altogether and install a trough. Then they could cut back on staff and service even more. It's a win-win.

It was only on sea days, but that is when we really just wanted to hang out in the Havana area. I know the Horizon did add more cabins to the Havana area than the Vista had. I believe the Vista now added the additional cabins as well. It was mostly the "chair hog" scenario, most of the comfortable big circular loungers just had towels and books on them with no people. And with this area so small, it is very easy to tell if the people are just in the pool. Pool was empty, hot tubs were empty but chairs were all taken with towels. We never had this problem last year on the Vista, always somewhere to sit. This trip we did sit on our private patio more due to the chair situation.

We have 5 sea days on our upcoming 8 day. Which we were kind of looking forward too just relaxing, could care less about the ports this time. Sounds like I might have to be the bad guy and move some towels. Did the area itself seem crowded?

LOL

good point.

Guess I will be notifying staff when I see people without wrist bands on. Not that it will help, I guess.

Will let you know how things are on our cruise at the end of August. Having paid extra for the exclusivity of the Havana area will cause me to have zero tolerance for chair hogs and I sort of look forward to any confrontations with any obnoxious New Yorkers who think that they "are special."

LOL

good point.

Guess I will be notifying staff when I see people without wrist bands on. Not that it will help, I guess.

It might help some, but security is responsible for the whole ship, and not just for Havana. If someone wants a wall, they are on the wrong cruise line. That would be Royal. ;p

It might help some, but security is responsible for the whole ship, and not just for Havana. If someone wants a wall, they are on the wrong cruise line. That would be Royal. ;p

LOL Okay, you have a point.

But seriously? It's not that. I don't want a wall, I just want what I paid for. To relax in an area that is reserved (until 7pm anyway) for only those staying in that immediate area. If people can get up in arms about the mere thought that someone would *gasp, the horror* share a beverage package? I don't think it's too much to ask that just anybody not be allowed back in Havana when that's not what the rules state. Personally, I would never dare try to sneak in there if I wasn't staying there, but that's me.

We have 5 sea days on our upcoming 8 day. Which we were kind of looking forward too just relaxing, could care less about the ports this time. Sounds like I might have to be the bad guy and move some towels. Did the area itself seem crowded?

We might not of thought it was crowded but we had our previous sailing in the Havana on the Vista to compare it to. Adding those 18 cabins seems to of made a difference. Or it could of just been more sunbathers on this cruise out of NYC.

We are not port people either. One of our ports were cancelled this trip and we were fine with that. I have to say the pool in the Havana area was never crowded, just the chairs. But not crowded enough to make us not go again! There was only two days we couldn't find a chair, and those were sea days.

one thing I just remembered with the Havana talk. One afternoon we were taking the elevator down to 5 and there was a group of three in their late teens/early 20's in bathing suits, with towels. They then walked thru Ocean Plaza loudly proclaiming that they'd better be let into the Havana area, with all the Carnival cruises they've been on, they deserve to hang back there. I was really tempted to follow them and see what happened :giggle:

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I think I remember a group coming in that we only saw one day. Because the area is so limited, you kind of recognize the people that should be there, you see the same faces everyday. But one of the sea days that we couldn't find a chair, there were a group of people that was not there days before or after. I heard from other Havana guest the next day that they saw staff ask that group to leave. I noticed two women had on beige wrist bands and we were all issued neon green wrist bands for our cruise. We had the beige ones for the Vista. So they must change the color so people don't give their old wrist bands to friends/family going on a cruise to access the Havana area. But as soon as you order a drink and have to show hour S&S card, the bartender will ask you to leave if you don't have a "Havana" sticker on your card. We did see staff ask a few people to leave during the cruise. Some people asked if they could just walk out to look, and they usually let them do that.

Hi Nicole, Thanks for all your information. I know you were traveling with your son, btw, he is adorable, so you probably didn't go to the Serenity Deck but did you happen to notice how "packed" it was and if there is any chance of getting a lounger mid morning or early afternoon... I know there are chair hogs and that is always a problem. We will be on Horizon in August so maybe some more of the kinks will be worked out then

did you happen to notice how "packed" it was and if there is any chance of getting a lounger mid morning or early afternoon
I would have to assume that during those times parameters the only way you'll get a lounger is immediately upon seeing someone get up to leave. Unless of course it's overcast or rainy, then your odds increase, LOL.

LOL Okay, you have a point.

But seriously? It's not that. I don't want a wall, I just want what I paid for. To relax in an area that is reserved (until 7pm anyway) for only those staying in that immediate area. If people can get up in arms about the mere thought that someone would *gasp, the horror* share a beverage package? I don't think it's too much to ask that just anybody not be allowed back in Havana when that's not what the rules state. Personally, I would never dare try to sneak in there if I wasn't staying there, but that's me.

We did see one Havana couple what looked like bringing in another couple. The Havana couple we recoginized, the couple with them did not have wristbands on. Of course I should of just been enjoying my cruise and not worrying about other people but I kept watching them! Waiting for someone to come over and ask them to leave. They looked very uncomfortable, as they should be, and didn't stay long. I guess it was too stressful thinking someone was going to discover them at any minute. You kind of get used to the faces and you can tell when someone else doesn't belong.